WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

The Central FL 11 Hang Report

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the eleventh year, a group of hangers gathered at the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest in Polk County, Florida. The plan was simple, hike out to a hidden island of oak and pine to hang out together. Afterwards we would explore parts of the Lake Wales Ridge and attempt a hike to a couple of unusual Cypress trees along the shore of Arbuckle Lake.

Samsara, MAD777, Olddog and myself meet at the crossroads and after a few pleasantries, we journeyed in separate vehicles to the trail head where we donned packs and Olddog loaded his trolley.

[Olddog, his trolley and the dog.]

Olddog guided his kart along the trail with ease, even when blow downs where encountered. We made our way to the campsite and found Marty (hammock forum username unknown) already relaxing with his hammock setup. The remainder of the group then started to locate adequate hanging locations to setup. However, Olddog noticed that his tarp had somehow became missing and he had to return to the trail to find it, without the kart. Grinder shortly joined us and there was much rejoicing. We relaxed by the fire ring and made our lunches.

[MAD777 brought a collection of stoves for usage and display]

[Samsara borrowed one of the stoves to cook his sausage]

Unfortunately, Marty had to bail out from the hang due to a family emergency. We continued to lounge around the fire and observed everyone's setups while darkness began to fall on us.

[Great White setup at dusk.]

When darkness finally came we made our dinners and talked around the fire until we grew tired and retired for the night. The temperature fell into the 40s and the crickets where silent.

[Camptalk, from left to right: Olddog, Grinder, MAD777 and Samsara. You wish you where there!]

[Palmetto lite by fire light.]

The night was filled with sounds of the wind and a few hogs who moved by the camp. The moon made it very bright outside, it was only dark for a short time between when the sunset and the moon rose. When we awoke the next morning on the 12th, we finalized our hike and started out.

[The hike!, from left to right: MAD777, Grinder, Samsara and Olddog.]

We hiked through the ridge and observed the many different plants located along Lake Wales Ridge. We took a quick snake break at an equestrian trail head and then started for the lake. Shortly thereafter, at a crossroads, Grinder had to leave our hike to attend a wedding. But he planned to return later that evening to the campsite. During a momentary lapse of reason, Samsara led use down a different road then originally intended. We traveled for a while and attempted to locate the trail along the lake. After a few dead ends we discovered our mistake and backtracked to the correct road. We where then able to observe Arbuckle Lake in all of its glory after a lunch break.

[First view of Arbuckle Lake.]

[Another view of Arbuckle Lake.]

As we followed the lake shore we encountered the high water level and a stream that we had to cross.

[MAD777 crosses a stream flowing into Arbuckle Lake.]

[Following the trail. Left to Right: Samsara and Olddog.]

We observed a couple of fishermen in a boat on the lake. I wonder what they thought about when they saw us, I am sure they did not expect to see anyone on that shoreline.

[Fishing boat.]

The trail offered beautiful scenery of Arbuckle Lake.

[Arbuckle Lake with FTA blaze.]

We observed a few Golden Orb spiders high above.

[Golden Orb high above the water.]

[Golden Orb high above the water closeup.]

[A Cypress with an aerial plant at the top.]

The trail became flooded, but we smiled and continued on.

[Happy Hikers 1. Left to Right: Olddog, Samsara and MAD777.]

[Happy Hikers 2. Left to Right: Olddog, Great White and MAD777.]

We found the Cypress trees and decided to wade out and get a picture next to them.

[The first strange Cypress.]

[Olddog posses with the first strange Cypress.]

[Olddog posses with the first strange Cypress.]

[Another photo of the first strange Cypress.]

[The second strange Cypress.]

[A close up of the second strange Cypress.]

[The top of the second strange Cypress.]

We noticed a snake skin suspended in the tree.

[Snake Skin in the tree.]

[Up close and personal. Left to Right: Submerged cell phone, Great White, MAD777 and Olddog.]

After our success, we made a trek up to the day use area of the forest for a rest and then returned to our campsite. While relaxing after the day long hike, Malissa and David from the Florida Trails Association (FTA) arrived to join us for the hang. Grinder mad a triumphant return and there was much rejoicing. Much fun was had by all as we talked around the campfire that night.

The second night was around 10 degrees warmer and the crickets made their usual songs. The full group awoke the next morning and had breakfast together. Hammock setups where observed and MAD777 demoed his personal Warbonnet Blackbird for Samasara, and he was impressed. Melissa and David also enjoyed it.

Before we officially ended the hang, the party gathered in front of Olddog's hammock for a photo that is sure to make the history books.

[Group Photo. Left to Right: Samasara, David, Melissa, Grinder, MAD777, Olddog and Great White.]

I want to thank Samasara for planning the hang and providing me an award for submerging my cell phone, Olddog for his entertaining stories, helpful experience and flat wood match sticks, Grinder for his classic one liners, MAD777 for his wonderful stove collection, Melissa and David for helping to maintain the trails. To all of you, it was great to share your company. Thanks for a great hike!

If there is any information missing from this report or an error, please feel free to append any thoughts or facts that you deem is prudent to be included in the permanent record of hammock hanging.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Cool trees! Thanks for posting the great photos.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thanks for the report. Big for the pics.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey Great White,

Bluefin here...that sounds funny...two sea creatures talking about hanging from trees.

Loved the trip report. Great photos as well. I wish there were other hammock hangers near me, as far as I know, I am the only one in Newfoundland, Canada.

Thanks for a great trip report looks like fun was had by all.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great trip report, Great White, of a great trip!
    I thoroughly enjoyed myself on this first outing after a long hot summer in Florida.
    I love the fact that the trails in Florida are under water!
    Florida doesn't offer the scenic vistas of some high mountain range, but
    the odd variety of rare plants is a vista none the less interesting.

Best of all was the camaraderie among friends, some old and some new, around the campfire!
    Emcee, you were with us in spirit even though you had to leave early.
    Olddog was a tour guide of the flora & fauna himself, having grown up in that part of Florida.
    Grinder kept me laughing so hard around the campfire that I had trouble loading my stove with little sticks!
    It was a privilege to meet Melissa and David of the Florida Trail Association. Without
    their passion for maintaining the trails, we would be out there with machetes.
    And just look at the pictures taken by Great White! They speak for themselves.
    A very special thanks to Samsara for organizing a fabulous weekend and guiding us through this exotic forest!

Lake Wales Ridge State Forest is truly a wonderful place to hike.
    As a famous Governor of California once said, "I'll be back!"
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    My cell phone appears to have survived the water, in case you where wondering. It works with only minor issues with the display.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    good news about the cell phone. Now you know that you can take underwater pictures with it next time!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Nice report Great white! Never seen Cypress trees like those. Wish I didn't have had to work or I would of got to join y'all. Liked that you all had to do some swampfootin' trail hiking. Looked like a decent size lake.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    My cell phone appears to have survived the water, in case you where wondering. It works with only minor issues with the display.
    Great trip report and pictures! Thanks for being the trip photographer. I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing all of the different gear, techniques, and different ways to skin a cat. I am looking forward to the next group hang.

I wish I could say the same thing for my phone. It got crushed at some time in my bag and the screen no longer works. It's going to be expensive but I'm not crushed because I really didn't like the phone that much and will enjoy getting a new one.

Great time and hope to see everyone soon!

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Hennessy 1.6ULB, WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,Sierra
    Suspension
    Straps
    Wow looks like a you guys had a fun Hike. I would have loved to have attended but I was on a work hike on the FTA in Big Cypress this weekend. I met David a couple of weeks ago at a meeting of the FTA and the South Florida Water Management district. I think he just recently took over responsibility for that section trail. He gave a great presentation at the meeting and it was good to see his enthusiasm. Thanks for the pictures.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast