Question Best expedition style hammock for tall people (6'3"), on a budget.

Hello All,
    I used a Hennessey hammock expedition for three and a half months on a bike tour through central america. My buddies loved it, but I would have preferred to sleep on the ground. Since then I have not hammock camped. This may be due to the fact that I had the wrong sized hammock (there was no choice as we got them free for the trip from hannessey, see ridingthespine.com).

I am about to embark on a new adventure, an ultra light 10 day rafting trip down the Franklin river in Tasmania through old growth forest. I am beginning to think that a hammock may be the way to go on this trip, due to the abundance of trees along the river and the tight gorges we expect to encounter with minimal flat ground. We also expect to have some poor weather (rain and cold, possibly sleet).

I have been poking around a bit and am thinking I am going to make my own or get something like a GT skeeter beater, or a hennessey explorer. However I like the idea of a double floor for extra skeeter protection/insulation. I am mostly worried that the GT will be too short, and that I will be cold, as I am not about to spend upwards of $500 on the pre-made insulation systems.

In short looking for long 2x walled hammock (for pad insertion) with mosquito protection and fly for under $150.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by northcoastmountainrat View Post
    Hello All,
    I used a Hennessey hammock expedition for three and a half months on a bike tour through central america. My buddies loved it, but I would have preferred to sleep on the ground. Since then I have not hammock camped. This may be due to the fact that I had the wrong sized hammock (there was no choice as we got them free for the trip from hannessey, see ridingthespine.com).

I am about to embark on a new adventure, an ultra light 10 day rafting trip down the Franklin river in Tasmania through old growth forest. I am beginning to think that a hammock may be the way to go on this trip, due to the abundance of trees along the river and the tight gorges we expect to encounter with minimal flat ground. We also expect to have some poor weather (rain and cold, possibly sleet).

I have been poking around a bit and am thinking I am going to make my own or get something like a GT skeeter beater, or a hennessey explorer. However I like the idea of a double floor for extra skeeter protection/insulation. I am mostly worried that the GT will be too short, and that I will be cold, as I am not about to spend upwards of $500 on the pre-made insulation systems.

In short looking for long 2x walled hammock (for pad insertion) with mosquito protection and fly for under $150.
    Tarp, hammock with netting, pad and quilt for the weather you are describing.
    I don't think you can do it for <$150 unless you DIY and that could even be close.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You can get a Claytor, and there is one for sale here on the HF for $150.00 They are double bottom and include hammock w/netting and tarp. I have one, and they are nice, but you will need to change the suspension to lighten it up. I love whoopies..
    Plus you can use them on the ground if you are ever in an area of no trees.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    The Wilderness Logics Night Owl is the longest double hammock that I know of and it's just over $100. It does not have attached mosquito netting though. You might look for sale prices on tent footprints to use as a tarp and maybe a diy net?

Best I could come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to make my own tarp and then just get normal hammock without netting, then wear a face bugnet if bus are a problem. Also looking into a used BB.

How about the best large sized simple hammocks? No net or fly.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY in progress
    Suspension
    webbing
    Another option is Eagle Nest Outfitters (ENO)

A DoubleNest is plenty big and only sells for about $65.
    Their Bugnet is seperate at $54

The Problem is you are already around $110 and you have no suspension and tarp. You can finish it out with a cheap tarp and suspension for maybe under$150, but really for $200 bucks just get the larger Hennessy explorer deluxe

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/s...luxe_asym_zip/

Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Wilderness Logics sells a Night Owl hammock. It is a long netless hammock and is simple in its construction. It costs about $110.The Claytor netless hammock is an inexpensive hammock which has a price tag of about $60.

• + New Posts