Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images

Question New person with Claytor Epedition question

I was looking at the Claytor Expedition as a first hammock/experiment. I like it because of the price, happy medium on weight, and the "by adventurers, for adventurers" feel to their web site. On the web site they say their Jungle model is longer, allowing you to lay diagonally, for flatter more stable position. That suggests that the other models are too short for that. Is being able to lay more diagonally a big enough deal to consider an HH instead? It's the idea the whole HH Asym line is based on I assume. While the HH's Freudian entry method is kind of cool, I'm not that crazy about 1) velcro, 2) non-removable mesh, 3) the inability to lounge on it sideways, 4) the slight price diff. ---> tarps I got, I'm sure I can rig up my own fly. 5) seems like it would be a pain getting in and out if using a sleeping bag. I was wondering if there was any major consideration I'm missing, since I know nothing about hammocks yet. Is the Claytor Expedition considerably less comfortable than their Jungle and/or the HH models? Or are they all so amazing it won't matter? Or do I have to invest an initial $90 to discover it for myself (the most likely to happen scenario anyway ) . Guess I'm just wondering if I should go with my initial gut and get the Claytor, or does "everybody" end up with a HH in the end, or wish they did? According to the "what brand" poll on WB, a huge majority of hangers are in HH. Are they on to something?

I'm 5'-8", 170-ish.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    You're right on the edge at 5'-8" as to whether you can lie diagonally in an Expedition, I'd guess. You might want a longer hammock, or talk to Tom about a return guarantee if you can't get comfortable.

Yeah, lying diagonally in a traditional style hammock is a pretty big deal; otherwise you're shaped like a banana with an aching back or trying to get your hammock to tympanic tension between two poor, bowing trees.

As for alternatives, for a hammock with bug protection my opinion is that the Hennessey is the easiest, most bomb-proof option -- no zippers to fool with, easy in-and-out through the bottom, etc. But some folks don't agree with that at all. If bugs aren't an issue, any ol' darn hammock big enough to get diagonal in works pretty well, IMHO.

If the Jacks ever come out with a bigger version of the bridge hammock, though, I'm really wanting to try that!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by urbansix View Post
    I was looking at the Claytor Expedition as a first hammock/experiment. I like it because of the price, happy medium on weight, and the "by adventurers, for adventurers" feel to their web site. On the web site they say their Jungle model is longer, allowing you to lay diagonally, for flatter more stable position. That suggests that the other models are too short for that. Is being able to lay more diagonally a big enough deal to consider an HH instead? It's the idea the whole HH Asym line is based on I assume. While the HH's Freudian entry method is kind of cool, I'm not that crazy about 1) velcro, 2) non-removable mesh, 3) the inability to lounge on it sideways, 4) the slight price diff. ---> tarps I got, I'm sure I can rig up my own fly. 5) seems like it would be a pain getting in and out if using a sleeping bag. I was wondering if there was any major consideration I'm missing, since I know nothing about hammocks yet. Is the Claytor Expedition considerably less comfortable than their Jungle and/or the HH models? Or are they all so amazing it won't matter? Or do I have to invest an initial $90 to discover it for myself (the most likely to happen scenario anyway ) . Guess I'm just wondering if I should go with my initial gut and get the Claytor, or does "everybody" end up with a HH in the end, or wish they did? According to the "what brand" poll on WB, a huge majority of hangers are in HH. Are they on to something?

I'm 5'-8", 170-ish.
    the shorter 8 ft expedition gave me a neck ache in less than 30 seconds,i sent both expeditions back and got 2 jungle hammocks in exchange at no extra charge with out the tarps neo

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiker9...ec=group&slk=1
    Last edited by neo; 05-01-2008 at 13:29. Reason: added a link
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    You're right on the edge at 5'-8" as to whether you can lie diagonally in an Expedition, I'd guess. You might want a longer hammock, or talk to Tom about a return guarantee if you can't get comfortable.

Yeah, lying diagonally in a traditional style hammock is a pretty big deal; otherwise you're shaped like a banana with an aching back or trying to get your hammock to tympanic tension between two poor, bowing trees.

As for alternatives, for a hammock with bug protection my opinion is that the Hennessey is the easiest, most bomb-proof option -- no zippers to fool with, easy in-and-out through the bottom, etc. But some folks don't agree with that at all. If bugs aren't an issue, any ol' darn hammock big enough to get diagonal in works pretty well, IMHO.

If the Jacks ever come out with a bigger version of the bridge hammock, though, I'm really wanting to try that!
    it started with hennessey hammocks,i dont use them anymore,i am a die hard claytor jungle hammock fan.the double bottom is great for inserting your sleeping pad,plus bugs cant bite thru the double bottom,i am the owner moderater of a yahoo claytor hammock group neo

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiker9...ec=group&slk=1
    Last edited by neo; 05-01-2008 at 13:30.
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    Ah - the Hennessy Scout is listed at 254 x 145 CM (narrower than their Asym line) and says it's good for ppl up to 5-10. That is basically the same length as the Claytor Expedition, but Claytor doesn't state their width. Can somebody verify the width of the Expedition? If it's in the neighborhood I think I 'll get one to try out.

Almost can't beat the price of the Scout.....

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by urbansix View Post
    Ah - the Hennessy Scout is listed at 254 x 145 CM (narrower than their Asym line) and says it's good for ppl up to 5-10. That is basically the same length as the Claytor Expedition, but Claytor doesn't state their width. Can somebody verify the width of the Expedition? If it's in the neighborhood I think I 'll get one to try out.

Almost can't beat the price of the Scout.....
    it is 48 inches wide neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    Same as the scout. Excellent. Thanks Neo. I like the litany of features on the Claytors a lot better. Guess I will be taking the blue pill

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post

I don't care for a bottom entry fixed netting type hammock...personal preference of course. I like easy access to all the crap I leave lying under my hammock.

I do take exception to the necessity of a diagonal sleep position. I sleep flat on my back in my Claytor JH and have never experienced back pain or a sore neck. I should add that I have somewhat of a history of lower back issues. I find that hammock sleeping gives me my most restful and pain free sleep....period. I can't really explain why, as it seems to defy logic (to me anyway) but it's a fact. BTW...my wife is 5'2" and she exchanged the Expedition model for a Jungle model after trying out mine.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > it started with hennessey hammocks,i dont use them anymore,
    > i am a die hard claytor jungle hammock fan

Sure am glad you told me that there, Neo, as otherwise, how could I possibly have known, or lived without knowing!

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Like I said, Miguel, some folks disagree with my opinions. I don't mind. And by "a diagonal sleep position," it isn't meant that you sleep partially on your side or something, it had to do with the line of your body in the hammock being slightly off from parallel to the line of the hammock body (head to one side, feet to the other). Also known as "Brazillian style" hammock sleeping. So if you're getting flat on your back instead of bowing like a banana, you're probably lying diagonally across the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast