Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Thx O&B - Don't really need a peak bag. I think I can add a small loop of zing-it to nose end of holster. then prussic a piece of zing-it on RL head end with mitten hook on end. Then clip mitten hook to loop of line on holster
    I think I'm going to try something along those lines as well. I like the idea of just reaching up and pulling towards me versus digging around for it.

@ OP,
    In my wbbb i use the shelf however my shelf is also stuffed with tons of stuff to get me thru the night so it's not the optimum location but way better than in your pack out of reach.

In my Switchback I've used the netted pouch at the head end of the hammock. This has worked better but not perfect. The holster likes to snag when removing it.

I plan to experiment with tethering the holster from from the peak bag loop and will post a photo if it looks like it will work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Who makes that pillow thing that hangs from a hook? I might make one like that, that folds open, and close with Velcro. I could put a strip of 1.5" webbing so I could use any retention holster. It would be padded and out of the way, just reach up inside. I would like to email the company with a prototype pic, and make sure they are ok with making it.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ

Kel Tec P32

I used to carry a Kel Tec P32 - only 9 oz (loaded) and stored it on my WBBB shelf. But, after a few trips...well, it was 9 oz. Plus, the caliber was pretty small. No longer carry it.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Thx O&B - Don't really need a peak bag. I think I can add a small loop of zing-it to nose end of holster. then prussic a piece of zing-it on RL head end with mitten hook on end. Then clip mitten hook to loop of line on holster
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I think I'm going to try something along those lines as well. I like the idea of just reaching up and pulling towards me versus digging around for it.

@ OP,
    In my wbbb i use the shelf however my shelf is also stuffed with tons of stuff to get me thru the night so it's not the optimum location but way better than in your pack out of reach.

In my Switchback I've used the netted pouch at the head end of the hammock. This has worked better but not perfect. The holster likes to snag when removing it.

I plan to experiment with tethering the holster from from the peak bag loop and will post a photo if it looks like it will work.
    Just me maybe, but I would think having it in a holster that covers the trigger would be a good idea for safety, weather laying in a shelf or hanging but down from the hammock peak.
    A kydex holster is pretty light & can be adjusted to have the right amount of retention to hold secure yet let you draw with no problem.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Just me maybe, but I would think having it in a holster that covers the trigger would be a good idea for safety, weather laying in a shelf or hanging but down from the hammock peak.
    A kydex holster is pretty light & can be adjusted to have the right amount of retention to hold secure yet let you draw with no problem.
    I agree, trigger cover is very important.
    I don't have a kydex holster that probably would be a better solution.
    Here's what I came up with.

When laying in the hammock the holster is high enough I don't seem to bump into it at all.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Outback ... how secure/snug is the holster holding the pistol?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Outback ... how secure/snug is the holster holding the pistol?
    It is a friction fit. Having a holster with a strap or the kydex (adjustable friction) would probably be safer.
    Just experimenting with what I have for now.
    If the idea pans out I'll probably purchase a different holster for hiking/hanging.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    It is a friction fit. Having a holster with a strap or the kydex (adjustable friction) would probably be safer.
    Just experimenting with what I have for now.
    If the idea pans out I'll probably purchase a different holster for hiking/hanging.
    Looks good ... just be careful ... a well "aimed" tactical light put a nice little goose egg on my noggin from a peak bag!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks good ... just be careful ... a well "aimed" tactical light put a nice little goose egg on my noggin from a peak bag!

Nice thing about this approach is that if the right amount of retention is found, the gun will be secure, but it can be pulled free with one hand.

Just another note in case anyone might miss it. attaching something like this to the side of a gathered end hammock would probably still require two hands to draw the gun (one on gun & one to hold the holster).
    But attaching it to a solid point like the end of a gathered end or one of the pole attachment points on a bridge, will hold the holster securely in place for a one hand draw.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Thank you pointing out possible issues and concerns.
    The best way we can get to a good design / idea is thinking thru all the "what could go wrong" and trying to come up with a solution.

Firearm safety in the hammock is an excellent topic and I hope it is on track with the OP's original question.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast