HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

UQ and SB. How low can I go?

I have been looking at the 3/4 Phoenix 40 degree UQ by HG and I use a 20 degree SB. I sleep pretty warm and usually don't wear anything heavy to sleep in. I used my SB a pad and reflectix the other day comfortably down to 45 degrees.
    I have never used a UQ so I'm just curious if anyone uses this type of setup and what degree you get too.
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Images
    This really depends on how warm a sleeper you are. I am a very warm sleeper, and have taken a particular UQ over 10 degrees colder than most. Your clothing and TQ have a bit to do with this as well, making it hard to judge by just the UQ options.

That being said, and you being a warm sleeper yourself, I'd guess you may get down to 30F with this set up no problem.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Only way to find out is to get and do some hangs with the gear in different setups, different temps, rain, windy, snow ect
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree....that would take a test or two to know. Thinking around 35º...maybe a bit lower with a good tarp pitch and a good meal before sleep.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ratings on an UQ generally assume you are using the UQ with a TQ. Using an UQ with a zipped-up SB CAN be a different thing.

If your 20 deg SB is down, the down under your body weight is mostly compressed and not offering a lot of insulation. OTOH I've always felt (based on my experience) that some synthetic insulation types retain at least some of their insulation even under body weight, as they are simply not as compressible as down (and those of us who try to fit synthetic bags in our backpacks know this for a fact!) My backpacking bag (a Eureka Casper 15 bag) will take me down into the mid-30's with no supplemental insulation at all, if I zip in.

So, "it depends". Just as a "for instance" I use a synthetic DD UQ which I guess is rated by DD to about 10F. FOR ME, what it does is allows me to use a synthetic SB to it's realistic rating (not advertised rating). With my Eureka Casper 15 bag, this gets me about to 25 (same as on the ground on a pad). OTOH my EMS Boreal 0-bag will get me to 0 or a little below, and my -30 bag will get me into the -30's with the addition of a CCF pad AND Molly Mac hammock sock.

So, after all that noise, I know the above based on backyard and camping testing and that's the only way you'll get the same kind of answers for you.

• + New Posts