Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a

Ridgline guidance

hey all,

love the forum, had a question about my rig, im a tenter but i recently aquired a HH backpacker (rainfly ot included) and i purchased a typhoon tarp from HH, do i need to install ridglines? will it prolong the use of my gear? or just ensure an even hang every time? and how would i find my size/attach it, i remember shug said his ridgeline was like 90+ inches? thanks in advance.
    Ears
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    RLs help you get a consistent hang each time. Typically folks start with their total ridgeline length and then start with 83% of that length. Play with it until you get the amount of sag that's right for you. As far as attaching them you could simply use a small-diameter line and create a whoopie sling so you can adjust it. Just larkshead it around your current suspension. Hope that helps.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    and i just put it over the bug netting? yes this helps lots. also which is found to be more hassle free hammock in snake skins or tarp? i have one pair, and was thinking about converting the hennessy bag into one with a hole in it to house one side of my suspension. but does the bag need to be water proof?

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I'm not familiar with the HH models however, if there is a way to get it under the bug net that would help support the netting and not have it so close to your face.

Snake skins - I only use them on my tarp but have bishop-style bags (the kind that come with a Warbonnet Blackbird) on my DIY hammocks and that helps with keeping things organized. I prefer the snake skins for my tarp as I set that up first and then take shelter underneath where it isn't as windy/rainy/crappy and can take my time with my hammock.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    thats what its called a bishop, i was thinking about a diy out of the sack my hammock already comes in but i dont know if a bishop bag has different qualities like being waterproof?

It has been a long time since I set up my Hennessy but I am pretty sure the RL is already instaled. The snake skins make it easy to set up and take down the hammock. Just make sure when you get off the trail or back from camping to take the hammock out of the snake skins to make sure it is completely dry before storing.. For the tarp I would go with tarp skins, which are like snake skins but made out of netting material so you don't have to worry about packing it up wet but when stoing unpack and completely dry the tarp.
    For a quick set up you cand get rid of the stock suspension and add a strap and buckle setup like what's on a Warbonnet and use a bishop bag for the hammock.. Use the snake skins on the tarp.. Easy quick and clean.
    I hope my rambling has help but now I think I am confused.

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    no it has, deffinitely has, my hammock has whoopie slings on it, so i was thinking about poking a hole in the current bag and make my own bishop, i think i can do that.

this is the tarp i have, just found pics of it in this thread. how would i store the doors? right now i have one set of skins and misc bags, dunno how to pack em.
    thanks

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ears View Post
    hey all,

love the forum, had a question about my rig, im a tenter but i recently aquired a HH backpacker (rainfly ot included) and i purchased a typhoon tarp from HH, do i need to install ridglines? will it prolong the use of my gear? or just ensure an even hang every time? and how would i find my size/attach it, i remember shug said his ridgeline was like 90+ inches? thanks in advance.
    Ears
    No, you don't need a ridgeline with a sil-nylon tarp. I know from experience that the material is plenty strong for major nasty weather. And a downside to ridgelines is they provide a water drip path.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ears View Post
    this is the tarp i have, just found pics of it in this thread. how would i store the doors? right now i have one set of skins and misc bags, dunno how to pack em.
    thanks
    Could you just roll them up inside the tarp body and then slide the skins over everything? I know my skins fit over both my MacCat D and Superfly (each with doors), albeit snuggly. You'd just have to remember they're in there when deploying the tarp. I'm sure you don't want your door/end pannels to go flying off in the wind on some dark and stormy night while setting up in the rain.

Cheers,
    Mickey

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    ooo touche mickey..... yea ia have to find a decent method.....also half the door is held with velcro, im going to have to replace that sooner or later i think.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast