Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep hammock

Jeep hammock

Hi. So after seeing this I would really like to do it for my camping trips. For a long time I have been researching some kind of jeep camper which is space saving, lightweight, easy to set up, comfortable and cheap. This is all of them. What I am looking for is advice on which method i should use to make a hammock for this purpose. I am under 6 foot and I have not measured the distance from corner to corner yet but how do I work out how long to make my hammock? I do not have a centre console to worry about so there shouldnt be a lot of clearance issue but if I can keep it nice and high and flat it would be much better. If I could fit a camp box underneath me with a fridge on top it would be great. I was thinking something similiar to a bridge hammock might suit since they do not sag too much and it keeps my laying flat. But I guess you guys are the experts so what would be recomended for this setup?
    For suspension i was planning on just have soft straps around the roll bad similiar to grap handles and putting hooks on the hammock so i can leave one end hooked on and just pull it to the other end and go to sleep.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have seen people strap one side to a tree the other side to the role bars. I've looked at this for awhile bc I have had a few jeeps. Please post pics when you figure it out
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

I would like to keep it inside the vehicle for ease of setup.
    Ill be sure to post pics.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    no need for hooks .. just use the straps .. tie a double sheet bend around the gathered ends of the hammock .. then tie it right to the roll bar...this would allow you maximum use of the length of the hammock ... given there is enough room ... from JJ's pic...looks like it
    my two cents worth
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If I remember correctly, Just Jeff said that this Jeep set up wasnt really comfortable.
    The span was too short.
    Maybe this Jeep will be better for hammock hanging...

Ambulo tua ambulo.

Im shorter than he is though and probably weigh less. Im only about 5'7" and about 60kg. I was just thinking hooks so i didnt have to tie knots every time. I balanced up on the roll cage this morning and I fit fine from corner to corner and I guess with sag i will fit even better.
    I wish I could stretch my jeep or buy an lj but unfortunately I cant afford engineering and ljs were never sold here.
    How do i figure out what size material I need? Given my height is about 170cm and so is the car corner to corner. I can probably get it near 200cm with a bit of work.
    Thanks.

I just tied a regular hammock up and omg this is comfortable. Now I know I need to lay diagonally it is almost perfectly flat. Unfortunately I look like an idiot laying in a hammock in my jeep in the garage but oh well. basically the drivers seat is flipped forward and the passenger seat is flipped forward like your getting to the jack, little lever underneath the seat to do this. Then push the passenger seat all the way forward until its hard against the dash. Then tie the hammock from front passenger to rear driver on the roll.bar and climb in. you have to be very short in a tj and the hammock has to be tight but its comfortable.
    Now as for building a proper camping one can I use a regular sewing machine or do I need a canvas place to do it?
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It was relatively comfortable...would probably be better for you since you're a little shorter.

But I wouldn't want to consistently put that much force on the windshield. The hammock would be putting a diagonal force, and the sport bar connects directly to the windshield mounts rather than to the roll bar...so that force would be transfered to the windshield hinges. Wouldn't want to do that long-term.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I honestly dont think my weight would effect it that much. The roll cage and windshield are very rigid and besides that I'm buying a roll cage soon.
    So do I use a regular sewing machine to build a hammock?
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A full roll cage would alleviate it. Other than that, setting the right sag may be a challenge so it will be a little tough to control the force you put on the windshield. I didn't hear any creaking when I tried it so I wasn't all that worried for the couple of times I laid in it, but I wouldn't do it long-term.

Yes - a normal machine will work.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast