Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Not familiar with Academy but you definitely won't find the pricey Exped Downmat at Walmart. They are available at REI.

Many use the basic blue closed cell foam mat from Walmart. I use Under quilts but if I did use a foam pad I'd try scoring the underside of the pad like a cut mango to help it flex.
    You put the cut side up or down?

If down it opens the cuts and decreases in the insulating values I assume.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have used the waffle pattern blue pad from Wallyworld as it is wider at 24" vice
    20" for the smooth blue pad. Cost a bit more at $12. Weighs 15oz. Can be used down to the 20's depending on how you use it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    I went on my first trip this weekend. I took a blue ccf pad...One of the $6 jobs. I have not done a Frankenstein treatment on it at this point. No mango cuts, no sleeve, no wings. I just wanted a starting point.

It dipped down to about 30 degrees. I packed my fleece at one shoulder and a wool sweater at the other. It was pretty comfortable and I had no trouble at all with the temperature.

The only glitch was the the pad did shift from under my feet at one point and over the edge of the hammock. A quick adjustment (required me getting up) got it into place and I was good the rest of the night.

So-if you are looking for something cheap to get you started, I had luck with the pad. I will probably start to customize it at this point to work on the shifting issue, as well as getting the shoulder insulation integrated into the pad.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

BA Insulated Inflatable Pad

I found that it was easiest to inflate the pad slip it in the BA sleeping bag sleeve and not fully inflate at bed time like I normally do. Usually the pad looses some of its fullness when the temp dips at night and when sleeping in a tent I add a puff or two as I am ready to hit the sack so that it will be full up. In the hammock I left the pad slightly underinflated and the pad conformed to the hammock nicely. I was very warm.

A blue CCF from WM in Houston is a hard find. Other stores wanted $17 to $25 for similar foam pads. I gave up looking last year and purchased a thermarest "camp" pad, 3/4 length from Academy. I was very happy, although now that I have an UQ it gets used only casually indoors or in the yard. I use it under inflated.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Academy tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I ended up taking back my blue CCF pad from Walmart and getting Walmart's yoga mat. It's about a half inch thick and I slept so much warmer on it than on my blue pad.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Which WM pad did you have - the waffle or the plain pad?

I would agree that the waffle pad (for me) was good down to around 35F or so, due to the inconsistent thickness. Anything lower and the plain 1/2" pad was warmer. Teens down to 0F requires two 1/2" pads - for me at least.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    I would agree that the waffle pad (for me) was good down to around 35F or so, due to the inconsistent thickness. Anything lower and the plain 1/2" pad was warmer. Teens down to 0F requires two 1/2" pads - for me at least.
    Does that mean that the thinner pads are better for colder temps because they conform a little better than the thicker waffel pads? Are the 1/2" pads your talking about the yoga mats?
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

50 degrees...sound warm

I found that at 50 degrees I didn't need any insulation. Under 40 I used my big agnes insulated inflatable mattress.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinthewuds View Post
    Does that mean that the thinner pads are better for colder temps because they conform a little better than the thicker waffel pads? Are the 1/2" pads your talking about the yoga mats?
    Thicker pad = better insulative value. The waffle pads are 1/2" thick, but the thin areas inbetween the thicker "hexes" is about 1/8" or so (I can post a pic if needed to help visualize). These thin areas reduce the overall efficiency of the pad IME. A pad with a consistent 1/2" thickness is warmer. I personally haven't tried a yoga mat - I'm just referring to any CCF pad with a consistent thickness.

There are several different types of foams used in CCF pads, and some are softer than others (Minicel and Evazote) that conform better than stiffer types with less buckling (or the buckling is less noticeable).
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast