Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Claytor NN stock suspension safe or not?

I started this as a reply to 6 feet over on the "1st serious cold weather test for my Clark…" thread, then I decided I might be hijacking and better just start a new thread. So:

Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    Miguel,

I know you’re a Claytor guy, and I have one of those as well. I’ve yet to use it though, as my son took it every night we hung together. I’m not really happy with the stock suspension system on that, but I don’t have the time to experiment and change it. I’d like to go with rings, but I’d have to see them work to trust them with my weight. (I’m only 200 lbs, but I don’t feel like falling on my rear!).......
    My son is wanting to just use the stock webbing that came with his Claytor No Net, to save money, trouble, time and weight. Those things look pretty thin to me, and I changed mine. But surely Tom Claytor would know ( from customer complaints) if they had any tendency to break at the rated weight limits, and would not sell them if there was a problem?

Also, when I used the suspension as directed per Claytor web site ( webbing from one side( say right side) of the hammock, around tree, back to bowline loop tied on other end( left side) of webbing, thru the loop and then tightened up with a slipping half hitch around both lines like a truckers hitch), again- it worked great. Very simple, no added hardware, quick and easy. But when I untied it, the webbing at the bowline loop would have that slightly "melted" look you sometimes get with webbing thru webbing. Which is worrisome, and Ed Speer says this weakens webbing and should be avoided. IOW, add a biner. But again, if there was a problem with this and people were getting dumped on the ground, would Claytor continue using this webbing and recommending this knot? In fact, I believe he says something like "It is very important to use this exact knot".

Any thoughts on the stock suspension and if it can be trusted below 250 lbs? Is there any body here that has used the stock set up and recommended knots for a while without problems? Or the opposite: has any body hit the ground?

I'm not sure the webbing on the No Net is as wide as what comes on the Jungle. Any one here been able to compare the two?

Of course, another problem is the water wicking issue. And sense you have 2 lines coming back to the hammock, I guess you will need 2 drip lines on each end to divert the water flow. Unless pulling them together with the half hitch, as directed at the web site just before the hammock contact point, in one knot with some line hanging down, would divert the H2O?

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I started this as a reply to 6 feet over on the "1st serious cold weather test for my Clark…" thread, then I decided I might be hijacking and better just start a new thread. So:

My son is wanting to just use the stock webbing that came with his Claytor No Net, to save money, trouble, time and weight. Those things look pretty thin to me, and I changed mine. But surely Tom Claytor would know ( from customer complaints) if they had any tendency to break at the rated weight limits, and would not sell them if there was a problem?

Also, when I used the suspension as directed per Claytor web site ( webbing from one side( say right side) of the hammock, around tree, back to bowline loop tied on other end( left side) of webbing, thru the loop and then tightened up with a slipping half hitch around both lines like a truckers hitch), again- it worked great. Very simple, no added hardware, quick and easy. But when I untied it, the webbing at the bowline loop would have that slightly "melted" look you sometimes get with webbing thru webbing. Which is worrisome, and Ed Speer says this weakens webbing and should be avoided. IOW, add a biner. But again, if there was a problem with this and people were getting dumped on the ground, would Claytor continue using this webbing and recommending this knot? In fact, I believe he says something like "It is very important to use this exact knot".

Any thoughts on the stock suspension and if it can be trusted below 250 lbs? Is there any body here that has used the stock set up and recommended knots for a while without problems? Or the opposite: has any body hit the ground?

I'm not sure the webbing on the No Net is as wide as what comes on the Jungle. Any one here been able to compare the two?

Of course, another problem is the water wicking issue. And sense you have 2 lines coming back to the hammock, I guess you will need 2 drip lines on each end to divert the water flow. Unless pulling them together with the half hitch, as directed at the web site just before the hammock contact point, in one knot with some line hanging down, would divert the H2O?

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
    You may need more than drip lines.... Ask Hacktorious about his bath tub at the MAHHA.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    When I first got my Claytor, I used the stock webbing, but they frayed quite a bit. I think they are plenty strong enough, even when used with only one line between the support and the hammock. I replaced them with one inch wide webbing and rings. Generally, I replace the webbing about once a year just for cheap insurance. The rings take care of any rain wicking problems.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    When I first got my Claytor, I used the stock webbing, but they frayed quite a bit. I think they are plenty strong enough, even when used with only one line between the support and the hammock. I replaced them with one inch wide webbing and rings. Generally, I replace the webbing about once a year just for cheap insurance. The rings take care of any rain wicking problems.
    Yep, that's why I changed to what I had been using on my other hammocks- short piece of strong cord, cinch buckle, webbing with biner.

I need to find the post about Hactorious at MAHHA.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    You're going to wind up getting rid of that stock webbing anyway, because of the wicking and the stretch, so why put yourself through this?
    Last edited by Hector; 05-04-2008 at 11:47. Reason: You are, not belongs to you -- sheesh

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I replaced them with one inch wide webbing and rings. Generally, I replace the webbing about once a year just for cheap insurance. The rings take care of any rain wicking problems.
    Does somebody have a pic with an arrangement such as this. Perhaps with the parts called out so that a rigging newb such as me knows what to ask for at the webbing/ring/buckle store? My first intent was to just go with the claytor knots on wider webbing, but something cinchable might be good.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    you could start by looking here...
    Moon Pie's No Net Mods
    this is my No Net mods...it's got some photos but here's another for ya...

You'll see the stock strap on the ground...in my hand is the added Ridge Line, All the instructions are in the link above as to how I did it and the average cost.

For what it's worth...I am just a thin hair over 250 #...and the stock straps held me just fine before they were retired...and I did have the "Melted Look"....only mine were MELTED! I can also tell you that this set up pictured above will hold close to 300#...I was in it and my 5 yr old got in it with me...and I think Trace weighs about 45-50 pounds. I'll post a photo of that soon.
    Last edited by alex30808; 05-03-2008 at 12:18.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

Claytor No Net with both Trace and Moon Pie in it.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    Nice work! Also just found Just Jeff's homemade gear web site - the section on "Hammock Supports" is chock full of this sort of info. (old news to many of you i'm sure...)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I believe they are plenty strong enough....held me for a while at 190 lbs. I replaced them with one inch polyester straps from www.strapworks.com and cinch buckles...much easier to set up and adjust. I find the cinch buckles to be more secure than the ring system.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast