Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by DBasi View Post
    He seemed to stay on it all night or I would have heard about it. I also had my 9-year old daughter in a Hammock Bliss with a pad that night and she said she was warm as well. I believe I can get rid of my tents now and get each of my children (7 in all) their own hammocks. Now we just enough trees to hang from
    There's a book out called The Ultimate Hang that has a great illustration of a multi hammock hang using 2x4's, rope & rebar stakes that you may wanna look at.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    My son and I are both hammockers too. The local leadership claimed that hammock camping didn't satisfy the privacy requirements for Tiger Cubs. Did you have any problems with this in your neck of the woods? It's Florida for Pete's Sake....This place is made for hammocks.
    I'd do a search for the Guide for Safe Scouting and see if that has any guidelines in it for you. I know here Tigers, Wolves and Bears normally only go on family campouts with the Webelos doing the overnighters without parents. They prefer to have the Webelos to tent together to help them work on the buddy system, teamwork and such.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    My cub scout sleeps in hennessey. We are only hammockers in the pack. We will bring them around by being the last two to wake up every camp out and the first two to have our site broken down each day.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Youth Protection

My son and I are both hammockers too. The local leadership claimed that hammock camping didn't satisfy the privacy requirements for Tiger Cubs. Did you have any problems with this in your neck of the woods? It's Florida for Pete's Sake....This place is made for hammocks.
    I would ask your Council to show you that in writing. It is not in the Guide to Safe Scouting.
    I set up my hammock at Summer Camp this year, one of the Commissioners tried to give me grief sighting Youth Protection and I was exposing myself to the Scouts of my Troop. I had my tarp set in such a way that they could not see me, and I used another adults tent to change in. Then it became an issue of "Damaging Trees". I had to educate him on how Tree huggers leave no trace. Finally the situation was resolved when I very kindly showed him the rig and how I can do anything in the hammock that the tenters could to include maintain privacy.
    Now, things are a bit different with Boy Scouts v. Tiger Cubs, but Youth Protection is Youth Protection.
    I have been told I can not take the hammock to Philmont this coming summer. It is in writing, so I will not take it. They advise it is part of their bear safety plan. Not sure if I totally agree, but at least they took the time to write it.
    Ask your council, I am sure it will be nowhere to be found.

YIS

Jerry

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Great Nights Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    My cub scout sleeps in hennessey. We are only hammockers in the pack. We will bring them around by being the last two to wake up every camp out and the first two to have our site broken down each day.
    I am slowly chipping away at my Assistant Scoutmasters.. they are getting real tired of me telling them how great I slept during the night, when they wake up with aches and pains.
    Leaning over and getting the coffee started while still in the sleeping bag is a great selling point too. Have already converted a couple to the tarp.. now to get them out of the Bivy and in the air!
    They will come around.

Jerry

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    congrats to both you and your son for hammock camping while on cub scout event. When you do switch over to boy scouts, make sure you visit a few different troops and ask each of them about your boy being able to still hammock camp. Then make your determination of which troop you cross-over into. Trust me when I say that picking out the right troop will make a huge difference in how your boy fits into that troop. Also, give some thought into you also continuing to be a leader in that Boy Scout Troop.

I've never seen or heard of anything saying we can't hammock or that this doesn't follow Youth Protection. Our adults are never camped with the scouts. Near-by yes, but not with. If it's a long term camp, like summer camp, we adults will rope off our area and keep the scouts out. Even backpacking trips, adults never set up their camps with the scouts. Being female, I've got even more issues to worry about when hiking/backpacking/camping with the scouts. Following Youth Protection and keeping our camp sites seperated tends to work really well. And if I need to, I'll get a tent to use as a changing room.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon 70D
    Insulation
    EE Prospect
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    congrats to both you and your son for hammock camping while on cub scout event. When you do switch over to boy scouts, make sure you visit a few different troops and ask each of them about your boy being able to still hammock camp. Then make your determination of which troop you cross-over into. Trust me when I say that picking out the right troop will make a huge difference in how your boy fits into that troop. Also, give some thought into you also continuing to be a leader in that Boy Scout Troop.
    Our troop encourages hammock camping. I let the scoutmaster use a HH one night and told him that if he did not like it after sleeping in it for one night then I would quit harping on him to try it. The next day after tearing down camp and heading home he bought himself a real nice setup (no more tent sleeping for him ).

IMO there are no youth protection issues when hammocking especially if you have an adult tent to change clothes, etc. and you use common sense. It is no different than me sleeping in a tent except I am hanging from trees. Fortunately, this has never been an issue.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Hammocks are not mentioned in the Guide to Safe Scouting.

Here's what it says about privacy.... "Respect of privacy. Adult leaders must respect the privacy of youth members in situations such as changing clothes and taking showers at camp, and intrude only to the extent that health and safety require. Adults must protect their own privacy in similar situations."

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    We have no problems with privacy issues rt hammocks in our BS Troop. In fact all of our guys hang. Having been DM/SM for Tigers up through BS I cannot figure out this privacy issue. Cann't figure out why Philmont bans hammocks as well. My son went this summer and had to go to ground (Go lite 3).
    We build our hammocks for less than $20 making it much more affordable for our troop.
    Some of the guys go to ground in the winter and we can't get the Dad's off the ground.
    BTW Triggerhpy Ticket's done :-)

Hammock
    Treklight double
    Insulation
    DIY sleeping bag
    Suspension
    metal rings
    Will be taking my troop camping this weekend. It will be my first time in a DIY hammock I put together. Found out one of my Eagle Scouts who is now 25 uses a Hennessy, he will be using it this weekend. Hope this will get the rest of the Scouts interested in getting off the ground. I'm planning to have the troop make hammocks this Jan during several Scouts meeting and hopefully use this spring.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock for now
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm the adviser for my son and daughters crew and Asst Scoutmaster for my son's troop. We recently took some of the crew on an AT section hike we had 7 people (3 leaders and 4 youth) and 6 hammocks and 1 tent. The youth in the tent is now wanting a hammock as well. The troop is slowly being converted to hammock camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast