DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    And he said he had some broken bones. I agree with Ikemouser about killing animals though. That's not cool.
    Animals are delicious, unless your a vegetarian in which case, nobody ever asks the lettuce how it feels about the situation!

My folks, my wife's folks and a whole bunch of other folks I know of survived the depression by killing, and eating critters that were available. You just haven't found or been forced into a reason to be hungry enough for that to be an option. Better hope you're a fast learner if you do get in one though. It ain't as easy as it looks if thats the only food you can get. Personally, I prefer corn fed beef, pigs, chickens to wild and gamey deer, squirrel, rabbit, possum, quail, pheasant, duck, prairie hen, etc. My brother on the other hand LOVES em and is hunting and fishing constantly (I don't like fresh water fish either).

But that someone would find a person feeding themselves off of legal game upsetting is upsetting to me. What kind of a nation did our rugged individualist forefathers entrust us too that such an idea would be considered Not Cool? Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I take that back. Every once in a while I just got to have me some Fried Catfish. Otherwise freshwater fish is OUT.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    N hushpuppies. gotta have the puppies to go with the cats.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Animals are delicious, unless your a vegetarian in which case, nobody ever asks the lettuce how it feels about the situation!

My folks, my wife's folks and a whole bunch of other folks I know of survived the depression by killing, and eating critters that were available. You just haven't found or been forced into a reason to be hungry enough for that to be an option. Better hope you're a fast learner if you do get in one though. It ain't as easy as it looks if thats the only food you can get. Personally, I prefer corn fed beef, pigs, chickens to wild and gamey deer, squirrel, rabbit, possum, quail, pheasant, duck, prairie hen, etc. My brother on the other hand LOVES em and is hunting and fishing constantly (I don't like fresh water fish either).

But that someone would find a person feeding themselves off of legal game upsetting is upsetting to me. What kind of a nation did our rugged individualist forefathers entrust us too that such an idea would be considered Not Cool? Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.
    I dont eat meat unless i have no choice, which is never. I don't find it upsetting, i just dont see how killing things could be enjoyable everything has a right to exist, you didn't chose to be born a human.

anyway, back on topic.
    Last edited by ikemouser; 11-04-2011 at 15:55.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    HYOH, YMMV, to each his own viewpoint. let's play nice now, boys..

Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    "I like to backpack through some wooded areas just outside the city which has been known to harbor criminals and delinquents. "

Why would you do that? Are you looking for trouble?

I happen to like the area. I grew up fairly close to it so that spot has always been a favourite. People like it because you can do illegal activities relating to illegal substances without getting caught easily.

"I planned on staying there for 6 months as there are deer and small mammals to roast over an open fire."

WTF, why would you want to kill, skin and eat animals for six months? Are you ok, mentally?
    I could see if you had no choice, but for the sheer enjoyment?

I enjoy living simply sometimes. As mentioned already, I had a friend come by once in a while and he would sometimes bring me food. It was too ambitious to think I could live off of animals I killed only.

If you had fallen from a tree 80ft high and been in a coma in a park that people frequent, you would have been found before two months.

I don't know if I said park. It was a wooded area outside the city. I also was found by my friend the next day.

"...surrounding tree cover provided protection from the elements." Trees dont protect you from freezing rain and precip, it gets through the gaps.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough. When you set up at ground level, the trees do a pretty good job of covering you for the most part. As you climb up, it gets more and more sparse. This particular spot I found was better than the majority of places I found. That's sort of the point I was trying (poorly it looks like) to make.

Your story doesn't add up at all, are the rest of you this gullible?
    My replies in red.

To address some of the other comments:

The height is a ballpark. I did mean metres. I'm about 6 feet tall (which is 1.8 metres) so as I climbed to check the spot before setting up, I'd use my body to "measure" the height. If I did make an error though, I don't think it's too large.

The weirdest part was that I didn't wake up (or just don't remember?) the actual fall. My best guess is something that was already mentioned, namely the plinko scenario. When I go back there, I may be able to piece it together better.
    I was not properly relaxing until I found hammocks.

Hammock
    OBX
    Tarp
    Rain proof
    Insulation
    Lipids
    Suspension
    Roman Arc
    How did your friend get you to the hospital?
    They see me swingin', they hatin'...

Hammock
    OBX
    Tarp
    Rain proof
    Insulation
    Lipids
    Suspension
    Roman Arc
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingus_Maximus View Post
    How did your friend get you to the hospital?
    Sorry, that sounded a little harsh. i didn't mean to sound all interrogational and stuff. i hope you do ok now.

Confucious say: Man who sleep in trees wakes up in dirt.
    They see me swingin', they hatin'...

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    To the OP I have to say that I'm glad to hear you not only survived but are recovering from this horrific incident.

As for killing animals to eat...when I was growing up (not so long ago) dinner was what ever my father shot in the back yard. We didn't have much in the way of money, but we made do. And 1 bullet can get you a whole lot of meat much cheaper than a butcher would sell it to you.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Swingus_Maximus View Post
    Sorry, that sounded a little harsh. i didn't mean to sound all interrogational and stuff. i hope you do ok now.

Confucious say: Man who sleep in trees wakes up in dirt.
    No problem, Swingus. Actually my friend called the paramedics who were able to carry me out to where the ambulance was. I think that was really the only way to do it, and it wasn't too far from a trail leading out.
    I was not properly relaxing until I found hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast