Tarp
    MambaJ/OMW
    Insulation
    WinterNest/Leigh20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

2QZQ Undercover - Condensation Issue

Hey folks,
    I've got a condensation issue that I've been trying to solve and thought I would post it here for some feedback. I am current using my WBBB-1.7DL with a Leigh's 20 degree 2/3 under quilt along with the 2QZQ sil-nylon undercover. I notice that the undercover really helps keep some extra warmth from escaping and I wanted to use it to protect my under quilt. However, each morning I have quite a bit of condensation between the undercover and the quilt. I don't like the idea of packing my quilt up wet so I really need to solve this. The temps are hovering right around freezing. 25 to 35 degrees. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Waalkes

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I know that this sounds something like what I've seen in the HHSS a few times.

The suggestion that most people follow with the HHSS is to put a space blanket between the pad (in your case the UQ) and the hammock.

Definitely increases the warmth...and for me it seemed to decrease the amount of condensation that formed in the bottom undercover and pad.

You might also be sleeping a bit too warm, and sweating more...which then condenses where it's cooler (down in your UQ and undercover). You might reduce what you're wearing a bit, and/or use a lighter TQ.

I'm NOT an extremely experienced hanger...so take my advice with a grain of salt, and probably follow the suggestions from those who know more than me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A few thoughts.
    1. During breakfast or lunch try to dry your quilt.
    2. Try not to close off the quilt so much. Have a little gap between the undercover and underquilt.
    3. Switch to their breathable version. I have one on order and am hoping it doesn't have the condensation issues.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    I've been using a DIY poncho under cover and experience the same problem. At colder temps the condensation will form frost and you simply shake it off. You may try loosening up the UC suspension to allow it to breath more. I'm currently experimenting with a cotton sock from MacEntrye. More on Mac's cotton sock in the future.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    ZQ here. You need a vapor barrier between you and your underquilt at certain temps. Tim can respond after work this evening if someone hasn't explained the vapor barrier issue before then.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ZQ here. You need a vapor barrier between you and your underquilt at certain temps. Tim can respond after work this evening if someone hasn't explained the vapor barrier issue before then.
    Which is the primary purpose of the space blanket I'd suggested earlier...the secondary effect is to reflect a bit of the radiant warmth from the sleeper's body back into the hammock as well.

Images
    I chose the ripstop version to avoid condensation issues. No issues so far. This is pulled directly from their website:

The breathable ripstop protector is perfect for adding wind and water resistant protection to your quilt without creating condensation issues.

You may want to keep it a bit loose to improve air circulation.

Images
    I did the space blanket (vapor barrier) between me and my UQ. When I was using a HHSS (hennessy hammock super shelter)
    It did keep the UQ dry however the cloths I slept in were wet. That really sucked when it was 20 degrees outside.

Since that one time I've become a believer that everything below your tarp needs to be breathable. The more your gear breaths the dryer you'll be.

That said, I have read that on multiple overnights below freezing, where condensation can build up in your down, some will sleep in there rain gear to keep the moisture out of their down. Haven't tried this, sound very sticky, but I bet it would work.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL/HenExpDlx/BMBH/Nano7
    Tarp
    MambaJ/OMW
    Insulation
    WinterNest/Leigh20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone! I did some research on the vapor barrier and that's definitely the issue here. I think I'm going order a breathable version as well. It really makes a big difference for me, but I'm nervous about trying to manage the VB until I do a lot more backyard practice Again, thanks for the input!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Waalkes View Post
    Thanks everyone! I did some research on the vapor barrier and that's definitely the issue here. I think I'm going order a breathable version as well. It really makes a big difference for me, but I'm nervous about trying to manage the VB until I do a lot more backyard practice Again, thanks for the input!
    That is what I would do.
    Waterproof UQP have there place, summer monsoons for instance but not in cold weather. YMMV

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast