Whoopies

DIY down Underquilt with fitted shell

SPECS:

~40" finished width at head
    ~29" finished width at foot
    ~72" finished length
    ~15 oz of 800FP WR down
    Weight: to be determined
    2.5" baffle walls with 1/4" seam allowance on each side, giving me a finished baffle wall height of 2"
    2" differential between inner shell chamber width and outer shell chamber width (inner shell has 4" chamber width, outer shell has 6" width)
    I used 1/4" seam allowances everywhere
    Inner shell: charcoal gray Membrane10
    Outer shell: Blue & White HyperD 1.0

So after much learning and conversation in this thread about shaping baffles to make an UQ "fit" the underside of the hammock, I determined it was more beneficial to actually shape the inner and outer shells instead. Then one does not have to worry about using or sewing curved baffle material. So, I went back and researched old threads, looked at lots of pictures, looked at clothes I have, read sewing blogs, etc. to learn more about pleats and darts and how to make a 2d piece of fabric into a 3-d type shape. Not sure if I actually succeeded in doing that. I did, however, make a pretty sweet UQ that fits my hammock like a glove.

I went through 3 different prototypes of the inner shell before I decided on my plans. For my prototypes, I sewed up inner liner designs I thought would work and added channels to the side, some shock cord and strung it up to the hammock. I would then test the fit with someone inside the hammock and make adjustments with pins or clips, take it off and sew it up again. I wanted a full length quilt that would not have so much "wasted quilt"- quilt that came up so far on the sides of me that it seemed to be a waste of material. My other DIY quilts were like this, so I measured and cut and sewed. The end result was this design:
    Inner Shell:
    B&WUQ Inner Shell.jpg
    Outer Shell:
    B&WUQ bottom shell.jpg

As you can see, the only real difference from other shaped quilts I came up with was to taper my darts well into the quilt, towards the end of where I wanted the dart to end. I had my darts taper over the course of two inches on the foot end and 4 inches on the head end. I thought this would give a more aggressive "lift" to that portion of the UQ, which I believe it does. If I were to do it again, I would just do 4 inche tapers on both ends, as I think the transition would look nicer. You can definitely see in the quilt where the taper is on the foot end, but the head end is a much smoother transition. I could not tell it would be like this when prototyping, as I only prototyped the inner shell, and it looked ok, but when finished you can tell where the taper is easily.
    When sewing these darts, I had the fabric folded over on the midline of the dart. I used a light behind my fabric to line up the chalk lines to sew.
    IMG_20150707_152202590.jpg
    Now when I came to end of a dart, instead of just ending there, I continued the stitch line down the rest of the way down the shell, sewing very close to edge of the folded fabric, like 1/8" or less even. Why? I don't know, maybe cause I thought it would further shape the quilt, and also I think this is how Hammock gear does their quilts (you can clearly see a stitch line down the center of each of the baffle chambers on those quilts). And I think it looks cool and added an extra challenge.

Now, I wanted a blue UQ with white racing stripes, so I achieved this by dividing the outer shell into 5 panels, the first, third and fifth panels were cut with blue HyperD 1.0 and the second and fourth panels were cut out of white HyperD 1.0. Each panel would be joined on a baffle line, so I stitched all three layers at once: Baffle, blue hyperD, white Hyper D:
    IMG_20150711_225856678.jpg
    Then I flipped the baffle over and ran a second row of stitching in the seam allowance for extra strength and to orient the baffle vertically. Necessary? Probably not. But what the hey.
    IMG_20150711_230623178_HDR.jpg
    Then I attached both shells together in the usual fashion for an UQ, bound the edges with straight grain binding tape I made from white HyperD 1.0. Here is the finished shell before filling:
    IMG_20150713_113449181.jpg
    IMG_20150713_113506175.jpg
    I used linelocs on all 4 corners and added some 3/8" plastic triangles on grossgrain every 12" on the inside of the quilt. I strung shock cord along these and hook pack hooks on my hammock to them to open up the hammock when I pull the quilt open.
    IMG_20150716_144716323.jpg
    I filled it with ~15 oz of 800 FP water resistant down, including the two draft collars. This thing lofts about 4 inches and should keep me very warm!!!
    IMG_20150714_134905785.jpg
    IMG_20150714_135006235.jpg
    IMG_20150716_144145877_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150716_152913567.jpg
    IMG_20150716_152931902.jpg

Prelim testing has shown it to be very effective at giving me quilt where I need quilt and fitting tight against me in my hammock. I am very happy with how it turned out. The HyperD looks amazing, and the Membrane10 is awesome fabric. I can't wait to finish my matching TQ, as the membrane10 has an awesome feel on the skin.

I gotta give a shout out to all the members here who have answered my questions, provided insights and ideas and shared their DIY in the past. I appreciate it, without HF, I would have never been able do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Unbelievable! !!! The quilt, the write up WOW! Prehaps the nicest quilt I have seen. Instead of me asking you questions on how to do it, can I just send the the fabric to you and pay you to do it?
    That is just awesome! Congratulations!
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Awesome job, can't wait to see it in action.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Nice job !!

Awesome job! Great information. Amazing quilt. Thank you for posting.

That thing looks like it will be a furnace. keep you nice and warm. You may never leave the hammock!

I notice you're from Michigan. I'll definitely recognize that quilt when I see it in the woods. I'll give you a bird call.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Great craftsmanship, unique design. Its always good to see a new design---and this one is a doozy.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Beautiful quilt! Love the alternating colors.

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    My hat's off to you - what a piece of work. Enjoy it!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Makes your hammock look fast. Now you just need a tarp with a spoiler. Great work.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Great job! I'd wear out a stitch puller trying to make something that good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast