Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    I suspect you are leaking air seriously. Look at every photo inside a gathered end hammock taken by the occupant shooting toward his feet. Lots of furrows. Most everybody assumes those furrows are closed and do not channel cold air.
    +1

I discovered that the ridge in my gathered end hammock left a gap in the seal of my UQ down by my calves that allowed cold air to leak in and pool between my hammock and UQ causing major CBS. I managed to plug it with a sock, but will soon be adding a draft tube to the foot end to address the issue.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    I'm still waiting for 2QZQ (or someone else with epic skills) to design the Velcro Hang Mod where you attach UQ's along horizontal velcro strips so it snugs up tightly, shifts with your body, and you don't feel like a shock-cord taco. I always found it odd that shock-cord was best method people could come up with.
    It's been done...the Speer SnugFit quilt mates to the Speer hammock perfectly. Sadly, it's no longer available.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have the 3-season Incubator as well, and had (sometimes still have) the same problem. I found that the quilt sags too much in the middle; the weight of the quilt pulls the middle down. It's no use to pull the shock cords tight (or tighter - mine were already very tight). The only result I got with tight shock cords was pressure on my head.

What I found worked for me was adding a shock cord to both ends of the quilt (there are loops for that reason), together with a cord stopper (2-hole works very well). With this solution, I can adjust the tension for different hammocks easily, and it solved the air pocket problem.

By the way: if you're not sure if the quilt is sagging, just lie in your hammock and put your hand between the hammock and the quilt. In my case, there was a lot of room.

I don't really understand why the full length quilts need to be able to slide along the shock cords. This might be a useful feature for a shorter quilt, since you have to position it - but with a full length quilt, I think it's always in the same place. I assume that the sagging could be prevented if the shock cord was fixed.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a "prototype" Incubator that Adam sent me last year. I don't think it is baffled quite like his newer version, but he did modify the suspension a bit. I'm not sure if all of his quilts now have this modified suspension or not.

Each "corner" of the quilt has an extra gros-grain loop that "corrals" a cord-lock that in turn anchors the quilt to the shock cord suspension, preventing the quilt from slipping around on the suspension. The only change I'd make to this is using the cord-locks that can be sewn directly to the quilt corners and attached to the suspension.

With this "prototype," once the quilt is adjusted for the hammock, I have had ZERO air gap CBS issues. I do have to move the quilt around on the suspension depending on which hammock I'm in. And it is a MAJOR help to have someone in the hammock while adjusting.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY (soon)
    Insulation
    modified SBUQ
    Heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by HobieCat View Post
    shock-cord taco.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    It's been done...the Speer SnugFit quilt mates to the Speer hammock perfectly. Sadly, it's no longer available.
    Also part of the secret to the Speer PeaPod. Though the pod is 1st adjusted/tensioned with non-elastic cords on the end, it is also supported by full length Velcro across the top. Not a quilt Velcro to hammock Velcro deal, but works more than good enough. Cinched down on the ends after adjusting just where you want it(looser for adding more insulation or snug) and closed along the Velcro(additional support), no cold air is getting in and it's not going anywhere. Ed and Youngblood knew what they were doing!

A JRB MW on a JRB bridge is close to the above. There is really no shock cord or adjustment involved. Sure, there is the elastic suspension, but I don't really see that it serves much function in this set up. Because you run the hammock's loops through the quilts loops, and the suspension biners attach to the hammock, not the quilt!
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00651...eb%20Small.JPG
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00654...eb%20Small.JPG

Brilliant! I find that there is really very little, if any, stretch available to the suspension after you get in. The quilt just hangs the correct distance (supported by the hammock's loops) below the hammock so that when you get in it is a snug-fit above the head to below the foot. It is also not going anywhere after you get in.

Per the OP, I don't have one of this brand, so I don't know if any of this applies to a full length Incubator. But based on my torso sized Synthetic WB Yeti, which has from 2.5 to 16.5 oz (adjustable) of Climashield hanging under it, I'd say "get er tight"! Before I get in, it is holding the hammock up 2 or 3 feet. Like this:

Keep in mind this Safari hammock hangs further below the RL than any hammock I know of, so this is pulled up even higher than it looks.This still leaves some elastic slack after I am in, but not a whole lot. This and make sure it is the exact right position relative to your neck. VERY important! Mine needs to be with the top edge of the quilt right about my shoulder/neck line. A few inches higher or lower makes a big dif. Error is better tolerated if towards lower. A little to high ( even a couple of inches) and game over. Unless you need to vent, then great!

But adequately tight and positioned top edge at neck/shoulders, always way warm and toasty at least into the 20s with only 3 layers. I have never even had all 4 layers in it. I usually just attach to the end knots, but sometimes I also then rig the bottom shock cords up to the ridgeline a foot or so towards the center. You can see little loops I have put in the foot end shockcord for this purpose.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-04-2011 at 08:35.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Interesting comment re: HG shockcord sizes

My 3-S, 3/4 length Phoenix had the lighter weight shockcord as standard. I had a need for that size, and just happened to have a hank of slightly heavier cord on hand so I swapped it out.

I found that the heavier cord snugged the UQ better for me with less tension.

I am lucky with my CJH NX-250 in that I can route the shockcord OVER the web pockets for the spreader hoops at each end. This seems to automatically pull the UQ into a snugger configuration.

Jim

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    I've got one of the DP hammockgear UQ's.
    http://www.dphammockgear.com/quilts--pillow.html
    Elastic at the ends with shockcord and a loop in the middle on both sides.
    I run shock cord up over the structural ridgeline at ends and middle and it conforms nicely with no air gaps
    DKPerdue

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkperdue View Post
    I've got one of the DP hammockgear UQ's.
    http://www.dphammockgear.com/quilts--pillow.html
    Elastic at the ends with shockcord and a loop in the middle on both sides.
    I run shock cord up over the structural ridgeline at ends and middle and it conforms nicely with no air gaps
    DKPerdue
    Freshly thought or re-thought approach. No more shock cord than needed.
    If air leakage IS the OP's problem, maybe single layer skirts, small weathershields of fabric attached to the end of the UQ, to go up and wrap the hammock ends are a lightweight and low-bulk solution?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    My 3-S, 3/4 length Phoenix had the lighter weight shockcord as standard. I had a need for that size, and just happened to have a hank of slightly heavier cord on hand so I swapped it out.

I found that the heavier cord snugged the UQ better for me with less tension.

I am lucky with my CJH NX-250 in that I can route the shockcord OVER the web pockets for the spreader hoops at each end. This seems to automatically pull the UQ into a snugger configuration.

Jim
    Yes, all that no-added-cost problem-solving we CJH owners can take advantage of. Even the tent-peak models offer convenient anchors for the directly vertical suspension of the UQ at both ends too, if you want to try that method.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast