90 x 70 Denier - 1.6 oz.

Hello all, I just bought about around 9 yds of 90 x 70 Denier - 1.6 oz. ripstop in a camo pattern from fabricsupplier on ebay(she does $5.00 shipping if you tell here you are a member of Hammock forums) and I have a question on its strength. I weigh 200lbs and I am wondering if I should double it up or is it strong enough in a single layer.

This will be my first DIY, just bought a sewing machine and 2 down sleeping bags for under and top quilts. I bought a 1920 Singer model 66 Redeye for $75.00 on ebay. Seems to work great and all metal parts. I will post a picture of it son.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    seb1008, First, I think there is a chart on Warbonnet's site about fabric weights and corresponding hanger's weights. You might check that out. I weigh about 212# and hang in a Grand Trunk Ultralight with no problems, but everyone has their own comfort level. Second, who was the seller on eBay for that fabric. Lots of DIY folks on this site are always looking to score some camo for a good price. Third, good luck with the DIY projects. Lots of help and information on this site to help you along.

Thanks Les Rust, I checked Warbonnets out and it looks like I will be ok with a single layer. The material just seems so thin I am afraid I would always be nervous about it giving way sometime.

The sellers name is " fabricsupplier". She is very helpful and she carry's a lot of different fabrics.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Teach me, please. How is it multi denier? Like 90 in one direction and 70 in another?
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    I made a ultra light hammock out of fabricsuppliers 1.6 multicam. I weigh 280. Nuff said.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    Teach me, please. How is it multi denier? Like 90 in one direction and 70 in another?
    I would wager--though this is without actually examining the item in-hand--that the 70d threads are the normal warp/weft threads and the 90d are the reinforcement threads, since it's a ripstop pattern.

Again, I could be talking out of certain orifices here, but it makes sense.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I would wager--though this is without actually examining the item in-hand--that the 70d threads are the normal warp/weft threads and the 90d are the reinforcement threads, since it's a ripstop pattern.

Again, I could be talking out of certain orifices here, but it makes sense.
    The different deniers (unless it's listed wrong, and it may be at that weight) would be 70d one way, 90d the other. It's called "warp and fill", where warp may be 70d yarns and fill 90d yarns. Or vise-versa. Neither should refer to the ripstop reinforcing threads.

We carry a 100d x 70d plain weave fabric - it weighs 2.8yds/oz^2. Generally, 1.6oz fabric is either 40d x 70d or 40d x 40d. Unless it's extremely loosely woven, a 70d x 90d should weigh over 2oz. There's a chance the 90d is actually 40d, and the numbers were smudged on the shipment. I have never seen a 90d fabric (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, most anything can be made).

Either way, it should be great fabric. They are a good supplier.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Thanks for the clarification, sclittlefield. It's definitely appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    If it's the 1.6 ACU that I got a month or so ago from her, it's a very loose weave. I tried to make some snakeskins out of it, and had to have over a .5" seam allowance just to keep the stitching from being able to pull off the edge. I ended up doing a "double french seam" with a very short stitch length. Rather less than ideal. I'm kinda apprehensive of making a hammock out of the stuff. I might make a tarp out of it and sil it myself.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I made a double layer hammock out of that exact fabric so I could slip a closed cell pad between the layers.

For my first DIY hammock, I think it turned out very well. I double stitched the long seams and triple stitched the short seams with close stitching.

I weigh 170 pounds. It's very comfortable and I have had no problems with the seams or tears in the fabric. I've spent several hours in it already and experimented with five or six different ways of wrapping the ends. One time I had the sides so tight I thought for sure they would rip when I got out, but it survived. I sewed a channel in the ends so I could try hanging it like the ENOs too, but I haven't tested that method yet.

Peace,

David

• + New Posts