Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images

NX-250 without poles

Since it appears I will probably be keeping my 250 I might be looking for ways to trim weight off it on long trips. I'm also terribly disorganized and I'm always afraid of losing a pole. Have any of you tried setting it up without the poles using some sort of ridgeline or by using sticks instead of poles? If so how's that working for you?

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

It seems to me that finding acceptable sticks

would be a PITA. One would need to find thin, supple, smooth sticks to thread through the tunnels. I find that when I enter my 250 it causes the hoops to assume a tighter bow, so you would risk snapping a stick that was not "just right".

I sewed up a slender stuffsack out of orange material to store my hoop sections. Keeps 'em together and is easy to locate in the leaf litter when I drop them. Also has two sleeves so that I can pull out just the three pole sections I need at a particular end of the hammock.

Jim
    Last edited by Jsaults; 11-10-2011 at 17:09.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I haven't set up my camo NX-250 without the poles before, but I imagine it would give you something similar to the North American set-up. What I have done is modify my poles to make them pack smaller and prevent "individual pole loss".

What I did was order an extra set of replacement poles from Clark. Then, I cut them in half and "re-assembled" the pole kits (for each hammock end) using the poles with the metal ferrule on each end. Next, I "encased" each set of poles into a piece of rope/cord that has a hollow core and a tightly-woven outer sheath (to prevent "pole poke-through").

This allows me to keep my poles all together and pack much smaller. I'll try and get some pics up when I get a chance, since I can imagine what I'm describing doesn't make much sense. Once you see the pics, you'll get it! In the mean time, you could try searching the Clark forums here...I've posted about my modifications in better detail here before, but can't remember which threads now.

I REALLY wish Clark would start making their poles shock-corded or something, and about half the current length for easier packing/compactness. It would make DIY modifications like mine unnecessary.

Don't give up on that 250! It's a real beaut of a hammock once you make a few minor tweaks! If I had the extra money, I'd buy it off you in a heartbeat! I could always use a spare camo NX-250!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    If you take some extra thin cord or string or whatnot,there are some tie up points on the 250 where you can hang it more similar to the north American, connecting a line to the tree or to your tarp suspension.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    Making the poles shorter would be convenient from size, but they would be much more stiff at that length, and woould be more likely to break, or need to be reduced in strength to work.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The hammock doesn't work for me without the spreaders. Must be heavily psychological that you can see it; you can stick an elbow or knee out and create the same space w/o difficulty. But, it isn't the same.

Find http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33974 on the Harbor Freight source for pre-assembled shorter rods. That's what I pack.

Or go to a DIY kite place or hobby store that takes care of kite builders with fiberglass rods, tubes, and ferrules.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    3 days “In-school”
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    The hammock doesn't work for me without the spreaders. Must be heavily psychological that you can see it; you can stick an elbow or knee out and create the same space w/o difficulty. But, it isn't the same.

Find http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33974 on the Harbor Freight source for pre-assembled shorter rods. That's what I pack.

Or go to a DIY kite place or hobby store that takes care of kite builders with fiberglass rods, tubes, and ferrules.
    did you tie up the bug screen and weather shield somehow?

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    There are small tabs near where the spreader bars go where you could tie string or cord to hold it up or possibly make a ridge line

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    There are small tabs near where the spreader bars go where you could tie string or cord to hold it up or possibly make a ridge line
    I was thinking to shock chord (probably just the head end) out to the tarp stakes from the tabs where the spreader bars go and then another piece of shock chord from the upper pole loop to the tarp ridgeline.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    Making the poles shorter would be convenient from size, but they would be much more stiff at that length, and woould be more likely to break, or need to be reduced in strength to work.

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. I've got experience backing me up, here.

I've been using my modified poles for some time now, and I haven't noticed any difference between mine and the original-sized poles...and believe me, I've put some stress on them to see how much they could take (purposely and not purposely). No reduced strength and no additional stiffening whatsoever.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast