Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That part of the OP's question is outside of the bounds of hammock-related discourse.
    I think this is debatable. Caliber=weight and form (design). This has direct bearing on how and where you can/should store your firearm, should you choose to CCW while backpacking/hammocking. This is also DIRECTLY relevant wrt storage and safety. As a certified Range Safety Officer (RSO) muzzle discipline is one of the cardinal rules, "keep your firearm pointed in a SAFE direction". Muzzle heavy firearms (due to design and/or caliber) can force individuals to store their firearms in an "unsafe" manner; with the muzzle pointed at themselves or others.

Case in point. Dutch's input regarding the peak bag immediately brings to mind how that would be fine for a "frame heavy" firearm, because the weight generally falls "backwards" from centerline. Knowing a .38 special revolver is most often "center - front heavy", that method of storage is probably on the "unsafe" end of the spectrum...as it pertains to hammocking and storage within said hammock.

Most .40 cal's small framed pistols are also extremely "frame heavy" due to the magazine to frame weight ratio. I have a shallow ridgeline organizer. This is most definitely a BAD way to store my particular firearms, as they tend to fall over and out of the pockets...which makes for a serious and potentially dangerous situation for myself and others.

I think we need to be a little more open minded about how topic issues both directly and indirectly relate to hammocking...especially where personal and public safety are prime considerations. Perhaps it's best to let the forum members have some latitude in self-moderating and determining what IS and IS NOT relevant. It seems to work well here...vis-a-vis "What Would Google Do".

-Mickey.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I carry a ruger p345 and/or a can of bear mace. Depends if I'm with friends, Scouts or Family and what type of country I'm hiking.

I leave the 45 in my holster and clip onto my ridgeline overhead.
    I usually tuck the mace in my bishop bag above my head.

I've never had encounters (other than from respectful distances) with bears. I have had a couple with wolves though and both times with my family and both times without any protection. They were skittish enough to leave us be but as a father, I was not OK with being in those situations without any means to protect my little ones.

Like db144 said, I'd rather have it but never use it. Besides, y'all know you're gonna wish you had your mace when some shifty eye'd guy impersonating Karl from Sling Blade comes around the corner. Or even worse, one of those crazies wearing a kilt.

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    HG cuban
    Insulation
    Baby Orca UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the input...I have always been a carry person, Glock 23, just seemed there was never a good place to have it in a gathered end hammock...having it in my side was uncomfortable, having it in the pack, well, what's the point if you can't access it quickly in a desperate situation. hang it off the ridgeline?? not for me...just wondering what others do...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey.223 View Post
    I think this is debatable.
    Please don't drag this further off-topic.

Stowing a firearm in a hammock is relevant. The larger issues of weight, caliber, safety, etc are simply too involved for a a General Hammock Talk discussion. But it has been covered exhaustively in the Off-Topic forums.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Not everyone who might read this has access to that section. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. And I see the courtesy shown in my replies is not returned. Noted for furture interactions...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Polarpod / UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/rings
    I keep my glock 26 in the stuff sack on the side of my eno

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Please respect what Angrysparrow has posted. It's a tough enough job to find balance in allowing talk on the basics of this subject & drawing lines between the areas of discussion were debate, bragging, politics, etc come into play.
    It's not up for debate. If you really feel the need to express your concerns about the way HF moderation is done, it would be best to do so by PM with a mod. But moderation decisions are still not "up for debate". We will try to give some further understanding if needed, but HF members who refuse to understand our position & show disregard will be asked to take their arguments elsewhere.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey.223 View Post
    Not everyone who might read this has access to that section. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. And I see the courtesy shown in my replies is not returned. Noted for furture interactions...
    The subject of this forum is "Hammocks". An area has been provided for off topic discussions & it is available to anyone who cares to take advantage of it by becoming a "Donating Member".
    Even there, limitations have to be made in order to keep this a peaceful & friendly site.

For those that choose not to become Donating Members, that's no problem what so ever, but please remember that the main focus here is hammocks & guide lines have been decided on for both Donating Member areas & non-Donating Member areas & they are posted in the TOS.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Please respect what Angrysparrow has posted. It's a tough enough job to find balance in allowing talk on the basics of this subject & drawing lines between the areas of discussion were debate, bragging, politics, etc come into play.
    It's not up for debate. If you really feel the need to express your concerns about the way HF moderation is done, it would be best to do so by PM with a mod. But moderation decisions are still not "up for debate". We will try to give some further understanding if needed, but HF members who refuse to understand our position & show disregard will be asked to take their arguments elsewhere.
    slowhike. I do and continue to respect the job that the moderators perform. I was unaware that moderator's views were "not up for debate"...however, I feel that I was courteous in my replies (with exception of the last)...as I am with EVERY person here on this forum. I simply ask for the same in return; even when someone is executing moderator duties. Point regarding debates and reasons is now noted for future reference. I more than welcome any further offline discussion with anyone regarding this, or any other topic not deemed appropriate for general forum posting.

-Mickey

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Glock 26. In pocket at head end. Nothing further.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast