Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don’t know that they will take up that much more room, but yeah 2 quilts are gonna take up more space than one bag. I’ve used compression bags with my quilts (down and synthetic) with fine results; the loft comes back. You just don’t want to store them that way.

An underquilt is not a necessity, it’s a luxury. Plenty of folks use pads and go low into the temps, but still talking about some bulk. If I really compress my quilts (top & bottom) they take up about the same space as 2- 2 liter bottles of soda, but waaaaaay lighter.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    My DIY down underquilt lofts to 3.5 inches, weighs just over 1 pound, and I can compress it to volley ball size. As Cannibal says, don't want to do this long term, but it has survived multiple week long trips compressing and uncompressing. I have a down bag that I take for cold weather that also compresses about this small, but it only has about 2"+ of loft. For my most recent hike I used a felt blanket with a velcro foot box (summer time!). A shade lighter in weight, but, amazingly, it takes up just about the same amount of space!

I use a Bishop bag for the hammock, a snakeskin for the tarp, and a stuff sack for the quilts. Maybe I should make a BlackBishop Bag big enough for the hammock and quilt??? hmmm... Definitely would fit my style, but... is there an advantage for keeping them separate? more instances of fluffing? more opportunities for airing out?

Back to the original question... 1 quilt is no more or less than 1 sleeping bag. 1 underpad is no more or less than one ground pad. 1 hammock is definitely! less than one tent, and a world's difference in comfort!!!!

--

Well, the ground pad is easy to pack in a kayak because it doesn't need a waterproof bag, and, if you want to, you can sit on it. A lot of skinboat guys use the groundpad as a kayak seat/backrest by day and a sleeping pad by night. I doubt I could do that with an underquilt.

On our recent trip to the Apostle Islands, I rolled it up and stuck it all the way forward in the kayak, then my sleeping bag went in a waterproof bag inside a larger waterproof bag behind my seat.

I know I've asked about hanging regulations, but the regs for the Apostles didn't address hammocks, only tents, and tents had to be on the tentpads in the campsites. Anyone been hassled for that?
    Joel F.
    Marquette, Michigan

http://www.blackdogkayaks.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The GG Latitude Vapor is 3800 cu in and the Catalyst is 4600 total.
    My ULA Catalyst is my main pack these days. I expect it to hold all my bulk for deep winter Minnesota backpacking. Depends on the length of trip I suppose. Last year I bought a Kelty Coyote and it is a huge bag for winter! Very Nice!! Held everything ...... Hammock, Full DIY UQ, 0º Bag, Tarp with doors, down parka, light down vest, extra clothing, winter food load (more than the rest of the year, MSR whisperlite (only for winter) and extra fuel, candles etc....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBucks View Post
    --

Well, the ground pad is easy to pack in a kayak because it doesn't need a waterproof bag, and, if you want to, you can sit on it. A lot of skinboat guys use the groundpad as a kayak seat/backrest by day and a sleeping pad by night. I doubt I could do that with an underquilt.

On our recent trip to the Apostle Islands, I rolled it up and stuck it all the way forward in the kayak, then my sleeping bag went in a waterproof bag inside a larger waterproof bag behind my seat.

I know I've asked about hanging regulations, but the regs for the Apostles didn't address hammocks, only tents, and tents had to be on the tentpads in the campsites. Anyone been hassled for that?

The regs for the Apostles are the same as for the BWCA.

From the Apostle Island National Lakeshore website:

Camping is available outside of individual or group campsites on all islands except Devils, Eagle, Gull, North Twin, and York. Camping zones have been established on the rest of the islands for visitors seeking a remote backcountry experience. Camping zone maps are available at the headquarters visitor center. A fee of $10/party/night will be charged. Only one camping party will be allowed per zone per night. Parties camping in designated camping zones are limited to a maximum of five campers and two tents. They should use backpacking stoves for cooking and practice "Leave No Trace" camping techniques.
    The following areas are CLOSED to camping:

• Areas excluded from designated camping zones and closed to camping to protect sensitive natural and cultural resources.
    • Areas posted as closed to protect bird nesting areas and threatened or endangered species.
    • In view of any designated trail.
    • Within 1/4 mile of any building, historic structure, individual or group campsite.
    • Within 100 feet of a flowing stream.
    • Private land or leaseholdings.
    • All of Eagle, Gull and North Twin Islands.

As long as you meet these criteria, hammocks are allowed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    BTW, the campsites on York and Cat are awesome!!! My two favorite islands - a little quieter than most of the others. I also helped build the hiking trail on Oak, which has a nice site as well, but gets a little crowded.

Right, those are the regs for camping in Camping Zones, which amount to wilderness at-large camping. Unfortunately, we didn't get our requests in to the authorities in time to reserve any zone camping. Sometimes you have to take what you can get, and we ended up camping on Rocky, South Twin, and Stockton in the designated campsites. We had no choice.

Except for Stockton, we had nice, quiet camping, with no neighbors on Rocky or S. Twin. Plus, we didn't see any Park Rangers except for on Stockton, where we saw four. We almost ended up commando camping a couple of nights as we were hampered by health problems with one team member one day, and two thunderstorms the other. But, we pushed through and made it to our designated campsites every night.

We stopped for a rest stop on Ironwood and on Stockton on the NW side at Campsite 21. I'm figuring that next trip there we'll camp at one or the other. Stockton 21 is a nice, remote site with easy access to the sea caves and sea stacks on Stockton Is., and Ironwood had a nice beach.

We did meet one party that was camping on Oak the day we parted company. It sounded like it also would be a cool place to camp.

You can check out our pics from that trip here:
    http://blackdogkayaks.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1218307482

So, basically, my question would be, suppose that you're limited to the designated campsites, tent pads and all?
    Joel F.
    Marquette, Michigan

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    BTW, the campsites on York and Cat are awesome!!! My two favorite islands - a little quieter....
    Remember the "good old days". I remember back in the '80s when the season number of backcountry permits would total less than a July. Southern tip of Ironwood Is with nice exposure to breezes from all points but N. to keep the bugs away and the south either E or W side (onshore breeze side preferred) of Outer Is were my favorite.

Regarding quilts and packing. The two I own (JRB Mt Wash. & Nest) can together be stuffed into a ~7' diameter silnylon stuff sack that sits at the bottom of ~50L pack. So not much more space than a sleeping bag.
    Noel V.

Yup, the sand spit on Ironwood would have been a great place to camp. That's where we weathered the first t-storm on day 3. I wouldn't have minded if we'd been stuck there.
    Joel F.
    Marquette, Michigan

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    JMO! I'ld rather cary a huge 18 lb pillow on my pack than a 50 lb lump of lead! As mentioned You buy the pack to fit your gear not the gear to fit your pack. Light is good even if it is bulky. It's all a give and take situation that each of us must make our own decisions on! You may all think I'm nuts but I use a 5400 cui pack or a 75 litre pack It lets my quilts loft more in my pack so I don't compress them into little tiny bags. I'm also a really big guy so even the big pack looks little on me, LOL!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast