Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Yup and it is a camping system with a pretty steep learning curve. UQs, TQs, Tarps, SRLs, suspension systems for both hammock and tarps (even hang angles), different options for pads, and the challenge of places with no trees etc etc. Your average outdoorsman is not going to want to fuss with it when they can just grab a pad, bag, and tent/tarp. A smart REI store would have a full kit (hammock, TQ, UQ, tarp) for their hammocks and some training material with the HF address on it.
    That is pretty much my take of it. I'm sure REI is getting hit as hard as any other retailer and they may be getting leaner and meaner. It looks like they are dropping GoLite products as well-- only four packs left on their web site and those are on clearance.

With all the outdoor equipment manufactured and sold in Seattle, there isn't one store with a hammock on display as used, and you can't buy anything other than a basic hammock or some tree straps-- you can't buy insulation or tarps or bug screens anywhere. The "Flagship" REI store has a handful of Hennessy hammocks and some ENO's. I noticed that the Outdoor Research company store had a ENO rack the last time I was there, but hammock bodies only--- no other accessories. I doubt there aren't more than a couple sales people in the region who know anything about hammock camping, let alone actually using one on a regular basis.

With the Internet and all the shipping options, a cottage maker can live wherever they like and have no middlemen and better overhead costs. It takes a lot of cash and inventory to take on large retail chains. People think that having a product manufactured offshore is cheap and easy, but it isn't and you need to be tough on quality control and the possibility of counterfeiting. The offshore factories can take you to the cleaners if you aren't on them 110%.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY in progress
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Could be a seasonal thing too
    That was REI response to my inquiry E-mail

Thank you for the inquiry regarding the Hennessy Hammocks being offered from REI.

We currently offer only one model from Hennessy Hammocks, the Hennessy Hammock Ultralite Backpacker Asym Zip Hammock item #814263. Once we get back to the warmer time of the year, we do have quite a few more options.

Generally in March, is when we start to have more warmer items appearing in our stores and on the website as well.

If we can be of further assistance, please contact us.

REI Online Customer Service
    Its funny because ENO stuff is always available at REI online, regardless of the season

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    I bet you that too many people (like me) returned them because of CBS. It wasn't until after I did that, that I found this site and learned about using quilts.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    When I go to the REI website, I see 5 hammocks and the hex fly. The UL backpacker is the only zip model, but they have the others in classic entry.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123