Hammock
    HB NoSeeUmNoMore
    Tarp
    Chinook12x9.5
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies+webbing
    Keltec P-11 w/ intergral belt clip hung on the ridgeline at the foot end, stowed in the Hammock Bliss No-See-Um storage pockets or in the intergral stuff sack. All locations had their +'s and -'s. My favorite has to be the stuff sack located at the hammock mid point as it requires less overall movement to retrieve.

Hammock
    Eno double nest
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS
    I just tie some para cord to my holster, then to my suspension above my head (barrel pointed toward the tree), I tend to sleep with one hand behind my head anyway, So its just inches away when I need it..

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    My lcp stays in a fobus holster pretty well at 12 oclock on my person, hardly know it is there..
    Same thing with the glock 19 with the mic at 12 oclock.. many options out there....
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    My Noveske carbine pivots 360 degrees from its mount on my ridgeline, ready to defend my position from any avenue of approach. I just need to be sure to not shoot down my suspension...

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I carry when traveling the urban woods; not so much in the piney woods.
    I agree, I'm not worried about animals so much, just people. I have a pocket sewn on my hammock like a ENO has.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I'm not a fan of the RL holster.
    It would be a noggin cracker every time you got up and
    unless you could lock it in place, it would require a two hang draw.
    just my $0.02
    That's a valid 2 cents ... if you've ever hung anything with a bit of weight ... a ridge line isn't always that tight ... it's going to slide to the middle if it wasn't attached as in a fixed point to the ridge line. IMHO ...

... and I'd crack my noggin just as sure as can be!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    That's a valid 2 cents ... if you've ever hung anything with a bit of weight ... a ridge line isn't always that tight ... it's going to slide to the middle if it wasn't attached as in a fixed point to the ridge line. IMHO ...

... and I'd crack my noggin just as sure as can be!
    Uh yeah, me too...I put my camera in my hammock sock pocket and forgot. I reached out flipped the seep up and konked myself right in the head with it. If I'd been a gun I would have knocked myself out! I had a knot all day on my forehead and a bruise for a week!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Hippofeet
    the gun you are thinking about is the Thunder-Five...........talk about a boat anchor, thinkg weight close to 8 pounds loaded!!!!!!!!!! No way am I toting one of those things in the woods or would I ever hang it from a ridgeline.

I know everyone is discussing how to hang a gun from a ridgeline, noble idea, but would it not be better to have the pistol in a holster on your body????? I ask this because a chest holster, like the old .45 tanker/pilot holster, seems like a more viable less noticeable holster IMHO.
    Thank you. the thunder five!

from personal experience, a chest rig sucks. it's a problem with any sling or pack strap, and it sticks way out. Mine mounts on a PALS vest. Good for vehicle use, but my experience (admitedly little) was all negative. Of course, you wouldn't be sleeping on your stomach, so maybe viable for the topic.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetgang View Post
    I've installed a velcro patch on the side of my HH just below the mosquito net. I have a lightweight blackhawk IWB holster for my CZ-82 that has a velcro patch on it. At night I can take my holster and velcro it right exactly where I want it if need be. Honestly, I'm new to hammock life and have not put it into use in the field yet but I carry 100% of the time when not in the PROM even when backpacking.
    I like the idea of using Velcro to attach a pocket to hold a light and handgun (maybe a rear pocket for a Kindle or other book reader). My only concern with using Velcro would be whether or not it would support the weight of the handgun (Ruger GP-100, 6" barrel, Ruger Redhawk, 5.5" barrel, or a Glock Model 20 with aftermarket 6" barrel). A few years back I probably wouldn’t have carried, but now that is legal in Nation Parks and since I can’t out run my hiking partner any longer, it seems to be the prudent thing.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition & WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Armadillo View Post
    I like the idea of using Velcro to attach a pocket to hold a light and handgun (maybe a rear pocket for a Kindle or other book reader). My only concern with using Velcro would be whether or not it would support the weight of the handgun (Ruger GP-100, 6" barrel, Ruger Redhawk, 5.5" barrel, or a Glock Model 20 with aftermarket 6" barrel). A few years back I probably wouldn’t have carried, but now that is legal in Nation Parks and since I can’t out run my hiking partner any longer, it seems to be the prudent thing.
    There are different strengths of Velcro. If you get the heavy duty stuff, you should be fine with any of those weapons. I've used it on a chest rig for a SW 686 and separately a P226 and both did well under heavy use that most will never see.
    Last edited by Streetgang; 11-15-2011 at 20:03.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast