Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    9x9 Tabernacle
    Insulation
    Exped CF & NEO Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Structural Ridgeline for JH

Is anyone using a structural ridgeline for their JH? I have searched through the forum, and it appears a few members are using a structural ridgline for their no nets or mosquito. I haven't found any posts that specifically talk about a structural ridgeline for a JH. If someone is using a structural ridgeline for a JH, what is the ridgeline length? I guess this is dependant upon where you actually connect the ridgline to the support straps.

I have been lurking through this website for a month or so, and I am really impressed with the information sharing going on here. Over the past two weekends, I have used my newly purchased JH on camping outings, and I slept great.

Also, I am looking to replace the stock straps with recommend straps that have been extensively talked about here. Since I will replace the straps, I am also considering adding a structural ridgeline for consistent hangs. I am 5'7", and I am using a 12' x 12' tarp (atleast for now). Up to this point, the tarp has kept me very dry, but the large size of the tarp has made it difficult to set up. Using a structural ridgline and encorporating a methodology similar to mikeinfhaz, I may be able to develop something that will help setup the tarp more consistently and quickly. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    the structural ridgeline will vary on length to your own comfort level. The JH as I understand it is a pretty substantial and roomy hammock. I would imagine that you could tie your ridgeline directly to the gathered ends... if you use the "no-net". On the Claytor Mosquito, there were already lines for the mesh netting so I just added bungee cording and glove clips. Then I will be able to flip the hammock over, use it like a no-net and wont have any issues w/ a ridgeline running under and through the netting. Just start with 15' of spectra and play around with it until it feels just right. you'll know when.
    One of the cool dudes on this forum gave me 10' of Camo ripstop... much more than I needed for a quilt so I just made a 4' 10" x 9' 3" hammock with the same basic design as the Travel hammocks. Sewn tunnel into both ends, where the webbing will cinch down and draw the ends together. I'll add a ridgeline to the support webbing and give you exact dimensions when its finished. And, Im going to do a 1 inch bolt on either side to make a pocket for head and feet.
    Last edited by te-wa; 05-05-2008 at 17:00. Reason: :)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    9x9 Tabernacle
    Insulation
    Exped CF & NEO Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    mikeinfhaz,

I figured it may just come to my specific preference for length of ridgeline, but I thought I would ask if anyone had added one for the JH. I will set my hammock up in the back yard and start changing lengths to find the best comfort level for myself.

Also, I have spent some time looking at your hammock setup; specifically, the ridgeline and straps while comparing them to others. It appears that your buckles are much farther away from the hammock compared to some of the other members here who went with 12" straps at the gathered ends. Any reason why you went with longer straps? I assume that you added the extra length to allow your ridgeline to be high enough to also support the netting. Also, nice job on modding the cord and clips to support quick and full functionality for the netting.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I always use loops to connect a ridgeline. This makes it easy to figure out how long it should be for any given hammock; get 10' of line, put a bowline loop in one end, and in the field try a bowline loop in various places on the other end until you get the length where it feels best when you lie in the hammock. When you think you've nailed it, sleep in the hammock at least one night to be sure. Then whack off the extra line and you're done.

If you're using really slippery spectra line, you might need a figure 8 loop instead of a bowline to keep the loop from slipping.

• + New Posts