WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I am in the same boat as you theriddler...right down to the shoestring college budget.

I am short, 5' 6", 140 lb's when my shoestring budget allows something other than ramen noodles lol.

I am not sure how tall you are, or really sure if this would be sufficient, (Noob, trying to figure out UQ situation with shoestring budget) but here are my most recent thoughts on the topic.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/flamethrowergear.htm and other 3/4's similar in rating and price, is a 3/4 UQ for $175 @ 14oz. Description says 30 and a bit farther for some users. Wonder if this may be a viable option? Now at first I thought, well I don't want parts of my body sticking out exposed to cold. But then I thought further, with a diagonal lay and a small pillow, wouldn't the length of the 3/4 be sufficient enough to cover a short guy such as myself provided the width is a bit wider...? I know you mentioned 20's, but I feel like with a cheap poncho liner for $6 you can reach that 20 degree mark....Whaddya think? Anyone know if this would work?
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post

is a 3/4 UQ for $175 @ 14oz. Description says 30 and a bit farther for some users. Wonder if this may be a viable option? Now at first I thought, well I don't want parts of my body sticking out exposed to cold. But then I thought further, with a diagonal lay and a small pillow, wouldn't the length of the 3/4 be sufficient enough to cover a short guy such as myself provided the width is a bit wider...? I know you mentioned 20's, but I feel like with a cheap poncho liner for $6 you can reach that 20 degree mark....Whaddya think? Anyone know if this would work?
    First, I want to know where you found a poncho liner for $6 The cheapest I've found them is used for $16 and I thought that was real cheap.

check out Leigh's quilts, she has a 48" length 20 degree quilt for $150

With a shorter quilt, you will be needing to put a small pad under your feet and use something under your head. Or just move up to a 60" length and probably only need something under your head.

Adding more layers under your hammock does lower the temps that you'll be comfortable in. You just have to be carefull when you add these layers that you don't end up squishing the other layers. It's really a matter of testing and testing and testing!! Also adding more layers also adds more weight which depending on the situation might not be something that you can do. Everyone is different and everyone needs to figure out what will and will not work for them. Again, that's where testing comes into play

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I bought a Lot of (5) poncho liners on eBay for $50, so $10 each. They were in great condition. I also found one at a yard sale for $1. That was really sweet.

pardon the ignorance but im guessing a poncho liner isnt just a poncho? i may try just laying my poncho in my hammock this weekend, assuming it functions as a vapor barrier

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    CF
    Insulation
    GLP 3/4 special
    Suspension
    DG whoops/huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by theriddler View Post
    ...pardon the ignorance...
    Did that a long time ago

But seriously, that Lost River quilt I let Zod borrow last weekend was not very expensive at all. Look in to those. He said it did real well for him.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

Poncho Liners

I bought a Lot of (5) poncho liners on eBay for $50, so $10 each. They were in great condition. I also found one at a yard sale for $1. That was really sweet.
    These poncho liners are fairly cheap on Ebay as I was just checking them out, but how much additional warmth are you going to get out of one of those? They look pretty thin.

PS I think we should get with the lingo and start calling these "woobies" simply because it's so much more fun to say.

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Keep in mind all of this depends on what you are wearing and if you sleep cold or hot....along with what is being used as a top quilt.

This has been our experience.

45 is a decent temp with whoopies aka poncho liner, add a hammock sock (easy, inexpensive diy project) now gets you to about 40 degrees and sometimes better (especially when wind is blowing). Pin to your whoopie (poncho liner) one of those down throws that go on sale this time of year and your down to 30/35. Make sure the down is placed between your hammock and poncho liner, not inside the folded over liner or the down will get smashed.

Keeping your feet, hands, and head really warm will help too (my son still doesn't get this factor...as if someone will see how uncool you look in a hat while in your hammock)

Quote Originally Posted by MrTiles View Post
    Did that a long time ago

But seriously, that Lost River quilt I let Zod borrow last weekend was not very expensive at all. Look in to those. He said it did real well for him.
    well to have such a small surface area, im sure it wasnt much of a problem to keep him insulated...for those of us who have broken the 5 ft mark...our heat dissipates.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Do like my brother in-law did. Have your brother in-law make on for you for your birthday and it won't cost you a dime.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast