Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I use snakeskins on my tarp, and I roll it up with the lines in large loops and roll till at the top, slide skins over and done! Never had my lines tangle! I use zing it/lash it!

The lightest line that I feel would be no-tangle would be the 1.25 z-line from Z-Packs!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S-4Door
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Maybe Dutch can weigh in on this topic. I met him at the Grayson Highlands Hang back in Sept. He had this cool way of keeping his guylines tangle-free that involved a small strip of velcro he had sewn directly to the tarp at each of the connection points. I'm sure you'd rather get the details from him (and maybe some pics, too, Dutch).
    Scooter

In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Water Monkey did a short video on how he stows his lines....

http://watermonkey.net/2011/10/22/ta...es-take-downs/

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    +1 on figure 8. It's really quick to do. How about a small mesh pocket sewn on close to the connection point? It wouldn't really weigh all that much; it would be convenient and couldn't get lost; it would keep everything close at hand when it was time to deploy. Just a thought.
    This sounds interesting. Putting the pockets on the inside where possible to avoid getting junk in them. I guess Dutch's velcro does essentially the same thing.

Generally I just pack them loose when on the trail but figure 8 them when putting them away for a while.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    zing-it on my mega ogee with ten tie-outs and store it in snake skins.
    z-line on my small custom cuben with eight tie-outs, stored in a stuff sack.
    i do the figure-8 thing on the guy lines, but the ridgeline just gets wrapped around the stuffsack or the folded snake skins. that way i know where to start at next setup and can go straight to the tree with it.

I also have loops prussiked to my guylines and I think they tend to be responsible for any tangling that occurs if I'm not careful. To prevent tangles, I slide the prussics right up to the tarp and then hank my guy lines like water monkey does in his video. This works really well with the 1.75mm Zing-It.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    +1 on various methods previously mentioned...

I use mesh snakeskins for tarp storage and Zing-it for ridgeline & guylines; I do not disconnect the ridgeline or guylines from the tarp, so it is always ready to be set up very quickly...

While out 'on the trail' I simply throw one end set of guylines onto the tarp and roll them up in the tarp (I haven't had any tangling problems with Zing-it for the relatively short lengths for guylines, plus my prusiks are larksheaded to the tarp while the guylines closed-end loops goes on the stakes), then pull that half snakeskin 'most' of the way up over the tarp; repeat for other end and finish overlapping the skins... The tarp ridgeline is then taken down and the snakeskinned tarp is folded roughly in half but with ~18" offset at the ends... From the near-midpoint the snakeskinned tarp is then folded up; upon reaching the shorter end, that ridgeline is wrapped around the bundle; the longer end is then folded over and that ridgeline is wrapped around the bundle (the snakeskin ends 'offset' keeps each end of the RL from possibly tangling with each other)...

For 'long-term' storage (after tarp has been hung, cleaned, & dry) I sometimes use the 'figure-8' method for all the tarp lines, but sometimes only figure-8 the RL ends... The tarp is stored in the snakeskins but each end of the RL goes into a storage pocket on the snakeskins ends (on the trail I find it much faster & easier to not use those pockets - hey, it works for me! )...
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Zpacks "Z-line" is my absolute favorite - The stuff has almost a memory to it - it's crazy easy to knot and un-knot.

I cut a length that spans from fingertip to fingertip when I spread my arms out.

Then I add line-locks to the center, and a dutch hook at the end of each.

This lets me remove my guy-lines completely - since I use a poncho tarp - this is essential. Using this method I never need to un-tie them. Just hook the dutch hook to the tarp tie out loops, and run the z-line loop around my stakes and tighten.

When they're all removed I hold them by the dutch hooks all together and wrap them into one giant knot and roll up the excess. Works wonderfully.

I'm working on a big review (not "preview" like I normally do) for the poncho tarp and how I set it up. It'll include possibly pictures, but at the very least a video demonstrating all of this. I'll try to toss a picture up on this thread about the guy-line system.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Pictures:

Even though the final product doesn't look super neat-n-tidy, it all comes undone extremely easily thanks to the Z-line, tangle free (except when the dutch hooks get caught onto something - but I've gotten used to checking to make sure they're unhooked before I unroll/untie the guy-lines).
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast