Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Warm

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I can't see how burning basically natural items can be considered any worse than taking them home and throwing them in a landfill. Burning trash paper for example can't be any worse than burning wood. (I am not saying hand warmers fall into the "natural items" category as I really have no idea.) I am assuming of course that no one was talking about burning the plastic wrappers.

Often it seems that the LNT mantra gets applied to the impact on the wilderness without much concern for the total impact on the environment.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I can't see how burning basically natural items can be considered any worse than taking them home and throwing them in a landfill. Burning trash paper for example can't be any worse than burning wood. (I am not saying hand warmers fall into the "natural items" category as I really have no idea.) I am assuming of course that no one was talking about burning the plastic wrappers.

Often it seems that the LNT mantra gets applied to the impact on the wilderness without much concern for the total impact on the environment.
    Then take the warmers home and burn them in your fireplace.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Then take the warmers home and burn them in your fireplace.
    And how does this suggestion impact LNT in anyway?
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Personally I don't plan on leaving my good chemical hand warmers behind anywhere, and I would either burn or carry out the other kind so that I can add to a landfill....but that all aside. I was wondering if I sewed up a double layer hammock, how many of those reusable chemical hand warmers it would take to fill it? Talk about being warm and toasty! Sure would be for car camping only!
    Last edited by DivaB; 11-02-2011 at 20:12.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung View Post
    While I understand the "pack it in pack it out" mentality and follow it to a certain extent. Why couldnt they be burned? The ingredients are benign(carbon,cellulose,vermiculite,water and salt) and I dont see them harming the environment. In fact every time you build a fire you leave some of the same chemicals.Unless I'm missing something.
    That might be possible. I currently live in a part of the country which always seems to be under heavy fire restrictions. I almost never have a fire when backpacking so burning them wasn't something I've considered.

Otherwise I do like to toss a few of them into my sleeping bag prior to me climbing in. If they are still warm at the end of the night I toss them into my boots prior to putting them on.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post

Thats kinda what I was getting at. Nothing in those things are harmful to the enviroNment. And no I wouldnt burn the plastic wrappers. For that matter you could dump the contents on the ground and it wouldnt hurt a thing.
    Salt:animals seek it out and it's pretty much everywhere. Carbon:again it's pretty much everywhere. Cellulose:Nothing but wood refined into paper. Vermiculite: Used in potting soil and helps retain moisture in soil and encourages root growth by keeping soil loose. And of course water.

Like I said...I never leave anything behind that would be harmful to the environment. But these things wouldnt be any worse than throwing an apple core on the ground.
    Not trying to start an argument or anything.It's just that sometimes things can be carried to an extreme.
    Now if your talking about dumping hundreds of these things in one place...yeah I could see where it might be detrimental.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Have only done five overnight winter hikes (tent not hammock) and have never used any chemicals except to cook with. This will be my first year trying to hang in the cold. We are going Saturday and temps are supposed to drop into the low 20's so I'll see how well my 20 degree UQ actually works. Got a couple of the hand warmer things in my closet but don't plan on using them. I hope it's not a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    Have you Hung yet, Hung? When most of us are talking about staying warm in a hammock, we're talking about keeping our underside warm. Laying against the hammock body - you're essentially laying against the outside air, which is normally below body temperature, and the body chills. (Most people find that below 65*-70*F is their lower comfort limit without lower insulation.)

It would be difficult to use chemical handwarmers to address the full surface area that's laying on the bottom of the hammock. But, as we always say here: HYOH (Hang Your Own Hammock / Hike Your Own Hike). Try the handwarmers out and let us know what you find!
    Hey Root
    Not in a looong time. I understand about the air movement under you cooling things down. You get the same effect when you sleep on a cot.
    I used them up near Dallas in 21 degree weather with no tent and in a cot(my dum A@# forgot the tent poles)and woke up with ice and snow all over me....still warm as toast. I did have a self inflating mattress as insulation though.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    hot packs are not a good long term answer for camping with a Hammock ...
    yes they are cheap but add up the cost over a long period of time and you have a UQ (Underquilt) have you tried your Infl. pad in the hammock just inflate it part way it will work just fine
    the 2 best ways to stay warm is a Underquilt or a pad ....
    if your a DIY guy you can make a IX UQ for around $50 ... and should be good down to 30F for most users ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Personally I don't plan on leaving my good chemical hand warmers behind anywhere, and I would carry out the other kind....but that all aside. I was wondering if I sewed up a double layer hammock, how many of those reusable chemical hand warmers it would take to fill it? Talk about being warm and toasty! Sure would be for car camping only!
    that is a great idea.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast