Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Arizona Fall Hang 2011 - Trip Report

I've got to get this report out before MuseJr gets a chance to ruin my reputation

- - -

Well, we did it! The weather cooperated and we missed the rain and snow (the threat of precipitation forced us to move to a less-than-picturesque location) but we endured some cold temperatures. We'll just have to plan a little better to get to a location that works for more people! Sorry we missed so many hopefuls. We'll do better next time.

In attendance this year included MuseJr (all the way from Utah!), Swingblade, and dejoha.

Since we opted for the high country in Arizona, I completely re-worked my kit and brought a hodge-podge collection of warm-weather gear, including a new insulated hood I sewed up hours before leaving on Thursday. My pack weight, including 5 L of water, 12 oz of Heet fuel, and food for Thu-Sat, was 23 lbs. My kit was heavy and clunky since I brought along my bear canister and a huge IX hammock sock.

I was solo Thursday night and backpacked into the bottom of the canyon. The weather was calm but cold, dipping to around 23°F/-5°C. To conserve water, I melted snow for meals over a fire. Once the fire burned down to coals, I thought it would be a brilliant idea to dry out my shoes. After a few minutes I smelled plastic melting and pulled my shoes off only to discover I had melted one of my shoes past repair. Nice.

I packed up Friday morning and set up on a bluff above the canyon in preparation to meet Swingblade and MuseJr. Both hangers arrived before noon and we had a great time checkout out each others setup.

I was testing out the new Kammok Roo with Python Straps and a parachute silk single from Planet Hammock. Swingblade sported a beautiful Jacks "R" Better bridge hammock, and MuseJr displayed his Warbonnet Blackbird. MuseJr impressed us all with his kit, including a Mac Gear Hammock.

We kept MuseJr up as long as possible, but after being awake for 30+ hours, we called it a day at about 7:30 PM (MuseJr was asleep by 7:32 PM).

According to MuseJr, the overnight low was between 15 and 18°F/-10 and -8°C.

Inside my IX sock, the temperature stayed around 35°F/2°C and dropped to 23°F/-5°C by morning.

We all had a pretty good night, although Swingblade is ready to upgrade to a full-coverage underquilt. I think we're ready for the upcoming Arizona Deep Winter hang.

Click to see a larger panorama:

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    A big TY to dejoha for putting this together. My noobness was apparent & I learned a lot from both MuseJr & dejoha.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    It looks like you were cold in a couple of those pictures. Glad you guys had fun. Thanks for sharing.

Keith

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I've got to get this report out before MuseJr gets a chance to ruin my reputation
    What makes you think I would do a thing like that? You put together my favorite coloring book...
    (I knew I was going to hang out with a celebrity. I just didn't know it was Gumby.)

We kept MuseJr up as long as possible, but after being awake for 30+ hours, we called it a day at about 7:30 PM (MuseJr was asleep by 7:32 PM).
    Are you sure I made it that long? I think as soon as I got in the hammock I was out. It was nice to get 11hrs in the hammock and the morning temps made it much easier to stay wrapped up. I thought I was going to a warmer climate... The temp after the sun came up was 18*. (It was just as cold in Bryce on the way home.)

It was nice meeting both of you. I will be down there again in the spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Nice report. Sucks about the shoes.... did that justify sending in the bomb squad Just Kidding:

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post

"If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey dejoha,

Very nice shots of the trip, Looks like it was a little cool except of course for the shoe.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Images
    Wow that was cold early! Where in AZ were you?

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    I see a Guide Gear 12x12'. So where in AZ was your campout? Looks like my back yard.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    We had two guide gear tarps deployed. Until I can get a 4-door winter tarp, that's the biggest rig I've got. It can be unwieldy, but it worked in a pinch.

We were camped just above the fork with James canyon in upper pumphouse wash, about 15 miles south of Flagstaff, before you head down the switchbacks on HWY 89A toward Sedona.

The bag I'm wearing is the Selk'Bag lite. It's a 40°F wearable sleeping bag I'm testing.

And as I said over and over to Mic, this wasn't my typical setup but it is one of the most humorous.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thanks I remember your trip to the pump house wash.
    Ditto on the Gear Guide 12x12 I have one also.
    Love to have one in cuben. But might have sell a kidney for one.
    Selk'Bag lite wearable sleeping bag reminds me of the old German army
    surplus bugs with sleeves.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast