1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    ugh just found this thread and I'm at work.... maybe some lunch time viewing is in order!

Read your original post. I'd be happy to help bring that pack weight down. If you ever want my speadsheets just give a holla.

While I'm not blind I do have terrible vision (-6) in both eyes and my night vision is not so great for hiking which is why I hike during the day 99% of the time. In my last adventure Gear Slug tried to meet me at night and got turned around TWICE and made it back to the trail head. I've decided the only time I will hike at night is with someone else who can keep me on point.

Waiting to view your videos at lunch......

Raul
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Your uncanny humor is so addicting ... one of the reasons I had a blast hiking with you ... I'll take rocks over sand any day ... lot's of that where I'm from ... it just drains your energy ... you definitely need to drop some some pack weight ... that 10lb Starbucks mug might be a good place ... I prefer to not use the "L'' word ... aimlessly wondering at times and disorientated is my preferred method ... get 'ya a dehydrator ... your chili is friggin awesome ... and Oh... the dehydrator doesn't go in your pack ... it stays home...

Keep 'em coming my Brother ... that's some good stuff !!
    Black Wolf - That double-walled coffee mug definitely needs to go, but it's a sentimental favorite. It's actually a logo mug from a once-great company where I worked - Sun Microsystems. They have since been acquired by Oracle after a long, slow whirl down the toilet of capitalism.

Since I'm a pinny-pincher, I find the dehydrator rapidly moving up my purchase priority list (it nudged ahead of the Emberlit Stove, which I think falls into the category of "nice to have" rather than a necessity). There is so much value in a dehydrator, and not just for camping/hiking. I can get more produce out of my garden, I can make chicken or meat treats for my dog - the dehydrator is a money-saver all around.

Weren't you working on a solar dehydrator? That would have been a nice item to have on my trip - maybe I could have gotten some venison from those poaching Pineys and made some trail jerky!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    ugh just found this thread and I'm at work.... maybe some lunch time viewing is in order!

Read your original post. I'd be happy to help bring that pack weight down. If you ever want my speadsheets just give a holla.

While I'm not blind I do have terrible vision (-6) in both eyes and my night vision is not so great for hiking which is why I hike during the day 99% of the time. In my last adventure Gear Slug tried to meet me at night and got turned around TWICE and made it back to the trail head. I've decided the only time I will hike at night is with someone else who can keep me on point.

Waiting to view your videos at lunch......

Raul
    Water Monkey - I haven't given up on the concept of night hiking yet. It's a different skill set but I think I could get better at it, even with my limited vision. Besides, I have always loved the tricks that sound and vision will play on you at night. A pile of brush can appear to be some horrific creature - a branch rubbing against another in the wind can sound like some otherworldly being. Used to scare the crap out me when I was young but now I just find it to be comfortably disorienting. I guess I like being scared!

And I could definitely use your help with pack weight!

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Water Monkey - I haven't given up on the concept of night hiking yet. It's a different skill set but I think I could get better at it, even with my limited vision. Besides, I have always loved the tricks that sound and vision will play on you at night. A pile of brush can appear to be some horrific creature - a branch rubbing against another in the wind can sound like some otherworldly being. Used to scare the crap out me when I was young but now I just find it to be comfortably disorienting. I guess I like being scared!

And I could definitely use your help with pack weight!
    I could use a nap in those woods. I need help growing some facial hair... my beard grows in spotty HA!!!

<insert Just For Men's commercial> My Beard is Weird!

PM me your email address I can shoot you over my spreadsheet to give you some ideas. You can also check out my gear videos on my blog site to put some faces to the gear list.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Need to come to NC sometime

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Fallkniven - I had a permit, just couldn't find the campground for which I had the permit! I typically avoid camping anywhere in the state of NJ because the rangers are indeed horrible here. I'd rather go up to CT or NY where I know they're friendlier.
    You need to come down to NC sometime and hike around Uwharrie NF. I like to go there alone most of the time - nobody will go with me.

Invest $7 in a small wrist band compass - it helps in keeping track of your general direction. (I do carry a large Silva Compass, 1:24,000 map cut down to the area I'm hiking and a GPS - but they are in the pack).

I did love your clips - easy to put myself in your position. Pretty chipper "Oh, well, lost but I'll still have a good time" kinda' guy.

Hang in there.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Getting lost is kinda fun - that is - if you can get unlost. I've always been able to get unlost, so no harm, no foul. But I never really think of it as lost, more of a "change in itinerary."

When I was hiking above the tree line in Arizona, there was nothing but rock cairns to mark the trail. Needless to say, sometimes people would vandalize the rock cairns and tear them down, so there were no trail markings. I had the best maps money could buy, but when you are hiking on solid rock, and somebody removes the trail markers, you are screwed.

I suppose in the GPS era, this should be a non-issue. However, a GPS doesn't seem to me to be the ideal survival tool. I am sure some folks have survival kits that include solar panels to recharge all their electronics, But I'm still not sure my top ten survival tools would include electronics.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Loved it!!! I grew up in south Jersey and have spent my share of time in the Pine Barrens. Due to it's flatness it's really easy to get lost there. No reference points and every trail, dirt road and tree looks the same. Thank the Lord you didn't run into the Jersey Devil.

BTW, your assessment of the Pineys is spot on....an interesting bunch to say the least.

Miguel

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    Funny video, very funny... it's always a learning experience.

Sunny

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345