Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    Has anyone ever tried sewing a sleeve on the bottom side of there hammock and just slide a pad into it?
    No response to this question? C'mon, I have been wondering the same thing for a while now. I tried putting different pads in between the layers of a double layer BB but they slid around. So...why not just sew two seams the width of the pad at a diagonal angle so he pad stays exactly in the right place?

Mountain Hardware makes a sleeping bag that has a pocket in the
    bottom of it to slide your sleeping pad into so it will stay put.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JTXR View Post
    Mountain Hardware makes a sleeping bag that has a pocket in the
    bottom of it to slide your sleeping pad into so it will stay put.
    Thanks, didn't know that. I knew that almost all Big Agnes bags are like that. Also, most Sierra Designs and REI bags have pad loops on the bottom to hold a pad in place. I am using one of those now and it seems to work ok.

I find an Exped down mat is plenty good enough bottom insulation. What I am curious about is if anyone has run a couple of seams along the double layers to make a pad sleeve or added a sleeve to the bottom to hold a pad as suggested. You could also just add short pad holding pockets at each end of the diagnal lay to hold the pad in place. Anyone?????

Quote Originally Posted by HangingOut View Post
    Thanks, didn't know that. I knew that almost all Big Agnes bags are like that. Also, most Sierra Designs and REI bags have pad loops on the bottom to hold a pad in place. I am using one of those now and it seems to work ok.

I find an Exped down mat is plenty good enough bottom insulation. What I am curious about is if anyone has run a couple of seams along the double layers to make a pad sleeve or added a sleeve to the bottom to hold a pad as suggested. You could also just add short pad holding pockets at each end of the diagnal lay to hold the pad in place. Anyone?????
    I've been wondering if anyone has done this also. I've used my exped ul 7 in my double layer hammock and it was very warm and very comfortable when it stayed in place. I also have a JRB UQ but would just as soon use the exped for the weight and more importantly volume reduction while packed. Im not interested in sewing sleeves into m hammock and have it not work and then not be able to sell my hammock when the time comes. Somebody else be the guinea pig!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    I've been wondering if anyone has done this also. I've used my exped ul 7 in my double layer hammock and it was very warm and very comfortable when it stayed in place. I also have a JRB UQ but would just as soon use the exped for the weight and more importantly volume reduction while packed. Im not interested in sewing sleeves into m hammock and have it not work and then not be able to sell my hammock when the time comes. Somebody else be the guinea pig!
    The JRB UQ should weigh far less than the exped and when compressed be smaller than the exped.....unless you're talking about storing it at the house.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I've had good results with 1 & 1/2 PADS with the shorter one criss crossed under my torso. The long pad is inserted on the diagonal. This pretty well eliminated the sliding off problem.

I carry the pads with my gearskin ( http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgea.../gearskin.html ) type pack, where they act as the frame. Otherwise, pads are kind of bulky to carry.

I made a down underquilt last year. It is warm WHEN ADJUSTED JUST RIGHT. I have found the adjustment learning curve to be pretty steep. Lots of "kind of coolish" nights where I couldn't get motivated to get out and adjust.

Early setups really are a two man job. I had help the first night I used mine and that was the best night I've ever had in it.
    grinder

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    OK, I am a cold sleeper and really like the Exped 9 down mat(R value 8). You pay a heavy weight penalty at just over two pounds but I am almost willing to accept that for the warmth and comfy night’s sleep. I could always replace my two pound sleeping bag for a lighter top quilt. Anyone ever tried fitting the end of a 20” Exped mat into the foot pocket of a WB Mamba 3 season (to keep it from slipping around)?
    Last edited by HangingOut; 12-01-2011 at 23:51.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    The JRB UQ should weigh far less than the exped and when compressed be smaller than the exped.....unless you're talking about storing it at the house.
    Exped weighs 16 oz and JRB MW3 convertible weighs around 25 oz. Pack size is not even close, exped packs up to maybe a 1/3 of UQ.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Whoopie
    Images
    I converted a rectangular 35 degree sleeping bag to an UQ for an Eagle DN and while thinking of tweaks to the UQ suspension to snug it up wondered how it'd work just stringing another DN under the UQ. Since I have 2 DN, it works great. Adjust the 2nd hammock so the UQ has room for loft and good to go. Haven't tried below 50 yet, but @50 with a polar fleece blanket for top, was just fine.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peartree View Post
    I converted a rectangular 35 degree sleeping bag to an UQ for an Eagle DN and while thinking of tweaks to the UQ suspension to snug it up wondered how it'd work just stringing another DN under the UQ. Since I have 2 DN, it works great. Adjust the 2nd hammock so the UQ has room for loft and good to go. Haven't tried below 50 yet, but @50 with a polar fleece blanket for top, was just fine.
    That's a cool idea! I wonder how light you could make this idea if you DIY. Make the "underhammock" out of 1.1 ripstop, use ultra-lite line for the suspension, use a down quilt... . It's almost a sewing-impaired person's insulated hammock! hmmm.....I'm thinking on it!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast