DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I know I am notorious for over simplifying things but... I just did away witht he ridgeline altogether. Now when I set my hammock up it is at the correct height because ther is no ridgeline induced 'lowering'. Yes, you gotta get the sag right each time, but after a gazillion set-ups it is easy to get it right, plus I am now using ring buckles so it is easy to adjust. No ridgeline and ring buckles (or cinch buckles) are the way to go for me. See throught he hype, let the revolution begin!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah that's all fine, but I hang a lot of doodads and STUFF from my ridgeline... socks, headlamp, sometimes a book, sometimes a drink... I'd miss being able to do that.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Yeah that's all fine, but I hang a lot of doodads and STUFF from my ridgeline... socks, headlamp, sometimes a book, sometimes a drink... I'd miss being able to do that.
    I do that too, when I use a bugnet because I use a ridgeline to hold that up. Without the bugnet, I have a white plastic trash compactor bag that I empty the contents of my pack into. It serves as a hammock side table. Sometimes I use the hammock suspension line right where it attaches to the hammock fabric for things too, but it is a little more difficult to reach. There are a lot of ways to place things where you can reach them without the bugnet, no so many with it.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    What I do know is that you need to know the span to determine how high to attach a hammock to its supports and how much suspension line to use on each end of the hammock...
    yep. And I'm such a quant that I've been planning for a while on marking my suspension cord at intervals of a foot (starting at the hammock end) to better estimate the span, and center the hammock. Once you know the span its a matter of doing trigonometry in your head to figure out how high to attach the webbing.

or just wing it.

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

hype

I find it very interesting how people get so worked up that everybody should believe exactly as they believe and act accordingly.

That's exactly what I see going on with this whole ridge line or not to ridge line thing.

At one time, people were arguing for a ridge line and presenting all the great things it does without really presenting the downside.

Now Youngblood has people proselytizing to ditch the ridge line by telling all of the really bad things about a ridge line and all of the good things about not using one. I think Youngblood would be a lot more palatable, to me at least, if he was a little more balanced in his arguments. Presenting one side only is no more helpful than the previous arguments about using one were.

I'm just waiting for the time that both sides realize that the other side isn't the devil incarnate and that both sides have advantages on their side and disadvantages on their side and present their pros AND cons without the inflammatory language so that a person can just try both sides and settle on using or not using a ridge line without the attempts to initimidate.

Once the presenters drop the attempt to intimidate, then a dispassionate discussion can start.

Jumping all over a post because you think it doesn't present all of your arguments in the best of possible light is not going to help either side.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    hmmm... maybwe it is just because my HH already has a ridgeline and I like to have someplace over head to stash my smelly socks, but I haven't seen any realy attempts to intimidate. I am not going to intentionally cut my ridgeline, but it is frankly nice to know that if it breaks I have not lost all structural integrity of my hammock. so I guess I am interested in both aspects of the question and finding information on both.

As far as making one of my own and so having to make that decision... My wife would pitch a hissy that would make the dialog here seem absolutely genteel.

But then as a newbie I guess I just don't know which issues are worth getting bent out of shape over.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i didn't really think anyone was getting worked up<G>.
    sometimes i think we perceive discussions to be more worked up than they are just because of our... well, our perception
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The tree distance, or span, doesn't directly cause more pressure on the ridgeline. It is smaller angles (ridgeline up to tree) that exerts more pressure.

When the suspension lines are pulled tight such that there is a near zero angle from the ridgeline up to the tree, the pressure on the suspension lines and the ridgeline approaches infinity when weight is initially applied to the hammock. haveThat is why it will always stretch, or in the worse case break, when you start from there. It doesn't take very much stretch to relieve that condition or to cause a lot of drop in the hammock when you start from there.
    snip
    For any hammock, you want to center it, level it (or put the slope YOU desire in it), and get it at the height you desire. To do that you need to know how high to attach it for the particular span you are using, how much suspension line to use, and use the same amount of suspension line on each end of the hammock. That is what you need to know whether you use a structural ridgeline or not.
    Got it, thanks

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i didn't really think anyone was getting worked up<G>.
    sometimes i think we perceive discussions to be more worked up than they are just because of our... well, our perception
    Probably - I still think that presenting BOTH pros and cons would be a LOT more beneficial to the forums and the presenters.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Probably - I still think that presenting BOTH pros and cons would be a LOT more beneficial to the forums and the presenters.
    that's true. the opinions i tend to like best are the ones that understand & talk about both sides of the story.
    i guess we sometimes just get caught up in telling about what we like best<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast