Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

WB Traveler VS WBBB 1.0 for winter

Or in general

OK Folks I have been doing some serious R & D here lately and I feel as if I need to share my thought process with you all to gain a better insight of where I may end up as a result.

First I will give my current winter set up and then digress from there

WBBB 1.0 DL
    HMG FL 20F Incubator UQ
    JRB 0F Old Rag Mountain TQ
    OES MacCat Standard Tarp
    Custom Momentum 90 Winter Sock

OK So here is my thinking...I originally bought the DL because I can put a pad in it which will keep my pack weight down...we all know how I am about that

But Since my discover of down UQ's I seriously don't think I am going to go back to pads. So I no longer need a DL hammock and since its winter time I don't use the mosquito net on my WBBB I just leave it open any way...so I don't have to zip and unzip every time I want to get in and out. Hence where the Traveler comes into play (I have done my research there as well and have decided on that hammock....I am a long fellow and the other hammocks are just to short and narrow.) I basically only need "something" to sleep in, and not the other items that come with the Black Bird. Plus I will be dropping hammock weight which will be augmented by the gain in weight for winter downy goodness

So then my brain says...well hey since you already take an insulative layer (Patagonia Capiline 1 top and bottom) and a down jacket (Montbell UL Down Inner) as part of your clothing in the summer, you could probably get away with a 1/2 40F UQ and a 1/2 pad from my knees to my feet (and attach it like WL does in his demo video.) And then a 50F TQ since I wear the other clothing any way...It gets down to about 35F-40F in most places I sleep in the 3 season. So with that combo I still don't need a DL hammock either...and then I just could use a bug sock for the skeeter season. And in reality with that summer set up I think I will be lighter then I am now with my current 3 season set up....so I may not need the WBBB at all. Like I said, I digress.

So what do you guys think...am I thinking clearly here or has the fumes form my shop gotten to me. Problem is...I love my WBBB and it would be hard to give up.

Thanks for the input in advance.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    I have just started winter hanging so I don't have a lot of experience, but I agree with you. If you don't need the bug net it's better not to have it. I do however like the double hammocks. If it gets colder than you are comfortable with your UQ you can add a pad and it is easier to use a pad inside the double layer. I have a dbl WBBB and a dbl Swithback. I just ordered a Wilderness Logics Lite Owl so I would have a hammock without a net. I will add an adjustible ridge line to the Lite Owl.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I like to use the WBBB with the BBO in the winter. I don't like to sleep with things that alter my breathing while I sleep and with the traveler in the cold temps, that is what I have to do. This would be a little different if I had a pod to wrap up in. Maybe next year...
    I like the double layers for putting a 1/16" pad or Insul-Brite at my feet. I wish all of my hammocks had double layer bottoms.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I recently got a traveler for the no bug season.

Sounds like you make valid reasons to get a traveler!

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm actually going in that direction now. Planning on hitting the trails tomorrow with my new traveler set up.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Images
    I sold my 1.1 double wbbb for the very same reason you are thinking about. No need for two layers if you never use a pad and a 1.7 single wbbb is lighter.

I purchased a 1.7 single traveler (from Raul) and used it only one night in the woods.
    I missed every feature the wbbb offered.
    Do to the hammocks floppyness nothing stays in the hammock unless you are in there with it.
    TQ has to be draped over ridgeline or it fall out on the ground. The wbbb's footbox and net does a great job of holding
    everything in the hammock when you get out, say to water the trees at night.
    I also missed the shelf for storing my stocking cap, sleeping gloves, odds and ends for the nights sleep.

YMMV but I sold my traveler. It's just too minimalist for me.
    The weight saving was not worth the loss of features.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I sold my 1.1 double wbbb for the very same reason you are thinking about. No need for two layers if you never use a pad and a 1.7 single wbbb is lighter.

I purchased a 1.7 single traveler (from Raul) and used it only one night in the woods.
    I missed every feature the wbbb offered.
    Do to the hammocks floppyness nothing stays in the hammock unless you are in there with it.
    TQ has to be draped over ridgeline or it fall out on the ground. The wbbb's footbox and net does a great job of holding
    everything in the hammock when you get out, say to water the trees at night.
    I also missed the shelf for storing my stocking cap, sleeping gloves, odds and ends for the nights sleep.

YMMV but I sold my traveler. It's just too minimalist for me.
    The weight saving was not worth the loss of features.
    Good point....Here's the kicker...I bought the WBBB1.0 DL as my first hammock when I was a newb....so I started out with the Cadillac right away...so I don't even know what a "regular" hammock feels like
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    everything O&B stated is entirely correct. It's totally minimalist. TQ has to be draped over the ridgeline. I keep my backpack right next to me to retrieve anything I need as far as additional clothing or food.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Going to use the traveler for winter. I never sleep in my BB any more. I prefer minimal plus less weight. BB is my wife's now.

I have two travelers right now a 1.7 and a 1.1 both single layer. Considering getting a 1.1 DL so I can wedge a pad in there if needed for winter use

S

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    ....so I may not need the WBBB at all.
    You won't have any problem selling it, that's for sure. But if you're in a PIF mood, I'd be happy to take it off your hands, turn around and PIF my current DL Traveller (which I love!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast