Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New hammock-er from UK! Pic dump

Hey guys! I'd like to start off saying that your forum is fantastic. Everyone is so helpful and patient!

Me and the Bloke have had two hammock camping trips so far, both in the same woods in the South East UK. We got a good deal from Neil at Tenth Wonder Hammocks for our starter kit thing. One XL hammock for me (because I'm super tall for a girl) and an extra wide XL for Him- 6"7 rugby player doesn't really fit many things, especially the bog standard hammock we borrowed from the Explorer Scouts on our first mission! We also got a 3m x 3m tarp to cover the both of us instead of two separate tarps. You'll see why in the pics. Also got a Storm Kettle (which He had lots of fun with) and some extra bits and bobs like para cord and some tree huggers to try out- didn't actually use them this time though.

So here are some pictures from our second outing!

My little 3-way ridge line

Siberian hitch one one end

Some triangle knot I learned from the Explorer Scout leader

I had some Technicals Merino wool thermals on, I was using a 3-4 Season down Eurohike sleeping bag, and with an old 2-3 season eurohike as an over-the-hammock-blanket- very effective! (I am a very cold sleeping, and our first night out in the hammocks the previous week I just had the mat and the down sleeping bag, no thermals, and I didn't get a wink of sleep because I was so cold. I took extra measures to ensure my comfort with the over-blanket!) I also had a self inflating eurohike sleeping mat. I sound like a eurohike ***** but I bought most of my kit before I started working at Millets/Blacks so I was unaware of how crap EH is. However I haven't had the money (ontop of buying the hammock gear) to update any. I've just bought a 4-5 season "Expedition" Snugpak sleeping bag, and maayybe a bog standard thermarest.

Bloke was using my XXL 3-4 season EH sleeping bag, and a foam mat- alot less than me and he reported he was very warm.

Definitely hooked now. We are going up to his house in the Midlands next week so we hope to take the kit up with us and find a nice spot along the canal. I'm not fearing the UK cold winter yet, I will be prepared!

Edit: I have had contrasting advice on what angle to hang at, someone said that the "banana" shape is uncomfy so try to hang as straight and as taught as possible, and other research suggesting that the 30 degree rule is better. I chose, because of the tree distance, and lack of super in-depth research, to hang straight and taught. It was very comfy, but next time, if the tree distance allows me, I'll hang a bit more banana-y ^^
    Last edited by Beansprout; 11-06-2011 at 16:36.

What a shame you're moving, you could come to the Sussex BushcraftUK meet on the 17th/18th - I'll be hanging there. Whereabouts in the SE do you live now?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Welcome to the forum to the both of you. You are off to a great start.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Spandit, I live very close to Thorpe Park, staying here for a few years at least! Only visiting shropshire The Bushcraft meet sounds good, though I think those dates clash with plans next week. If there is another one in the UK with a little more notice I'll certainly have a gander!

Thanks Veto ^^

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome from Alabama!
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Quote Originally Posted by Beansprout View Post
    The Bushcraft meet sounds good
    We're hoping to make it a monthly event. First one was last month when it wasn't too cold. We meet at Broadstone Warren near Wych Cross, details on bushcraftuk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness from the other side of the pond.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Welcome aboard, its always nice when people introduce themselves with a trip report.

As for the contrasting advice you've received. It partly depends on the hammock, some do better with a tighter pull than others. The reason for the 30 degree hang is that a good number of people here sleep in a gathered end hammock and those tend to lay better when strung at the "magical" 30 degree angle, as well as through some sort of math magic decreases the strain on the fabric and suspension. And even then we tend to sleep diagonally across the fabric and not straight on down the center.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite zip mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Hello super tall English girl from a really short Scottish one
    “The censorious said she slept in a hammock and understood Yeats's poems, but her family denied both stories.”
    ― Saki, The Chronicles of Clovis

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    A big welcome from Sweden!
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast