Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enoorange View Post
    On my multi-day backpacking trips in bear country I have started carrying Bear Spray. "Those in the know" tell me this is MUCH more effective in managing bears than a gun.

"When" I do carry a firearm it is to deter to humans, not 4 legged animals. seriously. Especially when backpacking/hanging in potentially drug cultivating areas of the backwoods.
    I usually carry ten small 10mm canisters of bear spray encased in a compact polymer housing made by some Austrian company that rhymes with a large time piece. I sleep with it across my chest in the front pocket of my puffy jacket.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was thinking of hanging a retention holster from the ridgeline.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    No.. Really??? Protection from what? C'mon.. Unless you are taking your hammock with you on a hunting trip.. what for?
    Or are you expecting to wake up on the "Wrong side of the trail"

So I geuss thats a no for me.

Jerry

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I like the idea of a retention holster from the ridge line, depending on the way the holster operates, thinking a blackhawk serpa level 2 would fit the bill as it has a release mechanism that doesn't require you to "rock" the firearm. In my experience the glock 22 is to heavy to sit well in the blackbird shelf.

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danfromnb View Post
    Canadian here. If I, or most other people, were caught carrying a handgun that would be the end of camping for that weekend
    Same here in Germany. No one would want to have me around. Even though I like solo-hiking... I wouldn't want to be the crazy stranger on the trail. I'm talking about european people and european trails, no offense intended.

So, if I had the permission to carry a gun and the necessity to have one around with me inside of the hammock, I'd sew a ridgeline holster, pointing the gun upwards (not at me and not at my fellow hikers) with 1 or 2 buttons for easy access. A prussik would help fixing the position on the ridgeline. But then there is the question how fast one could draw it out of the ridgeline holster and also if I'd have any chance to defend myself hanging in my hammock if an aggressor attacks with a knife poking it through my underquilt. And for bears -- we don't have bears here, besides I'd think bearspray would be a much better choice.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Ahh, Trinni, you bring up a good point. No pun intended. Time to make a Kevlar UQ/TQ(with holster) to spice up the hammock and provide needed storage and protection.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Clo-z-nuff View Post
    Glock 19 (9mm) for me. I also put it in my Warbonnet shelf.
    Same here.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Springfield XD .45 tactical - 5.5 inch and about as heavy as it gets with the 13+1 mag (only stating for weight comparison) hangs suspended from my ridge line in a suspension holster just fine. I flipped the holster and s - biner it through a piece of 550 cord drilled for the occasion. Push it up the ridge line so I don't bump my head on it and I'm good to go.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    40 sw on my hip I will sometimes put on shelf of black bird but if I need to do a quick exit want it on my person.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Do you guys stay awake all night? How do you know that your WBBB shelf is not being invaded by a bad guy while you are asleep?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbogg View Post
    I put my Ruger GP-100 in a holster on my ridgeline when soloing or out with Littlebogg. We had some two legged predators invade our camp in May and found a big surprise waiting for them. They were some local guys that for some reason thought they owned the local area. We exchanged kind words and showed each others our firearms. They left we broke camp and moved on down the way and didn’t see them the rest of the trip. We had no run-ins with the wild life.

Bigbogg
    Most of us by far will go through life with out encountering two legged invaders in our camp like Bigbogg did. But things like that do happen from time to time.
    If I have the misfortune of being in a camp that someone with bad intentions invades, my thinking is kinda like what DavyRay seams to be thinking.

If by chance someone was able to walk up to my hammock while I was still sound asleep, I'd rather not have my gun exposed to them, not even behind a layer of bug net.

Nothing against that, I just like the idea of having the weapon more protected yet with in easy reach for me.
    For now I'm sleeping with the Kel-Tec P11 (9mm) in a leather side holster while I sleep (when camping).

But I've give thought to another idea.
    It would be a folded ccf pad that would have the holstered pistol inside it at night.
    It would double as a sit pad & possibly as a stiffener for a backpack. But when sleeping it would serve as part of my knee pillow. I have thought I might have a ripstop, nylon sleeve (or stuff sack) I would but it in for knee pillow mode & add one of the light weight, blow up pillows to add a little thickness.

The gun would be unexposed & yet with in fairly easy reach, whether I'm sleeping on my side or my back.

Just throwing this idea out there in case someone else might like it & want to improve on it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast