Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Consider putting vest and jackets/parkas on "backwards", with arms through the sleeves/arm openings but zipper(opened) towards the back. This really seems to improve the loft above you to help fill the gaps.

Good idea, but as a side sleeper not much help.

Another thing to check: I have found the down tends to shift towards the ends, surprisingly. I would think it would drift down towards the low point, the butt.

That was it. I checked and found a gap at the center. Observing the Pod from outside it looks like a distinct crease right across the center. Seems that moving about tends to force the down away from the center and towards the ends.

I am with you on the leg area sag, but I don't think I have ever noticed any on the head end. I'll have to watch for that next time. I have to be careful most of the time or my head will really over heat using the pod.

Going to try AHE "Thingies" installed upside down at both ends.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm surprised at the cold butt at only 38. I have never had that in the PeaPod
    CBS in PeaPod = PeaPod hung too tight
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanguru View Post
    Stormcrows quilts are very reasonably priced and a longer one would be the perfect "bottom half" of a pod. I have some down laying around...but "that's a lotta work".

But after seeing video of Mac's IX sock that looks interesting. And a LOT easier to make than a Pod.
    I have several dif cut UQs, that I can either use by themselves or add to the pod. I can either hang them inside the pod in normal fashion and snug them up tightly, or just lay them inside the pod. Actually, I would more likely just hang the pod loose and just put them in there without using their suspensions. Because as nice as I think a dif cut pod would be, it really has not amounted to much over the years. First, I find it pretty easy to get things adjusted on my Claytor so that it(the pod) is just barely touching my back. Maybe have to get out and adjust once, then leave it on the hammock. Or, if there is a small gap, I always seem to get away with that, whereas that will be a freezing night with a normal UQ. Or, I just leave the gap on purpose planning on adding a jacket or UQ or something, to get mega-loft. There is a lot of versatility with this system.

Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Consider putting vest and jackets/parkas on "backwards", with arms through the sleeves/arm openings but zipper(opened) towards the back. This really seems to improve the loft above you to help fill the gaps.

Good idea, but as a side sleeper not much help.
    It has actually worked pretty good for me, maybe even better when on my side. Not the "backwards" part, but just draping over me. When on my side in the narrow Claytor, I rotate the pod so that any vent is on the side right next to my face, maybe even slightly downhill from my face. I have found that with this combo, it drapes even better, and sense cold air sinks, there is not going to be much cold air coming in or warm air escaping. Now with a puffy jacket or vest draped over my shoulders, I am in good shape.

Another thing to check: I have found the down tends to shift towards the ends, surprisingly. I would think it would drift down towards the low point, the butt.

That was it. I checked and found a gap at the center. Observing the Pod from outside it looks like a distinct crease right across the center. Seems that moving about tends to force the down away from the center and towards the ends.
    Good! That may help.

I am with you on the leg area sag, but I don't think I have ever noticed any on the head end. I'll have to watch for that next time. I have to be careful most of the time or my head will really over heat using the pod.

Going to try AHE "Thingies" installed upside down at both ends.
    Curiosity made me go set up my Claytor and pod. I can't tell what is going on at my legs, I assume there is a pretty good gap. But sure enough, with it adjusted so that there is just barely contact at butt level, it remained pretty much in contact, or very close, all the way up to my shoulders. Behind my head, there was only a very minimal gap. But like I oft have said, it's not like head warmth is any kind of problem anyway with this combo. Could how well this fits and degree of gaping vary according to the hammock used?

BTW, are any of the pod users here able to sleep mid-line? I can comfortably in my Claytor. I was reminded just now that when I do this, this PeaPod lays down right on my body, head to toe, really no gaps at all. Even more so than it does on the diagonal with this hammock. I might not want to sleep this way all of the time. But it is a trick I keep in mind if I find myself cold on top.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My old contribution.........
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hammock 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    DIY TQ. HG UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Dynaglide

awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    My old contribution.........
    Shug

Hahah. That's great. It took me a while to realize that was a miniature model.

In regards to the pod however - that is basically what I have been thinking about making. Basically just an oversized quilt right? Would a quilt pod be able to cinch down around the neck on a gathered end hammock to retain heat or would the sides interfere. What are the draw backs to this?

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789