In 2001 I saw a Hennessy rigged at an outfitters, thought it was brilliant. Bought a Safari asym in 2002. Camped a few times, then took it across country. Thought it was unbeatable as a camping experience, I immediately chose spots I could never have camped on the ground. Greater privacy, views, options... I was in love.

We made the trip over the summer, and intended to meet a larger gathering in Wasatch-Cache National Forest. My mom laughed when I packed a snow shovel. We were caught in a blizzard at 9000 feet. It was awful. Someone's cat froze to death, I ironically lost my shovel in the snowstorm.... I spent the first part of the night using blowpipes to keep our fire going while we tried to dry wet wood for use later.

I had no winter gear for my hammock. I'm not even sure it was available then. I intended to go to ground with a friend, but short shelter supplies meant other people doubled up, and I still had a shelter, so I hung my asym. Pitched my fly low (by the way you have flies with doors now? How awesome is that?). I put on all my clothing and got into a sleeping bag inside it. I had an emergency blanket and four handwarmer packs. Should have put the emergency blanket on the outside, instead wrestled with it under my sleeper. Shouldn't have slept with handwarmers on my feet and hands, but I didn't see much else for a choice. When I got cold enough I peed in a bottle, which I cuddled until it was not worth doing so and I threw it out. Not the best night's sleep, but I didn't get frostbite.

The rest of the trip was comparatively uneventful. Many more delightful hangs. That night left me wondering how to improve extreme hangs like that. I wouldn't have done it that way again if I had a choice.

Oddly enough, I fared far better than many. Grounders had wet blankets, condensation problems due to the conditions and their tents. Many retreated to their cars if they could, running down the gas to stay warm, ending up without any gas in the morning. I hiked back to a still-full tank had to fetch supplies for everyone else. Other hangs I've had with grounders have put me in similar conditions, I've had to help dry a lot of their wet gear when sites flooded.

I am -astounded- at how far the community and hammock camping itself has come. I came here for a few tips on better rigging and better answers to sleeping two, and I'm blown away by the peapod systems, reflectors, underquilts, flies with doors, separate ridge lines, mods, alternative materials, it's a lot to take in.

I'm in the process of rethinking my approach to my gear entirely, as my situation has changed. I'll can tell I'll be going down this rabbit hole farther than I originally expected.