Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best expedition style hammock for tall people (6'3"), on a budget.

Hello All,
    I used a Hennessey hammock expedition for three and a half months on a bike tour through central america. My buddies loved it, but I would have preferred to sleep on the ground. Since then I have not hammock camped. This may be due to the fact that I had the wrong sized hammock (there was no choice as we got them free for the trip from hannessey, see ridingthespine.com).

I am about to embark on a new adventure, an ultra light 10 day rafting trip down the Franklin river in Tasmania through old growth forest. I am beginning to think that a hammock may be the way to go on this trip, due to the abundance of trees along the river and the tight gorges we expect to encounter with minimal flat ground. We also expect to have some poor weather (rain and cold, possibly sleet).

I have been poking around a bit and am thinking I am going to make my own or get something like a GT skeeter beater, or a hennessey explorer. However I like the idea of a double floor for extra skeeter protection/insulation. I am mostly worried that the GT will be too short, and that I will be cold, as I am not about to spend upwards of $500 on the pre-made insulation systems.

In short looking for long 2x walled hammock (for pad insertion) with mosquito protection and fly for under $150.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    A Warbonnet Blackbird is just a little upwards of your cost, and it has an integrated bug net, double layer option, and shelves for storing gear. It's also quite wide (5'6" I think), more than wide enough for most folks. Check out the website warbonnetoutdoors.com.

Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    No fly included; just remembered that.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BullDawg89 View Post
    A Warbonnet Blackbird is just a little upwards of your cost, and it has an integrated bug net, double layer option, and shelves for storing gear. It's also quite wide (5'6" I think), more than wide enough for most folks. Check out the website warbonnetoutdoors.com.

Welcome to the forum!
    My Warbonnet fits my 6'5" frame. You should be fine at 6'3".
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    At $150 it will be hard to find something that will fit, not impossible, just hard

At 6ft2" and 280lbs I will second the BB double hammock. As already stated, a little above you budget but a great hammock plus you could add a BMJ or Superfly Tarp for a excellent combo.

Nice thing about the BB hammock, if you get it and do not like it, you can sell it on this forum for almost full price and usually in under a day. Don't know of any other hammocks that can make that claim
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered fabric to make my own tarp and am going to llok around a bit at the BB's. Also trying a HH Explorer in person soon.

How about any suggestions for the best simple hammock (no netting or fly) for a long person? I'll just rock a face net if I have to.

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    The Night Owl is a long hammock which can be found on this site. It costs about $100. The Claytor Jungle hammocks are pretty cheap also. There is even a netless Claytor hammock which sells for around $60.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF! If you would like to try your hand at DIY there are all kinds of good info here on making your own hammock. If you make it yourself you can customize it to fit your specifications exactly.
    Terry

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Have you looked at any Grand Trunks?

The Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro is 10' 6", and is longer than the WBBB, though it is slightly narrower. I am 6' 1" and have plenty of room to spare. These can usually be had for around $70. Also consider the ENO Double. I don't recall the statistics, but I vaguely recall it is also in this lenght range, but wider. The GT SB Pro is a mosquito hammock; the ENO is not.

A year ago someone posted an excel document with all the major hammocks listed, including dimensions, weight and price. Has anyone updated this list and can you repost it for the benefit of those who have not seen it?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast