WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Merritt and Lost Lakes, Cascades, WA state

My wife of 14 years, Michelle made her 3rd ever camping trip with me. She's a ground dweller, having tried a few gathered end and bridge hammocks in the from yard and on one winter overnight hang, she prefers her air mattress and one man tent. I got to swing in the trees next to her, and that made me happy.

We spent the night at Merritt lake after starting late and arriving at the trail head at 5pm. We set up camp in the twilight before dark and ate dinner in the dark. We woke in the frost covered morning and made our way to Lost Lake. In the past there was a fisherman's trail that cuts down to Lost Lake, but this past winter was hard on that trail, and now it's covered with fallen trees. It made for a challenging 1500 foot drop into the lake but the trip was with it! We spend 3-4 hours exploring the shoreline and catching fish. I'm getting the feel for fishing with the Tenkara rod and am finding it a good alternative to Light weight spinning tackle. I landed 3 nice cut throat trout on a black beetle floating fly. It was awesome to see how eager these fish were to gobble up that fly! I am able to catch as many fish as whom ever I'm with, so I figure it'll become my standard gear when traveling to mountain lakes. I can carry a Altoids full of flies and the rod for 1/4 of the weight of the spinning tackle.

I slept warm and comfortable at 32 or so degrees in my WB Traveller, Hammock Gear 3 season Phenix and 3 season Burrow. I did bring a a 2QzQ under quilt protector, but didn't deploy it. Great night noises, like owls and a bugling elk. I'm really digging the Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber 4 Season Tarp with Doors. I'm gonna use that this winter and see how it goes. I'm digging the "see throughidness".

Anyway, here the video.

Last edited by Buenos; 11-06-2011 at 09:55.
    Jose Diaz

• + New Posts