hammock weights and uses?

I'm just getting started in this and know very little. You guys keep talking about all these upgrades, add ons, and other accessories. Just wondering what your whole set-up weighs after all is said and done? I personally like to keep it lite and simple. Also would like to know how far and long you guys are takeing hammocks?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Many of the modifications and accessories that are discussed on the forum are either functional replacements for standard hammock equipment, or are added for dealing with specific environments (cold, heat, etc). Also, a lot of the materials used for the mods are lightweight in nature (nylon, silnylon, dyneema/spectra cording, etc).

The final weights of various setups varies wildly, depending on the hammock type and where it is being used. That being said, my typical summer-use setup ranges in the 3-3.5 lb range and includes hammock, pad, tarp, top quilt.

Members here have taken hammocks from jungle excursions through the rainforests of S. America to Snowshoe treks through northern Ontario, the outback of Austrailia, the forests of Japan and Hong Kong, even juggling festivals in the UK, and all points in between. The distances include simple backyard nap excursions to multi-month thru-hikes.

Stick around and read. You'll be amazed.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-02-2008 at 14:31.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    I wouldn't get too frustrated by all the terms accessories, add ons, etc. It will clear up quickly the more you read here. Many topics have been covered well on this forum, so anything you have a question about is likely to be answered in a search, or feel free to ask, everyone is very welcoming to new folks here!

Glad you asked about weight! I just weighed my hammock the other day at about 1 pound. My smaller, lighter tarp is about 7 oz., so about 1.5 pounds to start out, then add on different things to accomidate different situations.

One main difference between hammock camping and camping with a tarp is the use of "underquilts." This is a replacement for the sleeping pad that ground dwellers use, and is much like an overquilt that you may be familiar with. These items range from ~8 oz. for half underquilts to upwards of 32 oz. for a full underquilt.

The total weight would be the 1.5 pounds plus whatever I decide I need to take to be comfortable. I hope this helps you determine what your weight would be...

Added: Jeff does a study of this question on his website here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html You may just want to read through his analysis of hammock cammping here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

Images
    I can see where you think this. A lot of the talk here is about little stuff. I am trying to simplify everything in my kit including my hammock.

Really all you need is a pad/under quilt, top quilt/sleeping bag, hammock, bug netting, and tarp. All the other things can make it easier, or just more.

Keep in mind there are a lot of gear heads here, a lot of time myself included, who like to talk and try things just for the fun of it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    ditto hammock engineer's comments..."Really all you need is a pad/under quilt, top quilt/sleeping bag, hammock, bug netting, and tarp"

There is no one system that works for all...that's what makes it so much FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    I'm just getting started in this and know very little. You guys keep talking about all these upgrades, add ons, and other accessories. Just wondering what your whole set-up weighs after all is said and done? I personally like to keep it lite and simple. Also would like to know how far and long you guys are takeing hammocks?
    Buy a Hennessy Backpacker UL (unless you are over 6', then get the longer version) and a JRB three-season quilt set and you can't go wrong. Order the hammock directly from Hennesy without a tarp and order a MaCat Tarp from Brian at OES (Outdoor Equipment Supply), I reccomend the large (Deluxe).

If your tastes in hammock gear change down the road, everything in the above paragraph will sell pretty quickly on this forum. Many have done so and the stuff doesn't last long once it is posted. You can occasionally find Hennesy hammocks on ebay.

• + New Posts