DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners

First hang: a little cold, uncomfortable

I did my first overnight hang in a state park campground Sunday night in a DIY Speer made from supplex nylon. The temp was 50* F at midnight, and reached a low around 38* F.

My sleeping gear and clothing:

• No tarp or bugnet
    • 20" x 41" x 1/2" CCF pad in bottom
    • 24" x 41" x 1/2" CCF "eggcrate" pad added on top of other pad
    • Ray-Way synthetic quilt (40* F-rated)
    • fleece jacket rolled-up for pillow
    • light polypro balaclava
    • fleece hat
    • polyester t-shirt
    • nylon hiking pants
    • light synthetic running socks

Problems
    1. Cold legs: I obviously needed some insulation under my legs, as the quilt wasn't wide enough to wrap around my legs entirely. My feet were warm, but there was a major cold spot mid-upper thighs where the short bottom pad ended. I got by by using some spare clothing to pad this area.
    2. Pad comfort: As I suspected, I really don't like using a pad in the hammock. My back was sweaty. I was cold with only 1 1/2" pad, so I added the second short pad under my back. Really I needed a longer pad due to my cold legs.
    3. Body position comfort: I'm usually a stomach sleeper, but occassionally sleep on my back and side. I couldn't get comfortable on my back because I felt as if my knees were being bent backwards. Maybe I need to work on getting a better diagonal position? Also, the hammock sides were squeezing my arms and wide shoulders, adding to my discomfort. I couldn't get comfortable on my side either because the hammock sides seemed to be pushing back at me.

I think I would like to add a Peapod or bottom quilt, but hate to increase the bulk, weight, and expense of my gear. (I intend to use the hammock for lightweight backpacking.)

Any suggestions for getting more comfortable and staying warmer?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That's a lot to deal with in one post. Let's break it down.

First, the shoulder squeeze. When you get that in a Speer-style hammock, it generally means that you didn't hang the hammock with enough sag. More sag will allow the sides of the hammock to relax and provide more opportunity for you to lay diagonally.

Second, the knee hyperextension. Take either a lightweight pillow (the miniscule-weight inflatable ones are nice) or even a stuffsack with some clothing and use as a pillow for under your knees. It is amazing how much that can help your comfort. Of course, the more diagonally you lay the less you need the pillow, but it's a good idea to use one anyway.

Next, the pad. Some people are just never comfortable sleeping with pads in a hammock, but there are ways of dealing with it. Look at the Speer SPE. It may be a solution that can suit you. Even if not, though, having enough pad to go the length of your body is recommended at the temps you were in.

As to the PeaPod, that is a very good solution. It wouldn't necessarily add bulk as you say because it is down and packs small, but it would add expense. Read this review of the PeaPod. You might find that in moderate temps you wouldn't need to use any pads with it.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 05-06-2008 at 10:54.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    angrysparrow pretty much covered all the bases. More sag, a full-length pad (with a covering of very light, breathable nylon to cut the sweating) and wear the jacket next time it gets near or below your quilt's rating, and you should be fine.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners
    Thanks for the tips angrysparrow and Hector.

I'll work on my hang and getting comfortable more in the backyard before my next trip.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Under quilts are great under insulation at less than 1/2 to 1/3 the bulk of pads.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

underquilt

Without an underquilt, and I have the JRB nest, you won't be warm below 50 degrees. Pads are bulky, a quality top quilt and underquilt will pack easily. I just added the JRB WS2 and what a fantastic product.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Without an underquilt, and I have the JRB nest, you won't be warm below 50 degrees. Pads are bulky, a quality top quilt and underquilt will pack easily. I just added the JRB WS2 and what a fantastic product.
    I've been warm at 10 degrees with pads only. Pads are also a much lighter option.
    That being said, I own 2 JRB quilts that I love.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've been down to the twenties with my home made synthetic underquilt and have stayed warm. I love it! I've been through every conceivable pad set up and have found the underquilt to be way less hassle. You could always add a thin pad to it if needed. I also agree that a nylon or some other pad covering will help somewhat with the condensation.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried a looser hang tonight, and I think that might work, especially with the knee pillow suggested by angrysparrow.

The bad news is that I discovered part of my general discomfort might be motion sickness, but I'll do another search and maybe a new thread about that.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Tom Hennessey suggests --- wear fleece to sleep....rather than use other less versatile insulation.

Maybe a super lite weight micro fleece top and bottom, a lite wt nylon pullover beanie and/or a lite streatch neck gaiter.

You can prolly dump one of the pads with this set up.

Also a very lite rip stop overbag or over hammock gives maybe +10 temp ....and flexibility.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast