Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    Nice gear cost Money.....

Cuben Fiber is not cheap ... thats why it cost so much if paying $300+ for a tarp is not for you... don't ..get a Silnylon tarp there are many nice ones out there and are around $100 that will work just fine

Cuben Fiber is around $25-30 a yard keep that in mind when asking why they cost so much(11x10 tarp would require 8-9 yards or fabric thats $200-280 depending on how much is needed and cost of fabric itself)
    Tarps like HG's are glued as well.. so think of the cost of the other material involved in making one and time
    also as said it weighs a lot less than Silnylon and packs down smaller
    like anything new it will cost more untill the price of the Fabric itself goes down

Zpack makes a Hammock Cuben fiber tarp for $235 thats the cheapest one out there and is really nice (i have one) well worth the money IF you backpack .
    if you car camp more i would say get a Silnylon tarp unless you have the extra money for the Cuben tarp and must have one
    +1

Many forget that the most cost comes from the materials itself, and then throw in labor and wallah you have your final price!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Say what? Man, I've been wearing this silly CF hat for nothing then.
    You mean you haven't been getting all the girls?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I use cuben because it cut 13 ounces out of my pack. Yes it was a hefty price to pay but my knees and back thank me.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I am a little concerned about CF being translucent

I think of a tarp as a means for some sort of privacy and a light diffuser if I can ever stay in bed past sunrise ( I usually wake up the roosters)

I recently stayed at a state park and the tarp closed at one end kept the headlights from the peoples cars who decided to leave after the rain started out of my eyes

CF owners how do you combat light issues and privacy issues
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpash View Post
    I am a little concerned about CF being translucent

I think of a tarp as a means for some sort of privacy and a light diffuser if I can ever stay in bed past sunrise ( I usually wake up the roosters)

I recently stayed at a state park and the tarp closed at one end kept the headlights from the peoples cars who decided to leave after the rain started out of my eyes

CF owners how do you combat light issues and privacy issues
    I am usually backpacking and not around folks on the trail so privacy is not too much of an issue for me.
    Light?...... I pull my beanie over my eyes to sleep and normally don't pitch camp until later in the day. Reckon the sun shines through at times....I will have too see how to deal with that as time goes by. I do love gazing up through it though!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I use cuben because it cut 13 ounces out of my pack. Yes it was a hefty price to pay but my knees and back thank me.
    +1 on that!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Shug, once again, loved your vids. My 8-year-old son and I were watching and laughing together. So awesome.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    I've seen CF mitts, CF added to UQ's, etc.
    Scrap pieces need a home too.

For the gram counter, cuben really is some amazing stuff. I'm more of an ounce counter, but I am a fan of 'better' gear. Cuben, in my mind, is 'better' than sil simply because of its waterproofness. I very much dislike getting wetted by my sil tarps when I brush against them on the inside. When Spinn hit the market, I was an instant fan because of its properties, like waterproofness; its lightweight certainly didn't hurt. Spinn quality went away and hasn't shown any signs of rebirth. That left the very pricey cuben with similar properties.

I didn't want to, I really didn't, but Brian at OES convinced me that I needed to give cuben a try. I bought a MacCat Deluxe in cuben. I no longer care if I ever own another sil tarp. They work fine and are certainly priced to move compared with cuben (funny, I used to think sil tarps were expensive), but cuben made me a tarp-snob. The stuff is just ridiculously light and meets all my other requirements for shelter material. I don't like the price either, but in this case, I believe you are getting what you pay for with cuben.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    "What's the point of CF?"- Gear heads love gear. High tech, light, and sometimes expensive gear. A person who loves food can get by on a .99 cents a package, hot dogs. But lobster is tasty and considerably more expensive. The food lover spends a lot of money and enjoys the lobster because he just likes it. The gear head can stay dry with a painters drop cloth but he buys cuben because that's what he wants. I'm glad everyone doesn't like what I like or a tarp cuben would cost $500 and lobsters would be $100 each. Some fake butters are only a molecule away from being plastic and cheap for a whole tub of it. I spring for pure, expensive, bad for ya butter cause I like it and don't care about the cost. Point being, I like what I like and you can do the same. No biggie.
    Last edited by Two Tents; 10-31-2011 at 09:36.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    But dont anyone get discouraged from all this "Rolex" talk.There is nothing wrong at all from using our POUND HAWG gear.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast