Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer
    Tarp
    Custom
    Insulation
    Fleece bag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I have been pondering the same thing lately. I am more of a survivalist/bushcraft guy than a backpacker/hiker/camper. I have been using a Wally World Yoga mat for my BB, and it works great but drives me nuts that it alone takes up more room than my BB and Superfly together. Last year in for my 13 hrs in 13 degrees overnighter in my ENO DN, I used an HD space blanket on top of the pad. I am going to try just using the space blanket or even a sunshade between layers on a 35-40 deg night first.

As for all you guys using something indoors, your would freeze to death in my house or car. I guess it is my Celtic blood, I rock a kilt even in the snow.- George

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've been sleeping indoors in my hammock for a few months now. After trying several ideas, I finally settled on using a folded wool blanket between the layers and safety-pinned along the sides to the bottom later. I found that folding the blanket to only cover from shoulder to mid-thigh and 6" wider than my shoulders provided the warth I need indoors and ultimately more controlable that trying to line the entire hammock.
    Last edited by mrmike65; 11-19-2011 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    tried it and found it to slide too much in my BB
    I had the same problem and put some lines of Shoe Goo on my sleeping pad to keep it from sliding around.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmike65 View Post
    I've been sleeping indoors in my hammock for a few months now. After trying several ideas, I finally settled on using a folded wool blanket between the layers and safety-pinned along the sides to the bottom later. I found that folding the blanket to only cover from shoulder to mid-thigh and 6" wider than my shoulders provided the warth I need indoors and ultimately more controlable that trying to line the entire hammock.
    This is exactly what I had in mind. I did, as suggested by Gargoyle and others above, hang my Flamethrower down underquilt under my living room hammock. (better there then just hanging in the closet!) I also folded a blanket and pinned it at the four corners to the edges of my hammock below the down underquilt. It adds warmth as well as keeps the underquilt right up under the hammock without gaps. Yeah, sometimes even I get too warm with this set up but better that then cold IMO!! Good thread, everybody!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Has anyone ever tried sewing a sleeve on the bottom side of there hammock and just slide a pad into it?
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    My setup says in my basement full time. I spend as much time as I can down there but it gets pretty cold. So I just layed one of my older car camping sleeping bags in it and I'm good to go. It dosent slip at all. This isnt the same bag but close, you can see why it dosent slip because of the material.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104770080
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    The pad thing can be comfortable if you get the right pad. I found a really sticky pad, very thin, to work well in the WBBB: didn't slide around at all. Blue pad worked less well, and was a bit too stiff to be super comfortable. Since you're hanging inside and thickness is not really an issue, get the thin sticky stretchier style pad. I can't really give you a retailer link since you're in the States (bought mine at Canadian Tire), but I think Gossamer Gear's style looks about right (as far as i can tell without touching it).

Buy two. Cut one pad in half lengthwise. Attach the two parts to the sides of the other pad with tape to make hinged sides.Cut a few darts in it (i.e. removed a V of pad material at two or three locations down the side of the pad). Trim to fit the asymmetrical nature of the 'bird. When you lie in it it warms up nicely and starts to sort of mould to your body. Enjoy.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Wow. I killed the thread.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    I started with a single layer hammock and a uq. For my last DIY hammock I made it double layer so I could experiment with some ensolite. I found I just wasn't as comfortable as a uq.

I also sleep in my hammock all the time. It's in my basement, cooler than the rest of the house but not much. I have a 3/4 length .9in climashield uq that I use currently. I didn't get the shape exactly right so there is a gap under my back and i think some coression inder my butt. Those defects reduce make this not as warm as it should be which is the only reason it I can use it indoors. I have some .6in apex and intend to make a replacement.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I've been sleeping with my down UQ's since I posted, I love it.

I tweak the UQ suspension every night and it keeps getting warmer and more comfy. Last week, I took my hammock and UQ down and took it to the mountains for a few days. Its quite a surreal experience sleeping in my now normal bed in the piney woods as well.

It has the added bonus of justifying to myself making even more down quilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast