Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Sorta old and new to this, and a few questions.

In 2001 I saw a Hennessy rigged at an outfitters, thought it was brilliant. Bought a Safari asym in 2002. Camped a few times, then took it across country. Thought it was unbeatable as a camping experience, I immediately chose spots I could never have camped on the ground. Greater privacy, views, options... I was in love.

We made the trip over the summer, and intended to meet a larger gathering in Wasatch-Cache National Forest. My mom laughed when I packed a snow shovel. We were caught in a blizzard at 9000 feet. It was awful. Someone's cat froze to death, I ironically lost my shovel in the snowstorm.... I spent the first part of the night using blowpipes to keep our fire going while we tried to dry wet wood for use later.

I had no winter gear for my hammock. I'm not even sure it was available then. I intended to go to ground with a friend, but short shelter supplies meant other people doubled up, and I still had a shelter, so I hung my asym. Pitched my fly low (by the way you have flies with doors now? How awesome is that?). I put on all my clothing and got into a sleeping bag inside it. I had an emergency blanket and four handwarmer packs. Should have put the emergency blanket on the outside, instead wrestled with it under my sleeper. Shouldn't have slept with handwarmers on my feet and hands, but I didn't see much else for a choice. When I got cold enough I peed in a bottle, which I cuddled until it was not worth doing so and I threw it out. Not the best night's sleep, but I didn't get frostbite.

The rest of the trip was comparatively uneventful. Many more delightful hangs. That night left me wondering how to improve extreme hangs like that. I wouldn't have done it that way again if I had a choice.

Oddly enough, I fared far better than many. Grounders had wet blankets, condensation problems due to the conditions and their tents. Many retreated to their cars if they could, running down the gas to stay warm, ending up without any gas in the morning. I hiked back to a still-full tank had to fetch supplies for everyone else. Other hangs I've had with grounders have put me in similar conditions, I've had to help dry a lot of their wet gear when sites flooded.

I am -astounded- at how far the community and hammock camping itself has come. I came here for a few tips on better rigging and better answers to sleeping two, and I'm blown away by the peapod systems, reflectors, underquilts, flies with doors, separate ridge lines, mods, alternative materials, it's a lot to take in.

I'm in the process of rethinking my approach to my gear entirely, as my situation has changed. I'll can tell I'll be going down this rabbit hole farther than I originally expected.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Welcome from South Carolina! Sounds like one of those horrible experiences that your happy to have had, if for no other reason the things you've learned. Imagin it again with under quilt, top quilt, window reflector and the accumulated experience of the gurus around here! It's amazing how many ground dwellers make lite of us as we pitch camp and have intelligent questions to ask us the next day! So far everyone I've camped with is at the very least checking into buying a hammock now.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome, Joe. You bring fresh eyes but a wealth of experience. That combination could yield many insights. Keep us posted.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    BTDT. If you hang around you will find there is a steady trickle of ideas offered up as folks experiment and new materials appear. Of course, the latest one is cotton. ;-)

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    welcome from mn! as you'll find out, if there is a thought you have of "hangin' your own hang", someone here has thought of it or done it. a plethora of knowledge. did i say "plethora"? have you met "THE Shug" yet?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada! One heck of a bad weather experience.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Always good to reflect on the progress and changes over time. Welcome to the forum.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Welcome to you hammock home. There is lots of info here to be had. Glad your first experience was good considering the cold start.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Joe:
    Welcome to HF from Bama............that is one heck of a story, please keep them coming and good luck in your serach.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast