Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop w/ Knotty Mod
    Tarp
    DIY & WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Putting my HH Expedition Asym on a diet

Hey guys,

I recently returned from a self-supported 14 day cycling tour along the pacific coast. I spent all 14 nights in my REI Quarterdome T2 (4.5 lbs packed) tent but kinda of longed for something that packs smaller, is lighter and offers a quicker setup.

I purchased a HH Expedition A-sym w/ snake skin probably 5+ years ago. I've never used it mainly because the setup weighs 3.25lbs. I can't really justify the hammock for a 1.25lbs weight savings. Sooo, I was looking at the Ultralight/Hyperlight models as well as the Warbonnet offerings for the weight saving and compactness but I thought I would see if there is anything I can do to lighten up my existing hammock.

My question is, how much weight can I save with the Expedition A-sym by switching over to whoopie slings? It seems like the the stock suspending rope is a little chunky.

Is it even worth it or should I just sell it and get a lighter model? (Btw, I'm 155lbs 5'9")

Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    Hey guys,

I've never used it mainly because the setup weighs 3.25lbs. I can't really justify the hammock for a 1.25lbs weight savings.

That's the first time I have heard of someone say there carrying the heavier item because the lighter one is only 1.25 lbs lighter......

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY & WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't want to get into the benefits/features of tent vs. hammock b/c it's been discussed ad-nauseam. For me a 1.25lbs weight savings and marginal volume savings isn't enough to get me to make a change.

If I could cut the weight and volume in half of my tent setup then I'd reconsider. That's just me. A Hyperlite setup or double 1.1 seems like it would get me where I'd want to b e in terms of weight and volume. My question though is if I can cut some weight off what I already have by converting to whoopie slings adn how much weight would that be.

Hammock
    WBBB & Traveler,ENO
    Insulation
    HG.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have a HH Expedition too. I don't think the weight saving would be much. And it will not change the volume as all !
    I am looking in to getting a different hammock, at the top of my list is a Warbonnent Blackbird. And using the rainfly off my Hennessey for now.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Did you figure in the changes in insulation? It's not just tent vs hammock. It's system vs system. And comfort.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings

you won't save much weight by changing to

whoopies. I just got back from an overnight kayak campout. I use a HH Expedition with rings and carabiners. 8 other people used tents...from tarptents to "comfortable" brand name (pricey!) tents with the newest Neo-mattresses. We had perfect conditions on the island..mild breeze in the 60's-70's, no mosquitoes, dolphins surfacing nearby, etc. 8 out of 8 said they didn't get a good nights sleep. Most preferred the Hennessy. YMMV.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Standard
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    WS & Toggle
    I have the same hammock and have trimmed off 15 oz by:

-converting to whoopie slings (Mine had the older "fat" ropes)
    -lighter tree straps made from Harbor Freight tie down straps
    -removing the side tie-out cord
    -removing bug screen (it was damaged anyway)

Still not as light as HH UL or HL.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The stock HH line alone, per side weighs 62 grams. The completed whoopie sling, 13' of Amsteel, weighs 17 grams.

That's a savings of 90 grams total for the hammock with full slings.

The biggest benefit to me is that the amsteel basically disappears in the bag. The stock line is very bulky and brittle in comparison.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Weight and bulk is a apple/orange comparison between the two, factor in comfort and it is a apple/turd comparison.
    I wish I would have had a hammock for all my bike tours, many of the state parks up here designate the hiker/biker sites to a root wad infested jungle with no bare ground. Twice I put up a tent in the middle of a trail, as it was the only flat un-forested spot. There were too many perfect hammock trees in the way for a tent.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY & WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    Weight and bulk is a apple/orange comparison between the two, factor in comfort and it is a apple/turd comparison.
    I wish I would have had a hammock for all my bike tours, many of the state parks up here designate the hiker/biker sites to a root wad infested jungle with no bare ground. Twice I put up a tent in the middle of a trail, as it was the only flat un-forested spot. There were too many perfect hammock trees in the way for a tent.
    You're right about some of the hiker/biker sites in Oregon. I stayed at Umpaqua Lighthouse, Bullards Beach, Humbug Mountain and Harris Beach. So many of those campgrounds and many others in Ca had PERFECT spots for hanging. I rode with another rider for a week who brought along an ENO hammock just for lounging and the whole time I was wishing that I had my HH. Especially in the morning when our tents were soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    The stock HH line alone, per side weighs 62 grams. The completed whoopie sling, 13' of Amsteel, weighs 17 grams.

That's a savings of 90 grams total for the hammock with full slings.

The biggest benefit to me is that the amsteel basically disappears in the bag. The stock line is very bulky and brittle in comparison.
    Awesome! That's the info I was looking for. I have the model with the bulky black ropes that's 8mm in diameter (did they change at some point?) so losing those seems like a decent reduction in volume. A 3 oz weight savings isn't bad either

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Did you figure in the changes in insulation? It's not just tent vs hammock. It's system vs system. And comfort.
    I considered it. For the tent I use a 10oz. POE inflatable air pad (2.5" and super comfy) that rolls up to the size of a 20oz waterbottle. For the hammock I figured I'd just use a standard blue foam pad (7.5oz) since it's cheap and durable (but also bulky, negating the volume savings of the hammock vs. tent)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast