Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeShazo View Post
    My vet is my breeder. She encouraged me to do it. She said " His breed is a working dog and he needs a job to do and this will be great for him." He only had 1.5 lbs of food on the way in, and the last day he had the a sack of trash on either side of his pack just to have something in it to keep it from flopping around as he had eaten all his food that morning. The trash clearly was lighter than the food he carried in.
    Talk about a conflict of interest... J/K

I in no way was trying to say it's something you shouldn't do. I plan on seeing if my Vizsla will make a good trail dog. I have doubts about it though. His main job is pointing at birds, and every once in a great while retrieving them. I don't know if a dog that's a trained hunting dog would make for a good trail dog. I'm pretty certain that he's going to want to go find birds the entire time we're out.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    His main job is pointing at birds, and every once in a great while retrieving them. I don't know if a dog that's a trained hunting dog would make for a good trail dog. I'm pretty certain that he's going to want to go find birds the entire time we're out.
    Sounds like my dogs (irish setters)... and at least Im pretty sure males suck for hikking. I took one on a trip and first day he covered himself with some kind of corpse, i guess to hide his smell from his "prey", but i couldn't bare the smell so that ended the trip. Females are not too hyper and do tend to stay closer so you can control what they are doing.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 04-27-2009 at 15:38.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I don't know if a dog that's a trained hunting dog would make for a good trail dog. I'm pretty certain that he's going to want to go find birds the entire time we're out.
    Just teach the dog that hunting/pointing is a different job then walking along with you. Might take a while. Should be possible.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eay View Post
    Just teach the dog that hunting/pointing is a different job then walking along with you. Might take a while. Should be possible.
    Pointing is completely instinctive, there's no way to train that out of a good pointing dog. I wouldn't want to either. The hunting, is a different matter, that's a more learned behavior, and I'm counting on what you're talking about. We'll see. Since he's gotta be on leash while on trail that will make things easier.

Once he gets a whiff of a grouse. That will be the test.

Hammock
    Dual Layer 1.7 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Landau 3/16" pad
    Images
    Pointing is completely instinctive, there's no way to train that out of a good pointing dog. I wouldn't want to either. The hunting, is a different matter, that's a more learned behavior, and I'm counting on what you're talking about. We'll see. Since he's gotta be on leash while on trail that will make things easier.

Once he gets a whiff of a grouse. That will be the test.
    Reese is a bird dog and hiking dog (as of this weekend). I never ran into any quail while we were out (which is what he is trained on) or he was running too much to care if we did. When we got to camp he did go goofy on butterflies though. He was pointing then chasing them everywhere. It was too funny.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    I kept scanning this thread thinking someone had engineered a hammock underchamber for their dogs, one that would let the dog sleep in comfort and trap warmth. Wouldn't it be great on a two-dog night?

I hiked by some folks with an adult and pup wolf this last weekend. They were beautiful animals, but I was very respectful when the LARGE one growled at me. They could kick anything's butt, that's for sure!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Originally Posted by titanium_hiker
    the dogs were left behind when we moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley
    You did what?!
    Yeah, we had to leave them with our neighbours. We moved across continents, to Australia (from South America) and the quarantine stuff was too complex, expensive, and not fair to a dog who's used to a large back yard and the run of a school compound when school's not in. It was sad, but the best thing for the dog.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    Originally Posted by titanium_hiker
    the dogs were left behind when we moved.

Yeah, we had to leave them with our neighbours. We moved across continents, to Australia (from South America) and the quarantine stuff was too complex, expensive, and not fair to a dog who's used to a large back yard and the run of a school compound when school's not in. It was sad, but the best thing for the dog.
    That's a heartbreaker of a decision to have to make. What a bummer.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    My dog's breathe smells too bad. Not only would he have to have his own hammock, but his own campsite too!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    My dog's breathe smells too bad. Not only would he have to have his own hammock, but his own campsite too!!
    Heehee. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy food that contains Herring. I thought I was going to fall over the other day from our dog's breath. Shortly after I instituted a ban on the purchase of Herring based mutt food. I don't even like thinking about it; ugh.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast