Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    toward the bottom of the forum page is a list of planned hangs. or watch for threads that seem to be close to you. i would say, as far as your rig goes, you should do a diy hammock just because of your extreme height. your weight (as well as my 230) is an issue in some. i think the diy bugnets on here are better than my store bought eno. get a decent nylon tarp, save the money and don't go cuben. spend all the money on your down tq and uq. should all pack down very nice for ya.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    +1 on the DIY hammock, couldn't be happier with my setup and I didn't pay $200 for the hammock. As for uq and tq, hang10 gives good advice. Definitely down top and bottom insul. It packs down much smaller and is lighter than any other insulation hands down.

I am surprised no one suggested this, another hammock option is a bridge hammock. They are supposed to lie really flat. That will be my second hammock. I too have slight knee issues so I understand your concern for that. Good luck and happy hangin'!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    First, listen to Dehoja.

What's your budget? You can get into hammocking for $40 or $400
    Well, I'm considering the Clarke Jungle NX-250, so I'd say my budget is pretty high. I think I'll hold off on the top and bottom quilts until later(if at all). For the tarp and hammock and all required accessories, I would be willing to spend up to $1g if I knew I was getting something of quality and suited to my needs (big guy yet pack small).
    I'm pretty sure I'm sold on the BA Zirkel for sleeping bag if that makes a difference.
    I keep/use my stuff for a long time typically, so I'm really hoping to make a good decision right out of the gate.

On the topic of DIY stuff, I figured it was just a budget way to go and sacrificed quality and pack size for cost savings... I guess I was wrong.
    I'm pretty overwealmed/intimidated already, but I guess I could try to figure it out...
    Buying just seems so much easier! hahaha

I really have my reading set ahead of me don't I?

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Your problem is not finding the right answer. Your problem is picking one of the right answers.

Your only limitations are that 6'5" that fall below your hat brim and the 265+ pounds that it consists of. But, you've picked a larger, taller model so far from a good dealer. Now would just be comparing similar offerings from the other manufacturers and deciding whether to get the all in one package of Clark or the mix n match of the others.

Mostly, you just need to read and shop. Give Shugs Youtube videos a look, Watermonkey's as well. They'll give you a good bit of background info as well.

And finally, welcome aboard.

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1&quot; foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2&quot; diy straps
    ya, you do have a lot of reading and video watching ahead of you. as i said, don't think diy is a cheap way out or that it is shoddy gear. a lot of these guys are making better gear than can be bought. and they give precise easy direction and video. kudos to all of them! i liked that clark too but now seeing, with the info from these guys, its prob not for me. if you're over 6', you have an issue in several hammocks. i've seen store bought hammocks with weight ratings of 250, 350 and 450. your quilts will probably be full length, which for you will be more like 3/4. maybe all custom. save the money for those.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Well, I'm not the most experienced hanger, but I will give it a shot. There are a bunch of variables, including cost and how warm you want to use it. I have read this forum until I am nearly blind, and would guess you would get a lot of positive reactions to the following setup.

Hammock - Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double
    Underquilt- Incubator from Hammockgear.com
    topquilt - Burrow from Hammockgear.com
    Tarp - If money is no object, get a 4 season cuben fiber tarp from zpacks.com
    Pad - not needed
    Suspension - stick with the stock WBBB suspension, straps and buckles
    Carabiners - get two Camp Nano 23 climbing biners, or a couple of Dutch Clips from Jacksrbetter.

For the quillts, you need to decide about the 20 degree or the 40 degree, based on your expected temps.

I realize attempting to give one blanket answer may stir something up, since so much of this is personal preference. All of the cottage industry stuff here is pretty highly thought of. (Jacks r Better, Hammockgear, wilderness logics, tewa quilts, etc) But if you really want a one-stop shop of a high end setup, without doing a bunch of testing and reading, you could do worse. Just my 2 cents. (I can't actually afford most of that list, by the way)
    Welcome from GA! I agree w/ this reply...but, there is a bunch of info here about every product you could imagine...part of the fun is to get something and enjoy the field testing!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

good luck in your search

There is no one prefect hammock , tarp ect for everyone. I have several different hammock and tarps ect that I use depending on where I am hanging at, expected weather conditions and if I car camping or backpacking.

I will point out that if you do get a Blackbird and do not like it (rare but it does happen) you can turn around and sell it here on the forum for almost full price and usually in under a day. No other hammock can make that claim right now.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Finally joined the club. Bought a used Clark Jungle NX-250 with Z-Liner, tarp, and whoopies off Bajahanger on this forum. Also bought myself a Big Agnes Zirkel-SL (800 fill 20 degree mummy).
    It'll be a few weeks before I get a chance to try everything out. Likely I'll toss it all on my dualsport and go for a bit of a roadtrip. It'll be my first dangle!
    Might have to give the DIY angle a try too. We'll see.
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    Extra huge thanks to "bigbamaguy" for offerring his equipment up for test use! Might generous guy!

Well, I think I'm sold/hooked!
    First time in my hammock this weekend, and wow!

Was worried my knees would give me grief, but was soooo comfy!
    Maybe I'm nieve at this point, but I can't imagine why I would need or want anything other than the package I now have.

One Question:
    I actually used the sleeping pad inside the hammock, but I'm not sure I will next time.
    My sleeping bag has no insulation on the back torso(Big Agnes system), so I figured I might get cold. I might try without next time.
    Is using a sleeping pad inside the hammock common practice at all or do most people leave them at home?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast