Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    I have been researching the insulation topic most of the day. I am trying to gather info prior to the arrival of my first hammock this coming week. I have purchased a Blue Wal-mart CCF pad. As far as the extra "wing" pad could you use a piece of egg crate foam?
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

http://youtu.be/v_UhM4sMzYI

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flight_chick View Post
    I have been researching the insulation topic most of the day. I am trying to gather info prior to the arrival of my first hammock this coming week. I have purchased a Blue Wal-mart CCF pad. As far as the extra "wing" pad could you use a piece of egg crate foam?
    Egg Crate style foam is open cell, and it compresses down to almost nothing (open cell is what they put in thermarest pads, hence why you have to inflate a thermarest for full insulation value). I would worry about moisture as well, since they literally are a "sponge".

However, if you attach it on the OUTSIDE of the hammock somehow, like an underquilt it would be plenty warm...just not as warm or moisture resistant as CCF.

From personal experience, I used a blue CCF for awhile, then purchased an Alps Mountaineering 1/2" foam pad. I found them too warm for anything above 40 degrees, but I'm an extremely hot sleeper.

Then I got an underquilt. My foam pad has been collecting dust for two years.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started with a thermarest pro light in mreat pad for shelters or tents.y Hennessey. I slid off it to much but is a great pad for shelters or tents. Last year I used a thermarest ridge rest foam pad and also tried a wally world. I beleive I am going to to the gossamer gear closed cell pad next much wider and developed for Hammocks. Comfort isnt really the issue in a Hammock insulation is!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    I wish there was a .2 mm-thick pad with r-30 that weighed 5 grams and packed into a thimble.
    "I'd rather rein in a bull than prod an ***."

Survival News Online
    The Truth About Liberty
    SNOmultimedia YouTube Channel

Images
    My wife got me a Big Agnes sleeping bag for my birthday. It's the kind with a pocket on the bottom and no insulation. I slip my Walmart blue pad into the pocket, then sleep comfortably in the hammock. It works really well. I still prefer my 45F UQ in warmer weather, but for now this is my best cold weather setup.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight (camo)
    Tarp
    Chinook Tarp
    Insulation
    USGIPL
    Suspension
    Amazon Microropes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Thicker pad = better insulative value. The waffle pads are 1/2" thick, but the thin areas inbetween the thicker "hexes" is about 1/8" or so (I can post a pic if needed to help visualize). These thin areas reduce the overall efficiency of the pad IME. A pad with a consistent 1/2" thickness is warmer. I personally haven't tried a yoga mat - I'm just referring to any CCF pad with a consistent thickness.

There are several different types of foams used in CCF pads, and some are softer than others (Minicel and Evazote) that conform better than stiffer types with less buckling (or the buckling is less noticeable).
    It would be amazingly efficient if you were to glue or tape reflectix on the underside of the ccf waffle pad. All those inefficient grooves turn into efficient air pockets.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123