Thread: 2mil tarp

2mil tarp

My sewing skills are crap. First, I don't really have a machine. I have this machine that is odd and runs on 4 AAs. It is not good for what we do here, but all I got for now.

I've been doing some things to practice. I'm going to make a square tarp (diamond config) out of some 2mil drop cloth I had left over from painting a bedroom. 2mil is the thickest you can buy at Home Depot not in a roll. Everything else comes in rolls and about $20. I never used this material when painting.

My idea is to use this to mockup a 7.5'x7.5' tarp. I'm thinking of using flagging tape as the edging. I can get fluorescent colors at HD. I found black at http://www.tapebrothers.com

I'm not expecting to use this tarp that often. I want to do this so I can get the feel and practice. It may even be somewhat a usable tarp.

comments or ideas?

If you are in Buford, GA and want to bring me a machine I would be much obliged.

Chris

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Check out WV's thread about using 6mil plastic. Lots of great info there.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You might try strapping tape for edge reinforcement - it's very strong, but I don't think the adhesive is very waterproof, so put it on the under side. Using 2 mil will work, but treat it gently. It's a good choice for a prototype. You could also not use any tape; just tie a piece of string around a smooth pebble wrapped in the tarp material for each tie-out. I don't understand how you would use flagging tape - it doesn't have any adhesive, and it's not strong. You're thinking along the right lines for a prototype. Try it, and let us know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by linxdev View Post
    My sewing skills are crap. First, I don't really have a machine. I have this machine that is odd and runs on 4 AAs. It is not good for what we do here, but all I got for now.

I've been doing some things to practice. I'm going to make a square tarp (diamond config) out of some 2mil drop cloth I had left over from painting a bedroom. 2mil is the thickest you can buy at Home Depot not in a roll. Everything else comes in rolls and about $20. I never used this material when painting.

My idea is to use this to mockup a 7.5'x7.5' tarp. I'm thinking of using flagging tape as the edging. I can get fluorescent colors at HD. I found black at http://www.tapebrothers.com

I'm not expecting to use this tarp that often. I want to do this so I can get the feel and practice. It may even be somewhat a usable tarp.

comments or ideas?

If you are in Buford, GA and want to bring me a machine I would be much obliged.

Chris

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Hey Linxdev I have some 6mil that I could send you

The roll is 10ft x 100ft I have probably a 10ft by 12ft piece I can send you

just PM ME if interested
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Is 7.5 x 7.5 big enough for your needs?
    Even on the diagonal, that's gonna be short for a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Karo Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    **** and i thought i was going to be the first one to try this out here. Well maybe post something about it. Here is the link to backpacking light that has an article and discussion about it. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...tic_tarps.html

• + New Posts