Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post

A couple of thoughts on cold weather .... I would think twice about having ALL my insulation as down. A little bit of strategic synthetic can be a really good thing if the SHTF. It's happened to me several times at altitude .... And I was very fortunate to have some synthetic insulation in the mix.
    If it deep enough cold to remain well below freezing, the integration of VB clothing would prevent the possibility of down getting wet. The only possible way for it to get wet if if you spilled your drinking or cooking water on it.

That being said, synthetic isn't oblivious to moisture. If it gets wet enough, it will lose enough of its ability to retain heat to kill you as well. That being the case, what I pack for a winter mountaineering trip versus a winter backpacking trip differ quite a bit. High elevation, extreme cold and no trees means white gas stoves, a tent and enough insulation to reduce my chances of dieing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If it deep enough cold to remain well below freezing, the integration of VB clothing would prevent the possibility of down getting wet. The only possible way for it to get wet if if you spilled your drinking or cooking water on it.

That being said, synthetic isn't oblivious to moisture. If it gets wet enough, it will lose enough of its ability to retain heat to kill you as well. That being the case, what I pack for a winter mountaineering trip versus a winter backpacking trip differ quite a bit. High elevation, extreme cold and no trees means white gas stoves, a tent and enough insulation to reduce my chances of dieing.
    There is certainly no silver bullet .... Just strategies for dealing with a SHTF moment ...
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I just order one of the Shiver Shield jackets. I'll probably try this out instead of a bigger down parka. If it works, I will have reduced not only the bulk of my pack but also avoid looking like the Michelin Man. Hopefully it will arrive next week for me to try out. Now I just need some weather.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I just order one of the Shiver Shield jackets. I'll probably try this out instead of a bigger down parka. If it works, I will have reduced not only the bulk of my pack but also avoid looking like the Michelin Man. Hopefully it will arrive next week for me to try out. Now I just need some weather.
    Wow, Shiver Shield eh? This is something different. I've never seen such claims, looking forward to your test!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, Shiver Shield eh? This is something different. I've never seen such claims, looking forward to your test!
    Same here. I'm sort of banking on their website's claim:
    "We understand that it is difficult to order a garment over the internet without being able to try it on for fit and comfort. We want to reassure you that if you order a product from us and it is not what you expected or it does not fit as you like, if you return the product with the tags still attached and in new condition (e.g. no visible wear, damage, etc) we will exchange for a different size or refund your money."

I'd prefer that it works, but if it it doesn't I'll be sure to leave all of the tags on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345