DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Ouch - heres wishing you a quick recovery!

Attaching the doors to the tarp would be an easy task. A few weeks ago I hadn't ever touched a sewing machine in my life. My 1st project was a down UQ, followed by a hammock, stuffsack, ridgeline organizer and bugnet. Ramblinrev's videos are great for beginners if you haven't seen them yet. Gives great instructions on different types of hems and use of grosgrain. sclittlefields DIY guides are also helpful. Love to see pics when you're done.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I was going to have 2QZQ add the doors for me for a long distant hike I was going to do in 2012. However, I had surgery two weeks ago, and have several more so it killed me doing much of anything. So, I just learned how to thread a needle on a sewing machine which belonged to my mother. I think the sewed on doors will be lighter and easier to deploy in the long run.
    ...just wanted to say that I hope you get to feeling better sooon

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    If I'm reading this right you are talking about sewing the door straight to the tarp? If you make your door/doors removable you can choose were to put them or not to use them at all. I always carry my one door in my tarp bag and if the wind is blowing I clip it on the corner that faces the wind. I use #0 S beeners on the upper and lower D rings and a length of shock cord going to the opposite end to close the gap and the stake out corner has a length of shock cord attached. This gets used as my 3 season tarp and when more protection is needed I will need to buy a tarp with doors attached. The removable door is only 3oz but if I made 3 more It wouldn't be worth it.
    I love this!! I definitely do not want it sewed on, because I love seeing the views with the way my tarp is made. So having it removable is a must. I do not hang my hammock up so close to my tarp line (I'm very tall and want the head room from my tarp), I'm trying to figure out how my hammock suspension would work coming through this....or how I would change it so that the hammock suspension doesn't ruin the design of this?

Do you think doing a cut (then rolled seam the two side of the cut) down the upper center, down to about 2 feet, and adding ties would work? Again, it's just to "help" with wind, and wind blown snow or rain.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Also, my tarp may have a sharp angle, but it's also very bit (I actually love it and have two...would love a third, but can't find at the steal I got them for) Anyway, here is another picture of the tarp, with my hammock under it (hammock is hiding in sock ).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how my hammock suspension would work coming through this....or how I would change it so that the hammock suspension doesn't ruin the design of this?

Do you think doing a cut (then rolled seam the two side of the cut) down the upper center, down to about 2 feet, and adding ties would work? Again, it's just to "help" with wind, and wind blown snow or rain.
    Sounds similar to how Hennesy Hammock does it. Take a look at the Monsoon/Typhoon tarp doors. I think it would work just fine for what you are looking to achieve.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=40184
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Sounds similar to how Hennesy Hammock does it. Take a look at the Monsoon/Typhoon tarp doors. I think it would work just fine for what you are looking to achieve.

Thank you Happy Hiker for that link!! I think that is what I am going to do; about 97% sure. I just need to find the right material now and at the right price to boot. Just maybe I can jack up the temperature inside a bit too, every little bit will help...until I can win me some of those pillows to convert

So many projects and then many more. Will I ever really be done and my dinning room table and house back to what it used to be?

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I made doors from 0.9 untreated parachute ripstop and soaked them in Nikwax to make them water repellent. They do wet out but dry very quickly and have held up against 70mph winds more than once(on the ground on poles-no trees). They are over a year old now and still good with many hangs under the belt.
    No need for waterproof IMO, they are only there to stop windblown rain, snow and wind.

I used 3 yds of fabric, costing around $4 USD.

[IMG][/IMG]

I made a tarp with waterproof doors, I haven't noticed any benefit to them over the water resistant ones.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    I made doors from 0.9 untreated parachute ripstop and soaked them in Nikwax to make them water repellent. They do wet out but dry very quickly and have held up against 70mph winds more than once(on the ground on poles-no trees). They are over a year old now and still good with many hangs under the belt.
    No need for waterproof IMO, they are only there to stop windblown rain, snow and wind.

I used 3 yds of fabric, costing around $4 USD.

[IMG][/IMG]

I made a tarp with waterproof doors, I haven't noticed any benefit to them over the water resistant ones.
    Nikwax?? I'm going to have to look that up. Like what you use on boots?

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Ouch - heres wishing you a quick recovery!

Attaching the doors to the tarp would be an easy task. A few weeks ago I hadn't ever touched a sewing machine in my life. My 1st project was a down UQ, followed by a hammock, stuffsack, ridgeline organizer and bugnet. Ramblinrev's videos are great for beginners if you haven't seen them yet. Gives great instructions on different types of hems and use of grosgrain. sclittlefields DIY guides are also helpful. Love to see pics when you're done.
    Hey thanks. It gives me hope that I can turn out some great gear for myself as well. I was thinking doors, UQ, hammock, bugnet. If all goes well, then might thing about a TQ as well. I'll be sure to post pics, and I'm sure you'll see me here posting questions as well.

I came back from the hospital today and went over to JoAnns Fabric in Santa Rosa. I got a few things but they didn't have any ripstop at all.

I was in a wheelchair and the line was 1/2 way up the middle of the store. As I got to the middle of the line, I looked behind me. Out of about 50 people in line, I was the only guy. I'm thinking I'm going to like this sewing gear thing.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Wow that's a great door. I think that would work great with the small tarp which came with the Hennesy. So many great ideas and trying to decide which one will work best.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast