hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner

deep jungle help

as most of you know, im an expedition leader and tend to work in the jungle for between 6-10 months of the year.

i might have been given the opportunity to test out the deep jungle next year and wondered what people think of it?

i love the double bottomed idea but am extremely sceptical of anything with zips as things like that break very easily in the jungle and then i wont be able to close my hammock....

has everyone else found them to be just as good as the rest of the hennessy range?

J

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    first of all good to see you posting again, you got most of us going with the garda hitch method, but anyway from all I read the deep jungle is one of the favourites to choose from and the double bottom is great for bugs and I feel the same way about zippers so I got a bottom entry hennessy but people say that tom hennessy uses some heavy duty zippers so they work great.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Well, the DJ is my 2nd fav HH (Safari is the 1st ), I liked it a little better than my UL Explorer, but the zipper is the big question in this thread, isn't it? Personally, I would prefer a 2q mod on a bottom entry hammock, but that would be more expensive AND only the DJ has the dbl layer pad pocket, if you want that.

I don't think I have heard of any one's hammock zipper yet failing on them, and there are a bunch of them in use, but it may well have been reported and I just can't remember But, Ed Speer famously used Velcro on his PeaPod because in his opinion sooner or later a zip was going to cause problems, a true bummer inside a hammock. And you apparently are know of peoples zippers failing. At least if you also had a bottom entry along with a zip mod, you could sew a failed zipper closed and keep on hanging.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I really like the Deep Jungle. Of all the HH line, it is probably my favorite.

Nothing really to add about the zipper discussion; it is a risk. Although in my opinion, a very small risk. HH doesn't use really cheap zippers and I have yet to see a failure in my time as a hanger. Carry a headnet for a worst case scenario. If the zipper breaks, you'll just need to wear clothes to bed and the headnet.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    The Deep Jugle is a sweet ride. I believe the zippers are on the big side, but they are solid. I've added reflective pull tabs to make it easier - especially on the inside of the hammock.

But the real tip on any zippered product is to open and close the zipper slowly to avoid fabric catch.

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Deep Jungle is my first and only hammock so far, so I can't compare it to anything else, but it is put together well and the zipper is solid.

I have only used it about a dozen nights now, but it did survive my 4 and 7 year old nephew and niece unsupervised for 20 minutes while my sister napped. They have been infatuated with it ever since they saw it and they were having a little rumble inside it when I came back to the site.

I just wish my e-reader had also survived.
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    OES MacCat'D Cuben
    Insulation
    Usually nothing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The zipper is certainly not as fool-proof as the bottom entry but is solid as far as zippers go. If you sweat a bit in the hammock maybe give it a regular wash as a precaution (salt from sweat + humidity, soon = corroded metal). That has not been a problem for me.

Double bottom is particularly useful - i can get quite cold at warm temps in the early hours of the morning (at about 20 celcius or less) when it is misty/humid and there is a little breeze. Very thin foam (e.g 3-6mm) in the double layer stops that - a little bulky to carry and a little hotter than ideal at first in the night - but very light (e.g. 100-200 grams). Particularly useful if you are going from lowlands up to highlands/montane areas on the one hike. It seems to be the humidity that magnifies both the hot and the cold - cold, dry and still and I can get down to near freezing with the same 6mm foam (but a much warmer bag).

The no-see-um mess holds a surprising amount of heat when conditions are still. It doesn't occur often but if it is hot, still and no mosquito's about (yeah ok!) leaving the mesh unzipped is significantly cooler for the first half hour or so until your metabolism slows down and the excess heat escapes.

I think the decider for me is the flexibility to use light insulation pads easily - if it weren't for that I may well prefer the bottom entry.

Very nice hammock otherwise BTW

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Love my DJ! The zipper is extremely solid, just make sure to lubricate it once a season and all will be well. If you're that concerned maybe you should bring a zipper repair kit with you. They are small and light.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Love my DJ! The zipper is extremely solid, just make sure to lubricate it once a season and all will be well. If you're that concerned maybe you should bring a zipper repair kit with you. They are small and light.
    Hey Chris, What do you think your DJ would take you down to with the bubble pad and the 3S UQ?

Hammock
    HH DJ XL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a DJ XL and used it in Borneo this year in jungle and by the beaches. Coped well with both.
    Not sure if the Garda Hitch will work with the cord though - I tried it and it didn't seem that secure. As it happens there's a lot of sticks for a quick marlin spike in the jungle so all was well... though you already know that.
    Where you off to?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast