Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    hey, that's how I tie my necktie when I have to meet with Suits

WV, while I can't speak to this particular bowline, for a while I was trying to use a slippery bowline to tie cord off at the tree-strap, and dealing with load on the suspension was definitely a problem. Had to develop a technique that with one hand kept the rabbit hole open without either my finger in it or having tension on it.

Maybe this tricky inversion thing helps with that.

Thanks for posting Mac. Old school campers can't know too many knots.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Tried that knot, and the 'Evenk hitch' (with rope and straps)

Works nice with rope, personally the exploding (quick release) part didn't work too well with straps imvho......

Love Mors though... bought his book, booklets and dvd's couple of years ago and rewatch/reread them quite often....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Got it. Thanks, Mac!

P.S. I find that--when I pull on the slippery half hitch (toward the tree) with my right hand, and pull the bulk of the knot away from the tree with my left hand--I can tighten all three "legs" of the knot simultaneously. Works well!! Thanks again!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Shug we coul do this using cord through a tree strap. It would function the same as your whoopie sling but with less cord needed (weight savings!)
    I am confused on why this is such a great knot. Are you saying that this will allow the suspension to be adjustable when tied, like a whoopie sling? I guess I'm just not seeing why this knot is different than other knots used to tie suspension straps around a tree.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    I am confused on why this is such a great knot. Are you saying that this will allow the suspension to be adjustable when tied, like a whoopie sling? I guess I'm just not seeing why this knot is different than other knots used to tie suspension straps around a tree.
    There are few knots which don't jam after being heavily loaded (laying in the hammock all night). This knot promises to be releasable. Whether or not it's better than using the primary alternative, Hennessy Figure 8 Knot, is to be seen. Both need to be undone to make adjustments.

Whoopie slings are easy to adjust but because of the closed loop require some type of hardware to be attached to tree huggers, even if that hardware is simply a trail stick in a marlin spike hitch tied in the tree hugger webbing.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Have you tried it in suspension rope yet? Preferably non-Amsteel. Does it undo easily?
    Works better with rope... the two rounds turns take the strain... I bet it is far stronger than a traditional bowline.
    ...will MoMA be showing your DutchWare art anytime soon?
    I hope to be noticed!
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Elegant, simple and clever! Thanks, Mac...(and Mors (the wizard of the woods!))!
    Mors is a gem! I really enjoyed meeting him and being his student.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    Brilliant Mac!

Love it, so well explained too.
    Thank you very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Good knot. I think its harder to say it then do it,,well for me anyway. Thanks Mac.
    I couldn't think of a good name...
    Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    Great stuff Mac ! Realy like how you walk a person through it.
    I think I could even get it right from your instruction.

Great video and contrubution.

By the way love that coat !
    Yeah, that's the Amana wool coat I snagged just before the fellow was going to put it on the gear swap table... Mors called it a Ranger jacket, and said it is a piece of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Great knot, nicely explained and demonstrated! I may go back to webbing suspensions. In use, how did it do as far as adjusting sag? It's clearly easy to take out and retie, but for a winter setup with quilts on/in hammock does it become difficult to tie when the trees are far apart and you need to use a SRL?
    Of course, it must be untied to adjust the sag. Fortunately, you can tie it without losing your adjustment. If the trees are far apart, and the hugger must be high, it helps to have plenty of webbing, so you don't have to reach up so high to tie it. With the load of a complete winter rig, one must develop sailor skills to get the knot tied... a strong left mitt to take up slack one handed, and a good pinch on the loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Nice looking knot!
    I have a mesh type hammock I've had in my old camping junk
    (maybe from Coleman?)
    there's a rope that is attached from each end that comes directly from the hammock
    It should work just fine using rope that is passed through the loop on the end of a tree hugger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I liked that Mors!
    Will try this when I go straps again.
    Shug
    I have one hammock with rings... I think I'll ditch the rings and go straps again on that one.

Now, folks who have a JRB suspension will know what to do if they lose the tri-glide!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    Shug we coul do this using cord through a tree strap. It would function the same as your whoopie sling but with less cord needed (weight savings!)
    Yep! Works when the cord goes through the loop on the end of a tree hugger. When talking suspensions, it is tough to say that there are any weight savings, since they are all so light anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    hey, that's how I tie my necktie when I have to meet with Suits

WV, while I can't speak to this particular bowline, for a while I was trying to use a slippery bowline to tie cord off at the tree-strap, and dealing with load on the suspension was definitely a problem. Had to develop a technique that with one hand kept the rabbit hole open without either my finger in it or having tension on it.

Maybe this tricky inversion thing helps with that.

Thanks for posting Mac. Old school campers can't know too many knots.
    Yer just sayin' that about ties... you never actually wear one, do you?

It might be more difficult to trip the loop when the left side has a bit of a load.
    Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Tried that knot, and the 'Evenk hitch' (with rope and straps)

Works nice with rope, personally the exploding (quick release) part didn't work too well with straps imvho......

Love Mors though... bought his book, booklets and dvd's couple of years ago and rewatch/reread them quite often....

Grtz Johan
    I found that if the slip has plenty of end, and the webbing isn't too twisted in making the knot, and if it is cinched up nice and evenly, then it comes apart more easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Thank you very much, Alan!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Got it. Thanks, Mac!

P.S. I find that--when I pull on the slippery half hitch (toward the tree) with my right hand, and pull the bulk of the knot away from the tree with my left hand--I can tighten all three "legs" of the knot simultaneously. Works well!! Thanks again!
    Neat trick! I'll try it...
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    Knotty did a good job answering your question, SweetLou... another aspect of it, which the knot shares with the towboat hitch that HH prefers, is that it can be tied while facing the tree. There aren't many knots that really lend themselves to the particular situation of hanging a hammock.
    There are few knots which don't jam after being heavily loaded (laying in the hammock all night). This knot promises to be releasable. Whether or not it's better than using the primary alternative, Hennessy Figure 8 Knot, is to be seen. Both need to be undone to make adjustments.

Whoopie slings are easy to adjust but because of the closed loop require some type of hardware to be attached to tree huggers, even if that hardware is simply a trail stick in a marlin spike hitch tied in the tree hugger webbing.
    Well said, Knotty!

Ok, I admit it... I have a quirk about hardware... every piece of hardware appears to me as a challenge to find a way to do without it!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Thanks Knotty, I thought it was just a different knot. But with the way everyone seemed so excited about it, I thought there might be some characteristics that I was missing. If I ever use straps, I'll give it a try, but I like the adjustability of the whoopie for now.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I did some testing outside on one of my trees using some amsteel. Easy knot to tie with no slippage on the knot as I pulled on the line.

If it wouldn't cause damage to tree bark, I could see long amsteel lines directly connected to a hammock at each end and used as the suspension without the need of any hardware. Simple and effective!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    [QUOTE=MacEntyre;583844]

Of course, it must be untied to adjust the sag. Fortunately, you can tie it without losing your adjustment. If the trees are far apart, and the hugger must be high, it helps to have plenty of webbing, so you don't have to reach up so high to tie it. With the load of a complete winter rig, one must develop sailor skills to get the knot tied... a strong left mitt to take up slack one handed, and a good pinch on the loop.

If you have enough rope/webbing .. an extra wrap around the tree would solve the problem of holding the weight as you tie ... I was going to rings on a Grand Trunk I just acquired from R00K ... I think I'll give this a run ... I'm with 'ya on hardware ... less is more ... those glides make nice art though ... or the tips can be sharpened and used as Ninja throwing stars ... Love the video !!
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast