1.7 DBL WBBB
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Tarp Advise

I have always used a 10x10 ripstop tarp. I like that i can make just about any configuration that i want with it. However It is old and has alot of little pinholes in it, and i want to get something new and lighter. I Have been looking at the WB Superfly. I like that it has side pullouts, and removable doors.
    However I was wondering what yall thought
    being that im a noob to all the new materials and such

Thanks
    Ryan......
    May the road rise up to meet you May the wind be always at your back may the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hand

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The superfly is a great tarp but doesn't have the removable doors anymore

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    The superfly is made out of silnylon, which is simply 1.1 ripstop with a silicone impregnation to make it water proof. The end weight typically ends up being 1.35 - 1.4oz per sq. yard. The superfly is 11' ridge line x 10' width, and I believe 15' at the bottom edges which include the doors that come out further than the 11' ridge line. Its a great tarp, especially for 19oz and as full coverage as you would ever need for all weather types. Me personally, I prefer something smaller for about 9-10 months out of the year for midwest weather. I like my OES maccat standard hex tarp at 125" x 84".

If you're using a 10' x 10' 1.1 ripstop tarp, you will not save any weight by using the superfly, unless your current tarp is beefed up in ways I can't imagine.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    The Superfly is a great tarp. It is true it doesnt have removable doors anymore. They are integrated and the ends can be pulled in underneath and connected to tuck them out of the way. They are integrated in such a way that when folded to close the ends you won't lose footprint space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    1.7 DBL WBBB
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My current tarp is a Etowah, It weighs 1 lb 10.6 oz But It has more pinholes than i care to try to patch.
    Im not a big fan of large cat cuts. I thought about making my own tarp but im not that great with a sewing machine.

The more I look at the WB SF Im liking it more and more. I can deal with it not having removable doors.
    Thank you for all your help
    Ryan......
    Last edited by tattoo; 11-06-2011 at 23:34.
    May the road rise up to meet you May the wind be always at your back may the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hand

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoo View Post
    My current tarp is a Etowah, It weighs 1 lb 10.6 oz But It has more pinholes than i care to try to patch.
    Im not a big fan of large cat cuts. I thought about making my own tarp but im not that great with a sewing machine.

The more I look at the WB SF Im liking it more and more. I can deal with it not having removable doors.
    Thank you for all your help
    Ryan......
    If I recall the SF is billed at 20 oz. Just ordered a scale yesterday so I'll weigh mine and let ya know the actual weight with lines and all.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ- MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo, JRB MT 4
    Images
    If you want removable doors you could get the Bigmamajamba with a door kit.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoo View Post
    I have always used a 10x10 ripstop tarp. I like that i can make just about any configuration that i want with it. However It is old and has alot of little pinholes in it, and i want to get something new and lighter. I Have been looking at the WB Superfly. I like that it has side pullouts, and removable doors.
    However I was wondering what yall thought
    being that im a noob to all the new materials and such

Thanks
    Ryan......
    Have you looked at DP's HammockGear???
    http://www.dphammockgear.com/

they have a "hybrid carbon fiber tarp" that in my opinion is a really good idea. I liked it so well that I made my own version of it. Mine does not have the middle stake out points but is in a lovely teal color for the silnylon. If you're really looking at all the "newest" and lightest weight materials, give a look-see at this tarp.

I've been camping a few times now with my homemade hybrid carbon fiber tarp and it's working out really well. I like that the top of the tarp lets in so much light but the sides are dark. I was able to change clothes under it just fine without thinking I was flashing anyone Also, the carbon fiber is loud when rain hits it but since I actually like that sound, I just fell asleep anyways. With half the tarp being silnylon, it's not as loud as a full carbon fiber tarp would be. (I made my tarp with an 11 foot ridgeline which for me, is the "just right" length that a tarps' ridgeline should be).

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Have you considered a Cuben tarp from either Hammock Gear or Z-Packs. Just a thought if your really trying to go as light as possible IMHO cuben is the way to go. Also dont forget about the Grizz Beaks. They allow you to put doors on any tarp you order. You can order them from 2QZQ website.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    I'm waiting for my new cuben tarp from zpacks! http://zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast